Look What Showed Up at My Local Pet Shop!!!

Dec 2, 2012
California Motherlode Area
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
Look what showed up at my local pet shop!! I stopped buy to pick up supplies and chat a bit with the owner. Who was the son of the previous owner who bred Parrots for about thirty years. However when he turned the business over to his son that stopped. Although they occasionally they bring in a neat Parrot or two nothing spectacular shows up that often. This time was an exception to one of those times:D:blue::D.

wbvc.jpg

ge54.jpg

q248.jpg

pajh.jpg

gsh2.jpg

wmwz.jpg

aopy.jpg

A pair of Hyacinth Macaws (Anodorhynchus hyacinthinus) that are going to be tested for sex and age. Although the shop thinks they are a established pair. Then the one I have never seen outside of zoological collections was a Black Palm Cockatoo (Probosciger aterrimus). Then lastly there is a great Blue and Gold Macaw (Ara ararauna). The Macaws are for sale and the store owner said he would part ways with the Cockatoo only to the most serious buyers. If your interested send me a pm and I can send you contact information. Serious inquires only.

Last edited:

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Wow!!!!! I hope they all find good homes, is the store owner more concerned with the birds well fare than the money?

Last edited:
OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
Wow! The beaks on those hyacinths and the palm are ginormous! Gorgeous birds!!!

Yeah they just got them in they (Michele) were talking about trimming the beak on the Cockatoo while I was there. This shop (the family) has got plenty of experience with Parrots. Those Parrots may have been there less than 24 hours. This shop though is in a small town far away from any major city and to have found these kind of Parrots for sale in this shop surprised me. Even when they were breeding birds they did not bring Hyacinths to the store.

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
Wow!!!!! I hope they all find good homes, is the store owner more co deemed with the birds well fare than the money?

It is a family store the new owner is the old owners son. He grew up around a parrot breeding operation of thirty years. The Sr. number two Michele is the Jr. number two and she used to raise the babies of the breeding operation. However the current owner says he is seriously considering keeping the Black Palm Cockatoo.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I don't understand why they'd want to trim the BP2's beak... it looks pretty normal to me. *Maybe* just a tad overgrown, but otherwise, normal. That, and you can't test for age...

Anyway, what a great surprise!!!!! Some very majestic species! Wonder where they came from?

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
I don't understand why they'd want to trim the BP2's beak... it looks pretty normal to me. *Maybe* just a tad overgrown, but otherwise, normal. That, and you can't test for age...

Anyway, what a great surprise!!!!! Some very majestic species! Wonder where they came from?

They said they were bringing in a vet that could test for age and sex. As far as Parrots go they have got more experience then me. Allegedly the deal with these birds is they came from a Parrot lover who died. I can ask how they plan to test for age? That was what they were saying they were planning on doing?!?

They said the Black Palm was super friendly and jumped on Michele's shoulder as soon as it came in. While the Hyacinths pair were not friendly. Beaks to long or not I think all of the Parrots look great!

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
As far as I know there is no test for age, but eh.... they can guess and that's about it! Doesn't mean they'll be close! LOL Only way I'm familiar with is looking at the eyes, so am curious if they have another method.

It's too bad about their previous owner, though! :( But I hope they all find wonderful homes!

And if they are interested in breeding the hyacinths, I would recommend finding out if the two are related or not!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
They're beautiful!!!!! Too bad I'm soooo far away to even visit, I for one would LOVE to have a Black Palm Cockatoo, but I still think twice after the U2 that I rehomed....As much as I love Cockatoos, I'm more careful around them these days.....

The Hyacinth are just beautiful!!!! I think by having any one of those would break my bank...lol....They probably asking quite a bit for them and I would go broke....

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
It would be great if the Hyacinth's were not related to start off breeding Parrots with a pair of those. However I have got my eyes set on other Parrots for my next birds.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
If you've never met a black cockatoo before, I would highly recommend it! :)

They are different to their white cousins, and not in a bad way, either.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
The Black Palm are super rare where I'm at, never seen one in person before....Of course My Black Lory is pretty rare too, I don't know anyone in my state have one??? I'm a fan of Black birds, IF I had the opportunity to get a Black Palm, I think my partner would say yes to it. Perhaps one day?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I saw a black lory in a Florida pet shop... and oh my was it gorgeous!!! I mean, with the right light and reflection, the feathers were red and green and blue... they just shimmered! Also had fun interacting with the lory, but couldn't afford to get it at the time! Also didn't know much about caring for them, either!

Lories are very fun birds, but I wonder if I could keep up with the poop shootin they are known for! LOL :D

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
OMG, please don't mention the poop shooting.....lol.....We used to cover 3 sides of his cage because of it, but he absolutely despise being covered on those three sides so he would come out of his cage and yank them all off or start pulling on them inside his cage. My partner says to leave it off cause he hates them....So the poop shooter began shooting poo all over the floor and the walls, thank goodness they're covered with shower curtains now....lol....

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
If you've never met a black cockatoo before, I would highly recommend it! :)

They are different to their white cousins, and not in a bad way, either.

I saw a black lory in a Florida pet shop... and oh my was it gorgeous!!! I mean, with the right light and reflection, the feathers were red and green and blue... they just shimmered! Also had fun interacting with the lory, but couldn't afford to get it at the time! Also didn't know much about caring for them, either!

Lories are very fun birds, but I wonder if I could keep up with the poop shootin they are known for! LOL :D

OMG, please don't mention the poop shooting.....lol.....We used to cover 3 sides of his cage because of it, but he absolutely despise being covered on those three sides so he would come out of his cage and yank them all off or start pulling on them inside his cage. My partner says to leave it off cause he hates them....So the poop shooter began shooting poo all over the floor and the walls, thank goodness they're covered with shower curtains now....lol....

Sounds like too much fun for me.

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures

I called Michelle and she said that the vet can look at the reproductive organs of the parrots and give a some what accurate guesstimate of how old the parrots are. For example if the birds are not mature yet, in their prime, or are older and no longer reproductive.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Hmm.... that sounds odd.

I have heard of parrots still reproducing without issues right around their expected lifespan! I've also heard of birds who can no longer produce at half of their expected lifespan...

It's an interesting theory, but it doesn't sound very reliable. Then again, I don't know of any reliable way of determining age in parrots once they mature!

Anyway, thank you for getting back to me on that! I wonder what they'll determine with the hyacinths!

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
Hmm.... that sounds odd.

I have heard of parrots still reproducing without issues right around their expected lifespan! I've also heard of birds who can no longer produce at half of their expected lifespan...

It's an interesting theory, but it doesn't sound very reliable. Then again, I don't know of any reliable way of determining age in parrots once they mature!

Anyway, thank you for getting back to me on that! I wonder what they'll determine with the hyacinths!

They have got confidence with this technique. I have got twenty plus years keeping Parrots. Michelle has got thirty years experience breeding Parrots.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Black Palm 'toos are great birds. I know 2 personally, and there is 1 in a zoo near me, and I go just to see him. They are not at all as crazy as White 'toos. But, they are very loud, and need a lot of room & exercise. His beak looks normal to me. They generally have very long hooked beaks.

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
That is so awesome!!! The bird shop in Mercer Island has a Hyacinth Macaw but not the Palm!!! I want to go!

Most Reactions

Latest posts