Looking to connect with any Vasa owners

OP
B

Brittany0208

May 21, 2018
I have no knowledge of how long he's been without the leg or whether the raccoon made it into the aviary or simply reached through the bars. Knowing how skittish Java is, I can assume the animal made its way into the aviary. Unfortunately, because of the negligence, Java lost a leg and his remaining leg is very damaged. Essentially, he's a sitting duck, and struggles to get around. He also wasn't allowed to fledge so he has no clue how to fly without slamming into what's in front of him.
We've made a lot of progress thus far, and even if he never gains mobility, he'll always have me. :)

It's good to know that he'll always be your boy. You obviously love him a lot and have a big heart, for rescuing him ;)

No one's perfect. I wish my birds werent so skittish, but from what Ive read, there's a chance that they always will be. I still love them with everything in me; and Im sure it is the same for you.

And yeah; that raccoon story is fishy as hell. How does a raccoon, who eats meat, chew on a leg an not infect the bird with their saliva, at least?

Anyway, cant wait to hear more about Java, and his progress :)
Yeah, I'm very curious about how he lucked out against raccoon saliva. Either he was extremely lucky or he lost his leg through another means. Unfortunately, I'll never know. When I asked the breeder about medical records, she said she didn't have any since she got him from a 'friend'. I call BS but it is what it is.

OP
B

Brittany0208

May 21, 2018
Yes, in January, I'll be traveling 3 hours away to a veterinary university where they have a 3D printer, and it is there that he will be fitted with a prosthetic. I'm excited but nervous at the same time since it'll be the first time he's been in a car for that long, and it'll be cold. We'll also have to book a hotel for a few days, so I have to get him a travel carrier for that.

OP
B

Brittany0208

May 21, 2018
[ame="https://youtu.be/A8OzeFkqdxw"]Our duet - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://youtu.be/jD5EzXMSASE"]He doesn't want to make friends - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://youtu.be/lqXBWeflj8o"]Sound the alert! - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://youtu.be/Sfc6Oun1-iw"]Finding his voice - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://youtu.be/QmaA3VlI_s8"]Bird is the word - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
OP
B

Brittany0208

May 21, 2018
i never heard about vasas then i google them what a amazing bird this is!
I agree. I had no idea what they were until I ran across Java's posting, and even 9 months later, information on them is still scarce.

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
Yes, in January, I'll be traveling 3 hours away to a veterinary university where they have a 3D printer, and it is there that he will be fitted with a prosthetic. I'm excited but nervous at the same time since it'll be the first time he's been in a car for that long, and it'll be cold. We'll also have to book a hotel for a few days, so I have to get him a travel carrier for that.

That is so wonderful! I should have known it would be a 3D printer advancement; how cool. Keep us posted, along your journey, if you can; it'll be really educational.
I'd be overcautious, too, if I were traveling and stuff, but I think you're going to do well.

Thank you so much for the clips, too!
I love the little guy. He has such a sweet baby voice :) I can def'ly hear what they called the squeaky door sound, but that must be their call in the wild, no? You can tell in your clips that his feathers are Vasa brown, instead of dark grey, like they seem to photograph in a lot of the pics and clips out there. He reminds me of a tiny eagle, with his feathers and his long neck.
This little guy deserves a good life now, and Im so happy to hear how dedicated you are to him. He seems to have a pretty good disposition, even though he had a rough break. He was not having any of the "Let's shake on it," though. I was cracking up; my mom used to say that exact same thing, when she was trying to make friends with a fussy baby or strange animal. It's a risky proposition, at best ;p

OP
B

Brittany0208

May 21, 2018

That is so wonderful! I should have known it would be a 3D printer advancement; how cool. Keep us posted, along your journey, if you can; it'll be really educational.
I'd be overcautious, too, if I were traveling and stuff, but I think you're going to do well.

Thank you so much for the clips, too!
I love the little guy. He has such a sweet baby voice :) I can def'ly hear what they called the squeaky door sound, but that must be their call in the wild, no? You can tell in your clips that his feathers are Vasa brown, instead of dark grey, like they seem to photograph in a lot of the pics and clips out there. He reminds me of a tiny eagle, with his feathers and his long neck.
This little guy deserves a good life now, and Im so happy to hear how dedicated you are to him. He seems to have a pretty good disposition, even though he had a rough break. He was not having any of the "Let's shake on it," though. I was cracking up; my mom used to say that exact same thing, when she was trying to make friends with a fussy baby or strange animal. It's a risky proposition, at best ;p
That was my grandmother in the clip lol even now she says he sounds like a toy when he chirps.
He was really brown when he came home. I'm fact, he still going through molt. Most of his tail feathers broke off within a few days of him arriving.
He reminds me of a little turkey mixed with a crow, eagle, pigeon and vulture lol I feel very fortunate to have him.
And I agree about him having a great disposition despite his past. It could also be a Vasa thing since the males are very passive while the females are the dominant and aggressive of the species. Still, he's very laid back, content with just watching what goes on around him as long as I'm within sight. He's a mama's boy which I don't mind at all. I can't imagine what it must've been like to have no interaction for 9 years, no name, no toys. But those days are behind him. And I will definitely keep everyone updated about our journey to getting him his leg :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'

