Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
1647544640960.JPEG
1647544633764.JPEG
1647544633764.JPEG

Beautifully long 'lil guys! With golf ball for comparison. I am so proud of my sprouts! Not only these, but all of my sprouts! It's really sad to think that my birds are going to gobble up my little plant babies :( But, at least it'll make my birds happy and healthy!😁

You can use this thread to share any of your special sprouts :)

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I didn't realize we could give our little feathered friends sprouts. Do they really love them? Are there some nutritional benefits?
Sprouts are great for birds! They are very nutrient dense, and can be given daily to healthy birds(only in small amounts to prevent them from getting too much vitamins).

Birds with kidney/liver issues should only have them once or twice a week.

My birds LOVE sprouts. When I add them to chop they usually go for the sprouts first then the veggies.

Sprouts are easy and fun to make. It does take a little bit of time and effort, but other than that it's super easy!

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
  1. You'll need a sprouting container. Any glass container with mesh over is fine, or you can but a sprouting container(like I did)
  2. You'll also need a sprouting mix. You can either buy one, or make one, as long as the seeds/grains/whatever is meant for sprouting
  3. Disinfect the sprouting mix with apple cider vinegar and water dilution and rinse it off thoroughly afterwards(some people use GSE).
  4. Then soak them for 8-12 hours or overnight.
  5. After soaking, rinse and drain until there is no milky residue(You'll see the water become clear in the jar if it has all been rinsed). Put the sprouting mix in a cool, dark place(Don't put it in the sun, a common mistake first-time sprouters make)
  6. Rinse and drain every 6-8 hours(or 2-3 times a day). If weather is hot, do it more often.

You can feed sprouts right after soaking and any time after the sprouts have started growing roots.

When mold has grown or sprouts start to smell rotten, discard them!

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
you can just you bird seed for sprouting

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
you can just you bird seed for sprouting
Yes, most bird seed mixes sprout :) if they don't, it probably means that the seed is dead and has no nutrients.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Can I just put Lima-beans in paper towels dampen them until they sprout then give that to my Ekkie? Is it kind of the same thing? I’m always looking for things to help boost his immune system, and to add nutrition.

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Can I just put Lima-beans in paper towels dampen them until they sprout then give that to my Ekkie? Is it kind of the same thing? I’m always looking for things to help boost his immune system, and to add nutrition.
Sounds good!

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I guess some sprouts are harmful uncooked to parrots?? Lima-beans are one of them. Let me know if anyone has heard of this.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I guess some sprouts are harmful uncooked to parrots?? Lima-beans are one of them. Let me know if anyone has heard of this.
Most toxic(if uncooked) beans become safe once cooked

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
They will just spoil!
I sprout beans all the time- for me! I eat as a salad!
I mainly use lentils because of their ease of sprouting, but the procedure is pretty much the same across all sprout able beans!
Soak for 12ish hours and rinse in a suitable colander. Rinse twice a day and always give them a shake to remix. Out of all the beans, lentils are the fastest to sprout! I buy normal dried lentils from the grocery store and have no issues with viability!
FYI, the lectins found in some beans is converted during sprouting!

I don’t use jars for sprouting, I use the colander I have for rinsing! For fine seed, I use the following:

ChrisH123

Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Meyers Parrot

I love sprouting and my birds get them daily. They're super nutritious and easy to get the hang of. Several places sell bird safe mixes like Sprout People or China Prairie.

But please know that not all beans are safe to sprout!

Only 3 hard shelled beans/legumes are safe to sprout and are most offered to birds:
*Adzuki
*Mung
*Garbanzo (chickpeas)
*Some people include lentils and peas. Those aren't true legumes but are also SAFE to sprout.

-Other dried beans like the below MUST be cooked well to be safe.
FAVA
LIMA
KIDNEY
NAVY

These contain high levels of the plant lectin phytohemagglutinin which is toxic if not prepared correctly. These dry beans must be soaked, rinsed, and cooked to boiling point for 15 - 30 minutes and simmered until tender before they can be safely fed.

