Looking for advice on household bird stuff

lyss802

Apr 18, 2018
Vermont
Parrots
Flash, Green cheek conure
Hey everyone!!

My GCC is very new to us, we've only had him sence 4/10. I've always been a huge dog lady and not a single person I know has really owned a bird, I just live in Vermont and it's so uncommon here. So when deciding to get a bird I did a ton of research to find out what type of bird would most likely fit our home (me and my boyfriend in an apartment) and then I bought a couple books on that type of bird and went to every store we have around us with birds or bird things to see personalities and make sure the real thing is what we really wanted, a GCC. No breeder in Vermont and no rescue had any... they only place that did was petco. We fell inlove and I went back every weekend for two months while making sure we were completely ready to visit them. We've sence taken home flash and gotten him to switch from an only seed diet to the Harrison's diet ( I keep seeing that when researching) and that's going well. But as a new parrot owner I keep learning and getting some conflicting information. I'm looking into an air purifier for him (and us) ..... any suggestions in what I need to look for or brands? Are uv lamps necessary? He just fell inlove with his happy hut and now I'm finding I need to get rid of it (reading to manny horror story's) what's a good alternative that is safe and still fuzzy... he has a coconut hut too but I think he likes the fuzz on the happy one. Safe plants he can also munch on? I want to put one so he has some green falling in his cage. Any other ideas of things I should look into and get that might not be talked about often.... nothing is to much for our baby. We want him as happy and healthy as can be.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrot Forums!

Sorry, that your Thread had been missed, so this Post will get you bumped back-up the Board.

Lots of questions, many have been addressed and can be found within the different Forums and also by using the Search feature.

This time of year and into the early Fall, there is really no need to use additional light sources. Just get your Parrot into a window that the Sun is shining. But, if you are upgrading to LED, Daylight series bulbs, add them into your home.

I am certain that others will address your other questions.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Hey there welcome! You sound like you are well on the path of creating a stellar bird home!

Many fruit trees are safe, as are hibiscus if you wanted to try doing a living play area(it will probably be murdered by your GCC unless you give the plant regular breaks from The Beak).

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Hey everyone!!

My GCC is very new to us, we've only had him sence 4/10. I've always been a huge dog lady and not a single person I know has really owned a bird, I just live in Vermont and it's so uncommon here. So when deciding to get a bird I did a ton of research to find out what type of bird would most likely fit our home (me and my boyfriend in an apartment) and then I bought a couple books on that type of bird and went to every store we have around us with birds or bird things to see personalities and make sure the real thing is what we really wanted, a GCC. No breeder in Vermont and no rescue had any... they only place that did was petco. We fell inlove and I went back every weekend for two months while making sure we were completely ready to visit them. We've sence taken home flash and gotten him to switch from an only seed diet to the Harrison's diet ( I keep seeing that when researching) and that's going well. But as a new parrot owner I keep learning and getting some conflicting information. I'm looking into an air purifier for him (and us) ..... any suggestions in what I need to look for or brands? Are uv lamps necessary? He just fell inlove with his happy hut and now I'm finding I need to get rid of it (reading to manny horror story's) what's a good alternative that is safe and still fuzzy... he has a coconut hut too but I think he likes the fuzz on the happy one. Safe plants he can also munch on? I want to put one so he has some green falling in his cage. Any other ideas of things I should look into and get that might not be talked about often.... nothing is to much for our baby. We want him as happy and healthy as can be.

1. Air Purifier: I don't have one myself, but I plan to get one eventually. This thread has some good suggestions. Surroundair seems to be well thought of.
  2. UV lamps: Another thing I don't have. Some people swear they are essential, others think of them as optional. If/when I get one, I'd just get whatever light fixture I like (find some nice floor lamp) and get a full spectrum bulb from the pet store or even hardware store. Sorry I can't say anything more helpful on this one.
  3. Happy Huts: My Yoda doesn't use one, I've read too many horror stories about birds choking on the cloth fibers. I've also read that a nest like bed might trigger hormonal behaviors. Even so, I made Yoda a little grass mat swing/platform and he loves it. Consider something like these options: Super Bird SeaGrass Tent or Natural Nests
  4. Safe Plants: Houseplants Safe for Birds
  5. Other advice: You've come to the right place! These forums are a treasure of good advice and wonderful people to share stories, questions, challenges and triumphs with. Harrison's pellets are great, consider adding some fresh veggies once a day (cooked or raw or even thawed frozen veggies). Last but not least, try making your own toys. It's fun, and economical. :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yep, seagrass huts, fleece huts or carboard tubes with thick walls are all good alternatives to the happy hut ( death huts) offered in most pet store chains. And they dont care that the things are dangerous, you have to buy another bird, cha-ching $$. THere are soooo many people on this board that have GCC's, you'll find the answers tomost of your questions. Every parrot has his/hers own personality, Flash no doubt will develope his, as the Honeymoon period wears off. Just remember, you only want to have him associate you and your hubby with good things. Is he flighted? How do you get him back in his cage?

Treats rule!

Most Reactions