Lip Sucking

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
Conure: Edward Van Halen (Hatched 03.2022)
Hi my baby Eddie (hatched 3/2022) has this habit now where when I take him out of his cage he starts sucking on my lips and holding my chin with his talons. Does anyone know if this is a sign of affection?

Also, here's a fun pic of Eddie sleeping on me lol

Attachments

• Eddie sleeping on me 11.2022.jpg
    Eddie sleeping on me 11.2022.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 47

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Awww you're both so cozy in this picture, I love it!

My guess is that yes it's affectionate but I have no idea, ha. Hopefully someone else will have a better idea :)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
With my first Quaker, I fell asleep on the floor studying and woke up with her cold little talons holding my lip and her beak up my nostril. I will NEVER forget how weird that felt!

It seems that many of us have birds who are obsessed to the contents of our nose and mouth. Kind of strange but consider that parrots feed and groom each other much of the day to maintain pair and flock bonds. I am sure your Eddie is focused on your mouth because he loves you. If he gets too pinchy remind him to be gentle and then remove him from your face until he figures out how hard a nibble is too hard.

OP
lgallagher

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
Conure: Edward Van Halen (Hatched 03.2022)
With my first Quaker, I fell asleep on the floor studying and woke up with her cold little talons holding my lip and her beak up my nostril. I will NEVER forget how weird that felt!

It seems that many of us have birds who are obsessed to the contents of our nose and mouth. Kind of strange but consider that parrots feed and groom each other much of the day to maintain pair and flock bonds. I am sure your Eddie is focused on your mouth because he loves you. If he gets too pinchy remind him to be gentle and then remove him from your face until he figures out how hard a nibble is too hard.
Thank you!!!!

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Kingsley(Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure), Ricky Roo(Red Crowned Kakariki), Oscar (Yellow & Green budgie -PASSED OCT2023), Vincent (White and blue Budgie)
I think its fine? just be careful because our saliva is toxic to birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts