Looking for help

Tazman12

Apr 21, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Our GCC has had an ongoing feather / skin issue for quite some time now and we have been to vet 4 times now... going again Monday. She started out with a dry kind of bald spot on top of both wings... took her to first vet and had blood work done. Only low in calcium and said she needed regular baths an sun. Diet at that time was just store bought and she picked out mainly the sunflower seeds. We have a screened pool enclosure which she has free roam so she gets plenty. She saw a different vet and was started on oral antibiotics as they thought she got an infection when she pulled out a feather ? Diet for a while now is cooked meals from "Bird Street Bistro" and also mix in Harrisons Lifetime pellets... gets Lafebers's Garden Veggie Berries mainly as treats or if still wanting to eat. She is very normal otherwise, very social and shows now other "symptoms" - just wondering if anyone's seen anything like this ? (wet pics are the older ones)

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 52

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello and welcome to the forums! Despite feather issues she us a super cutie!

Feather destructive behavior is less common in green cheeks. But it looks like she does barber some.. it a complex issue. But I see all the white flakes like she really does have dry skin...why h would be unusual with a humid pool nearby, baths offered , and a healthy diet...

Could she be sensitive to the chlorine of the pool?

I'm glad you've sought veterinarian guidance!! Best place to start .

I'm not really sure how to help. But maybe others will. Hope you will stick around and join in great group here

OP
T

Tazman12

Apr 21, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
She isn't doing this to herself so quite a mystery at this point.. thanks for the reply

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
She may not be .
But it is a common spot for them to barber feathers...and they are sneaky when they do. I have a plucker and most of her plucking happens at night and I don't see her do it. Some of the feathers look like she has snipped the ends off tho.

What is her weight? She looks a tad thin , but that's always hard to tell in photos.

How do poops look?

Does she eat veggies? Ones with vitamin A are helpful with skin. Cooked sweet potatoes, or squash, even cooking carrots makes the beta carotene more available. Bell pepper. Romaine lettuce.

I do hope you find a solution.

Most Reactions