I am so happy for Java! Judging by those videos, he seems like such a sweet boy (except maybe towards your grandma lol). How fortunate he was to land (pun intended) with you. It's amazing you've found a way to help him regain some mobility and have been doing a wonderful job accommodating his special needs.

Out of curiosity, have you considered contacting any kind of media outlet about his story? Rare, previously mistreated special needs parrot gets a new leg and a new lease on life? With so much bad in the world, this has heartwarming news story written all over it and a chance to show others who might have disabled pets technology is helping animals. I know I'll be following his story :)

Last edited:
OP
B

Brittany0208

May 21, 2018

I am so happy for Java! Judging by those videos, he seems like such a sweet boy (except maybe towards your grandma lol). How fortunate he was to land (pun intended) with you. It's amazing you've found a way to help him regain some mobility and have been doing a wonderful job accommodating his special needs.

Out of curiosity, have you considered contacting any kind of media outlet about his story? Rare, previously mistreated special needs parrot gets a new leg and a new lease on life? With so much bad in the world, this has heartwarming news story written all over it and a chance to show others who might have disabled pets technology is helping animals. I know I'll be following his story :)
Thank you. I've thought about it but I wouldn't know where to start, and part of me is cautious just because he is such a rare species. I wouldn't want to put him in the spotlight, but I would love to be able to help other pet owners with disabled animals who may not know that there is technology out to help their companions.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
This is so awesome!
In watching your gma and Java, she may be prompting him to nip! He doesn’t like her reaching over his head, so don’t! Try giving him beak rubs instead! I have had my JoJo 4 years and the only time I can reach over his head is when he is soaked from a fresh bath!
I had my entire relationships with parrots changed around by this thread!
http://www.parrotforums.com/training/57935-brainstorming-biting-parrots.html

OP
B

Brittany0208

May 21, 2018
Yeah, I've since learned that he doesn't like that, even though he's mostly okay when I do it. In fact, he rarely lets anyone else pet him, so I'm assuming he'll always be standoffish. Even when I pet him, he'll beak me just a little and if I persist, he bites harder, so I've learned to give him his space. When he's away from his cage, I can scratch his head, neck, cheek, chin, and beak with no problem. He'll also start preening himself or me when I do, but as far as anyone else, he makes it clear that he doesn't like it.
I try to explain to my family that he doesn't like people standing behind him or reaching above/behind him, so now he usually resorts to yelling and lunging when he thinks they're going to try to pet him. Even when they go slow or offer food, he'll usually bypass the food and chomp down. I tell them that he's letting them know he doesn't want to be pet, and they are slowly coming around to accepting that he may always be extra bitey with them.

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
That was my grandmother in the clip lol even now she says he sounds like a toy when he chirps.
He was really brown when he came home. I'm fact, he still going through molt. Most of his tail feathers broke off within a few days of him arriving.
He reminds me of a little turkey mixed with a crow, eagle, pigeon and vulture lol I feel very fortunate to have him.
And I agree about him having a great disposition despite his past. It could also be a Vasa thing since the males are very passive while the females are the dominant and aggressive of the species. Still, he's very laid back, content with just watching what goes on around him as long as I'm within sight. He's a mama's boy which I don't mind at all. I can't imagine what it must've been like to have no interaction for 9 years, no name, no toys. But those days are behind him. And I will definitely keep everyone updated about our journey to getting him his leg :)

:p Your grandma mustve grown up around my mom. She also used to say, "Put a nickle in it." Run that by your grandma and see if she knows that one. She used that phrase when she wanted us to stop lollygagging, but Im not sure how that has anything to do with nickles, or putting them in things, lol

That makes me so, so sad, to think of this poor baby neglected and worse for 9 damn years. (I dont know whats wrong with people like that, but I sure wish there was a cure.)

