Look What Showed Up at My Local Pet Shop!!!

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
California Motherlode Area
Parrots
African Grey and Conures

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
I saw one that plucked all its feathers out. :(

He's in the front of the shop and they take him out of the enclosure daily regularly. I can suggest that they add more toys.

I hear they're incredibly intelligent, so they need brain stimulation too, kind of like Luci the Black Palm in this video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1BuSktYvaQ]Black Palm Cockatoo Luci tricks4 - YouTube[/ame]

Blueridge

Sep 16, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Rocky - Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
My local pet shop got a new sun conure in and I was excited about that lol. The hyacinths are beautiful, I've never seen one in real life before..

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I can't help feeling sorry for that bird. It's one thing to see Galahs and SCs as pets and kept in cages, but those are both extremely plentiful species in the wild. Palm Cockatoos are not. They're at risk because of habitat reduction and they've never been common, as the part of Australia they live in is in our smallest ecosystem. Not only that, but the highly complex social structure they maintain is pretty much unique among cockatoos and not very well understood. Yet. This bird, kept in a glass box and singing for its supper, ought not to be there. He ought to be at the top of a tree-hole somewhere in northern Queensland, banging a stick on a branch to call his mate. There's a video somewhere on YouTube called 'Australia: Land of Parrots'. Check it out some time to see what real Palm Cockatoos are like.

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014
I can't help feeling sorry for that bird. It's one thing to see Galahs and SCs as pets and kept in cages, but those are both extremely plentiful species in the wild. Palm Cockatoos are not. They're at risk because of habitat reduction and they've never been common, as the part of Australia they live in is in our smallest ecosystem. Not only that, but the highly complex social structure they maintain is pretty much unique among cockatoos and not very well understood. Yet. This bird, kept in a glass box and singing for its supper, ought not to be there. He ought to be at the top of a tree-hole somewhere in northern Queensland, banging a stick on a branch to call his mate. There's a video somewhere on YouTube called 'Australia: Land of Parrots'. Check it out some time to see what real Palm Cockatoos are like.

At the very least, these birds should be in captive breeding programs in large aviaries.

They have some in breeding programs in some Aussie zoos.

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures

At the very least, these birds should be in captive breeding programs in large aviaries.

They have some in breeding programs in some Aussie zoos.

The Parrot industry is what it is and there are many problems. We just have to continually strive for higher standards. This Parrot is actually in good hands with experience keepers. This parrot receives continual attention seven days a week from 7 am to 7 pm and is allowed out of the enclosure often. I hope at least your OK with that.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Oh my word, I wouldve maxed out my cc right there and then to get those hyacinths! All so gorgeous!
I've never seen the black palm before. What a beautiful bird!
Great to see such nice and well appointed cages in a petshop too. Had a shocking experience at a local petshop this weekend. The birds were kept in horrendous conditions and I had to report the store to the SPCA. I left in tears because the poor birds looked so stressed and unhappy :(

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
Some GREAT updated news about the Hyacinths Macaws. They were mating all Halloween weekend and Kenny the store owner decide to put up a nest box on the cage for laying. The pair looks to be preparing to lay eggs! I am going to keep everybody posted.

Last edited:

BeakFace

Banned
Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Black Palm 'toos are great birds. I know 2 personally, and there is 1 in a zoo near me, and I go just to see him. They are not at all as crazy as White 'toos. But, they are very loud, and need a lot of room & exercise. His beak looks normal to me. They generally have very long hooked beaks.

Very normal indeed! Solid black beak so age would be over 2.5 years of age.

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014
Some GREAT updated news about the Hyacinths Macaws. They were mating all Halloween weekend and Kenny the store owner decide to put up a nest box on the cage for laying. The pair looks to be preparing to lay eggs! I am going to keep everybody posted.

I take it they're going to sell babies then.

BeakFace

Banned
Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Please put some toys and foraging items as well. Sad to see an empty cage.OMG, please!

BeakFace

Banned
Banned
Jan 23, 2013
He's in the front of the shop and they take him out of the enclosure daily regularly. I can suggest that they add more toys.

I hear they're incredibly intelligent, so they need brain stimulation too, kind of like Luci the Black Palm in this video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1BuSktYvaQ]Black Palm Cockatoo Luci tricks4 - YouTube[/ame]

I own a young Palm and they do need a lot of stimulation. Lucy learned those tricks in just a couple of weeks. I stay in touch with the owner, we are part of a Palmy Mommies Group, very small group indeed.

Last edited:

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014
LOL, "Palmy Mommies Group?" That's cute.

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures

First things first they have to produce babies first before they can decide what is going to happen with them.

Please put some toys and foraging items as well. Sad to see an empty cage.OMG, please!

The Black Palm is receiving a lot of attention and those are old pictures. Next time when I go to the shop if there are not any toys in the cage I am going to request that they put some in the cage.

BeakFace

Banned
Banned
Jan 23, 2013

First things first they have to produce babies first before they can decide what is going to happen with them.

The Black Palm is receiving a lot of attention and those are old pictures. Next time when I go to the shop if there are not any toys in the cage I am going to request that they put some in the cage.
Thank you! Hopefully that has already been done.

MangieSun

Jan 22, 2014
California
Parrots
Mangie- Sun Conure
Pixel- cockatiel
Jasper- bare eyed cockatoo
Beautiful birds. Glad they found a home.

I am also from the Motherlode:). Grew up in Amador and my dad lived in Calaveras.

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
Beautiful birds. Glad they found a home.

I am also from the Motherlode:). Grew up in Amador and my dad lived in Calaveras.

I happy they found a good home too! You should stop by Mclouds Pet Emporium in Sonora and have a look before they go:blue:. The Palm Cockatoo is something special. Cheers!

Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts