Lorikeet playmate?

bgriffin70

Feb 23, 2014
Would getting a parakeet be of any benefit to offer our lorikeet a playmate to sing and chirp along with? Anyone else do this?
Keeping in mind; not to house them in the same cage.......

Last edited:

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Not sure what you mean by "parakeet" (is that a budgy?) but lorikeets really only mix with other loris, in my experience. They can be quite aggressive, as shown by our female rainbow, who has attacked (and had on their backs!) two male different eccies we have. Admittedly, she had an egg she was minding, but it was quite scary! I doubt a budgy would last long if a lori got aggressive with it.

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
my Lorikeet loved to talk to my lovebirds but I wont let him interact with them he would probably hurt them he's just so spaztic. But if you get another bird he may hate it or he may like it each bird is different so if you do get another bird get it for you because you want another to love and care for not for your lorikeet.

OP
B

bgriffin70

Feb 23, 2014
Yep; I was thinking of just a common parakeet (budgie) in a small cage who might chirp and sing with her. She loves going to the exotic bird store and appears very sociable with all birds.... but I know; in our home, she could be different. I was just tossing ideas out there for maybe a companion for her for those times when we may be gone for a day or an overnight trip and cannot be with her. I definitely know we could never put them in the same cage or be close where one may hurt the other.

Most Reactions