But it also makes me so happy to see him form a bond with you, and interact, and that he had the ability to do so, after what he was put through. it's a minor miracle.

I have Bourke's parrots; the rosy ones (pink). But they have a natural brownish feathering; and that is the one that I favor. I love all the bright beautiful colors of the other birds; they are gorgeous. But Im drawn to the more natural feathers. I think maybe because my first interaction with a bird was rescuing a crow with a broken leg. It was so majestic.

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
Thank you. I've thought about it but I wouldn't know where to start, and part of me is cautious just because he is such a rare species. I wouldn't want to put him in the spotlight, but I would love to be able to help other pet owners with disabled animals who may not know that there is technology out to help their companions.

I wish more bird owners were as thoughtful and conscientious as you are, about your bird. I'd have the same exact thoughts.
Kiwi had a good idea, and I think it could help educate the public.

I'd just try to tape everything you can, if you can without upsetting Choco (maybe have your sibling or friend stand and film him from afar?) Im sure he's going to be anxious and looking at you for assurance.

You can always just email the person who does the feel-good segments on your local news, and send them a clip. Let them know it will educate the public, and they should get back to you. Or if youre too modest, someone else can do the writing and mailing ;p

Or submit it to The Dodo. Theyll put some dramatic then cheerful music score behind it, and we will all have a cry, then a cheer.

Hope things go well!

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
Yeah, I've since learned that he doesn't like that, even though he's mostly okay when I do it. In fact, he rarely lets anyone else pet him, so I'm assuming he'll always be standoffish. Even when I pet him, he'll beak me just a little and if I persist, he bites harder, so I've learned to give him his space. When he's away from his cage, I can scratch his head, neck, cheek, chin, and beak with no problem. He'll also start preening himself or me when I do, but as far as anyone else, he makes it clear that he doesn't like it.
I try to explain to my family that he doesn't like people standing behind him or reaching above/behind him, so now he usually resorts to yelling and lunging when he thinks they're going to try to pet him. Even when they go slow or offer food, he'll usually bypass the food and chomp down. I tell them that he's letting them know he doesn't want to be pet, and they are slowly coming around to accepting that he may always be extra bitey with them.

After all he's been through? HE gets to call all the shots, now.

Listen up, family! There's a new sheriff in town ;p

OP
B

Brittany0208

May 21, 2018
Lol my mom actually calls him the warden because he screams whenever I leave the room. If I go in the kitchen for something, my grandmother will ask," did you make sure it was okay with Java for you to leave the room?" LMAO!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Lol my mom actually calls him the warden because he screams whenever I leave the room. If I go in the kitchen for something, my grandmother will ask," did you make sure it was okay with Java for you to leave the room?" LMAO!

So sweet! Bumble does it too, and I only have 2 rooms so it’s not like I’ve gone far! Warms my heart that she doesn’t want me out of her sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aspie_Aviphile

Jul 19, 2018
England
Parrots
Biddy, budgie, departed 2nd Sept 2018; Bo, Indian Ringneck, 5th Feb 2020; </3
And yeah; that raccoon story is fishy as hell. How does a raccoon, who eats meat, chew on a leg an not infect the bird with their saliva, at least?

Raccoon decoys scare caged animals into fleeing to different sides of the cage in panic, where they get grabbed by another, waiting raccoon. They can tear a bird apart with their hands in this way.

OP
B

Brittany0208

May 21, 2018
Yeah, I don't know if his leg was chewed or ripped, but since he has damage in his remaining leg, I'm leaning more towards chewed. Poor guy, but he gets around okay.

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots

Raccoon decoys scare caged animals into fleeing to different sides of the cage in panic, where they get grabbed by another, waiting raccoon. They can tear a bird apart with their hands in this way.

That's interesting. It's always interesting to me how animals work as a team/pack. I read somewhere that a coyote in an urban setting will sometimes deliberately go past a dog, acting as bait. So that when the dog runs after it down the street, when it gets to the crossing, another coyote or more will jump out at the dog, and grab it by the neck, I guess. The meaning of the word 'coyote' is trickster.

About the only thing a racoon or squirrel cant get into outside, is a locked metal box. And if there's a combination lock on it, I wouldnt put it past the raccoon to keep playing with it until it got the right combination.

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
Yeah, I don't know if his leg was chewed or ripped, but since he has damage in his remaining leg, I'm leaning more towards chewed. Poor guy, but he gets around okay.

I've been thinking about your little guy and wondering if he got the mechanical leg yet.
I almost just wrote 'machine leg' by mistake. But the image of him with a machine gun for a leg, made me lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts