Look What Showed Up at My Local Pet Shop!!!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hmm.... that sounds odd.

I have heard of parrots still reproducing without issues right around their expected lifespan! I've also heard of birds who can no longer produce at half of their expected lifespan...

It's an interesting theory, but it doesn't sound very reliable. Then again, I don't know of any reliable way of determining age in parrots once they mature!

Anyway, thank you for getting back to me on that! I wonder what they'll determine with the hyacinths!

They have got confidence with this technique. I have got twenty plus years keeping Parrots. Michelle has got thirty years experience breeding Parrots.
It's really very reliable. I'm sure they are having dr Scott McDonald examine the birds. He travels around and does that sort of thing every day. If you plan on breeding, i'd never consider it without having him examine my breeders. he can tell alot by lapiscopically examining them. Typically a hen will only lay so many eggs in a life time. If they where spaced out over her life time then ,yes she could be laying viable eggs later in life. However if you where pulling 10 -15 eggs a year to incubate then she could become "burned out" very early in life. A lapiscopic exam could determine if that's the case. The ovaries get dark spots and lots of "bumps" on them , scarred tissue.Dr Scott has examined many thousands of parrots this way and is pretty good at guessing age and is worth his weight in gold if you want to know if your birds are viable.(or even mature)

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
California Motherlode Area
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
The Black Palm Cockatoo is a male and has got a great personality. I'm not trying to make this a for sale thread actually. I'm just thrilled such neat parrots made it to my local shop. However I'm suspecting this Black Palm is going to be kept by the shop owner.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Unfortunately I'm not crazy to spend nine thousand or more on a parrot especially since I don't have that sort of money laying around unless I take out a loan....lol....So it would be a bird for me to adore from a distance.....

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
Unfortunately I'm not crazy to spend nine thousand or more on a parrot especially since I don't have that sort of money laying around unless I take out a loan....lol....So it would be a bird for me to adore from a distance.....

No worries this is just an extremely neat Parrot to see in a shop out near Yosemite. The only other one I recall seeing was at the San Diego Zoo. I think this shop is not in any big hurry to sell this beauty anyway.

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
It is sad though that both the Palm Cockatoo and the Hyacinth Macaws are Endangered species. I wish that was not the case. Whatever home they go to I hope it is to the best owners.

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Ooh that black 'too has me In love &#55357;&#56477; if I could afford him, or live near, I'd snatch him up in a heart beat &#55357;&#56472;
Just out of curiosity, do you know how much they're asking for the hyacinths? I hope they all go to good homes
Edit: I don't blame them for passing 9k.BPs sell for 18-28k.

Last edited:

TheAlberto

Oct 14, 2013
Rockhampton QLD Australia
Parrots
2009 Scaley Breasted Lorikeet "Squirt"
2013 Male Eclectus "Milo"
I have just found this forum and it is great. I rarely post on any forum, I just like to read all the helpful information. But seeing these pics I had to share this.

I live in Central Queensland Australia and I was lucky enough to do a 4x4 trip up to the tip of Australia (Cape York) last year. We were sitting at our campsite right up the tip and I could swear I heard a parrot talking. After a while it got the best of me and I went looking for the noise. It turned out to be a wild Black Palm Cockatoo sitting near the top of the tree that we were camped under. It was just sitting there talking to itself. I thought that was pretty cool. We ended up seeing about 4 in total during the three week trip, but this fella was the coolest. Was a pretty big deal for me to see these parrots in the wild.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I have just found this forum and it is great. I rarely post on any forum, I just like to read all the helpful information. But seeing these pics I had to share this.

I live in Central Queensland Australia and I was lucky enough to do a 4x4 trip up to the tip of Australia (Cape York) last year. We were sitting at our campsite right up the tip and I could swear I heard a parrot talking. After a while it got the best of me and I went looking for the noise. It turned out to be a wild Black Palm Cockatoo sitting near the top of the tree that we were camped under. It was just sitting there talking to itself. I thought that was pretty cool. We ended up seeing about 4 in total during the three week trip, but this fella was the coolest. Was a pretty big deal for me to see these parrots in the wild.
That's awesome!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Goodness, I am feeling some serious bird envy! Those are gorgeous!!!

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
What a beautiful creature. He looks like he's ready to go to a masked ball.

pajh.jpg

Yes, $9K isn't enough for that bird. They're really expensive, and from what I hear, the most difficult macaw to raise in captivity. I would have to build a giant sun room addition on my house for that animal, but he's worth it.

He's absolutely adorable.

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures

pajh.jpg

Yes, $9K isn't enough for that bird. They're really expensive, and from what I hear, the most difficult macaw to raise in captivity. I would have to build a giant sun room addition on my house for that animal, but he's worth it.

That actually is not the Macaw that is the Black Palm Cockatoo. Either way though he is a gorgeous bird.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The Black Palm are super rare where I'm at, never seen one in person before....Of course My Black Lory is pretty rare too, I don't know anyone in my state have one??? I'm a fan of Black birds, IF I had the opportunity to get a Black Palm, I think my partner would say yes to it. Perhaps one day?

Uumm... $17,000+ for the smaller BP2S. $26-28,000. for the Goliaths.

AND THEY ARE SPECIALIZED FEEDERS. PALM NUTS. $$$ Cha-Ching!

And that's IF you can find one.

Rachel had one. They are very unique personality wise, though hers was ill suited to a mixed flock setting like hers...

Behaviour wise, hers is more like a macaw, and less like a squawkitoo. None of the scream and pluck/hold me all the time nonsense. (Of course, she knew how to raise them.)

That bird became (and remains) her mother's lap bird.

Some day, my daughter will inherit it.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Hy-Hy's used to be my dream bird...

I played with them a lot when I lived in NorCal. (A friend of mine bred them. I used to go over and "help socialize" the babies... Yeah right! Play with them on my lap is more like it!) Why pay someone when you can get a macaw addict to come over and do it for free, eh?!

Now that I am older, I realize that my dream birds are actually the birds I am bonded to. Bringing in another anything would only change the flock dynamic of the birds I have...

Besides, my Maggie is as mushy as any Hyacinth I've ever played with...

On some level, a bonded Mush-Mac is simply as good as it gets! Doesn't matter the species.

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
I stopped by the shop today and the Black Palm was opening up to the store owners and singing. That Parrot singing has got the most exotic sound of any Parrot I have ever heard! The owners are saying they seriously doubt that they are going to sell the Black Palm Cockatoo. He was singing and eating a granola bar.

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014

pajh.jpg

That actually is not the Macaw that is the Black Palm Cockatoo. Either way though he is a gorgeous bird.

Thanks for correcting me, I meant cockatoo. :)

I had macaws on the brain for some reason last night.

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014
I stopped by the shop today and the Black Palm was opening up to the store owners and singing. That Parrot singing has got the most exotic sound of any Parrot I have ever heard! The owners are saying they seriously doubt that they are going to sell the Black Palm Cockatoo. He was singing and eating a granola bar.

I hope they put more toys in his cage, and give him a lot of attention.

Most Reactions

Latest posts