ChrisH123

Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Meyers Parrot
They will just spoil!
I sprout beans all the time- for me! I eat as a salad!
I mainly use lentils because of their ease of sprouting, but the procedure is pretty much the same across all sprout able beans!
Soak for 12ish hours and rinse in a suitable colander. Rinse twice a day and always give them a shake to remix. Out of all the beans, lentils are the fastest to sprout! I buy normal dried lentils from the grocery store and have no issues with viability!
FYI, the lectins found in some beans is converted during sprouting!

I don’t use jars for sprouting, I use the colander I have for rinsing! For fine seed, I use the following:

All the information I've researched has shown that the lectins are not converted in beans unless they are cooked. I'm fanatical about research and would love to read anything you've found about it though. :geek:

I've been researching safe foods for years and have gotten info from several people in the parrot industry (breeding, food etc)...the only beans they ever recommend sprouting are Garbanzo, Adzuki and Mung (lentils and peas are safe too, but aren't true beans/legumes).

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Parrots
All the information I've researched has shown that the lectins are not converted in beans unless they are cooked. I'm fanatical about research and would love to read anything you've found about it though. :geek:

I've been researching safe foods for years and have gotten info from several people in the parrot industry (breeding, food etc)...the only beans they ever recommend sprouting are Garbanzo, Adzuki and Mung (lentils and peas are safe too, but aren't true beans/legumes).
Hi!
Give this a read!

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
I highly recommend ordering sprouting seeds rather than using bird seed or grocery store dried beans/lentils.

I buy these sprouts. I add them to my own salads and sandwiches. Toby the Eclectus likes them. Midori the conure won't touch them unless they are more seed than sprout. I'm bringing him along to eating veggies through the sprouts, that's the plan anyway.

I buy from here as well:

Sprouting lids for large mason jars:

You have to be careful to rinse twice a day to keep bacteria or fungus from taking over.

I usually have 2-3 jars growing at a time. We are on a 3-day cycle of growing and eating them.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Parrots
I highly recommend ordering sprouting seeds rather than using bird seed or grocery store dried beans/lentils.

I buy these sprouts. I add them to my own salads and sandwiches. Toby the Eclectus likes them. Midori the conure won't touch them unless they are more seed than sprout. I'm bringing him along to eating veggies through the sprouts, that's the plan anyway.

I buy from here as well:

Sprouting lids for large mason jars:

You have to be careful to rinse twice a day to keep bacteria or fungus from taking over.

I usually have 2-3 jars growing at a time. We are on a 3-day cycle of growing and eating them.
On the bird seed, I agree! Although, one company, Abba, makes a seed blend specifically for sprouting!
For beans, 90% of grocery store varieties won’t sprout! Lentils are the exception! With lentils, I get close to 100% success germination! At such a significant savings, they’re worth a try!
For those who have never tried lentil sprouts, they are surprisingly sweet! I eat them by the handful, or, as just a lentil salad!

With Abba Soak Seed, they have a different approach to sprouting that you either agree or disagree with! They have the seed coated with a mineral dust and by increasing the soak time for germination, this enriches the sprouts!
But if you follow the standard method of sprouting, all of this dust is washed away!

ChrisH123

Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Meyers Parrot
I wanna show my sprouts!!
View attachment 37386
These were millit sprouts i was growing for tiki
I guees ill give it to the wild birds?

Millet sprouts and microgreens are safe to feed (as long as they aren't Super Miller/Sorghum as that is toxic when sprouted). Even if they don't eat them, they may just enjoy tearing them up. You could cut them at the soil line, give them a rinse and hang in the cage.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Millet sprouts and microgreens are safe to feed (as long as they aren't Super Miller/Sorghum as that is toxic when sprouted). Even if they don't eat them, they may just enjoy tearing them up. You could cut them at the soil line, give them a rinse and hang in the cage.
What she meant by she was planning on giving it to her bird she meant the bird unfortunately passed🙁 this is still useful info, though!

Most Reactions

Latest posts