Love Macaws

Kriss

Oct 7, 2022
Los Angeles
Parrots
Lorie
I don't really call this a job for me is just like taking care of kids . lol . Thanks to Vicky cross because with her Old age she took the trouble to come all the way here. I really appreciate her . Also she took a Macaw and because of her Care about them i decided to offer her a baby macaw. Thanks again .

Attachments

• lv_0_20220930015356_20221015_100820.mp4
    5.7 MB

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
As a member of this forum and speaking as a member and not a moderator right now, I am appalled by this video.

The amount of excrement present indicates either a lack of cleaning ever or that the birds are stuck chained there all day. I cannot condone chains at all; it's just not an acceptable part of parrot husbandry given what modern science knows about the dangers of injury, not to mention their physical and psychological needs as autonomous, intelligent beings.

I know outdated, cruel animal keeping practices are still common in some parts of the world, but we are on a forum that has a wealth of knowledge on how to do better, and these poor birds deserve better.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
As a member of this forum and speaking as a member and not a moderator right now, I am appalled by this video.

The amount of excrement present indicates either a lack of cleaning ever or that the birds are stuck chained there all day. I cannot condone chains at all; it's just not an acceptable part of parrot husbandry given what modern science knows about the dangers of injury, not to mention their physical and psychological needs as autonomous, intelligent beings.

I know outdated, cruel animal keeping practices are still common in some parts of the world, but we are on a forum that has a wealth of knowledge on how to do better, and these poor birds deserve better.
I am utterly appalled as well. Those poor birds! No bird on this planet deserves this HORRIBLE care. This is utter emotional, physical, and psychological neglect, and I am thoroughly disgusted.

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
That looks like a birdie prison. And it's completely unnecessary. That same area could be transformed into an area that is a great place for birds to be!
I would love to have such an aviary! But the chains and metal stands must go! Fill that same aviary with branches and perches and bird toys and it could be a birdie paradise instead of prison!

OP
Kriss

Kriss

Oct 7, 2022
Los Angeles
Parrots
Lorie
Well. At the moment I am working on that. I have committed to be taking care of them and I am grateful for that. As I said . I am creating a place for them and I can assure you that they have already occupied my whole house. I had no choice but to proceed otherwise but good as I already have enough knowledge and several people come to adopt almost every day. I believe in a month I will be better organized. Please don't bother I take all my time on them. I hired a vet and I pay him monthly he passes 4 time's every week .

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
My opinion above is based on your implying these are your personal birds, and you stating you are in Los Angeles, California, a city with some of the strictest laws in the US around animal keeping. It is illegal for even dogs to be chained all day, even with the ability to run the length of a whole yard. When I worked in veterinary medicine I was required in my county/state to report situations like yours and I did have to testify in court where animals were removed from their homes due to not being cared for to the standards of my location.

I think it's awesome you're willing to learn, and improve on the lives of these birds. Ideas for improving their aviary and quality of life apply no matter what the situation is, of course. But things may need to be done differently if these are your pet birds in LA versus something totally different like a bird mill elsewhere where this type of aviary is more common.

It will be a lot easier to give you feedback if we have the correct understanding of your situation.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I had no choice but to proceed otherwise but good as I already have enough knowledge...
Sorry, but I find this amusing. I don't believe there's a member anywhere on the forum who thinks they have enough knowledge. We all have more to learn, every day, regardless of our level of experience.

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
It's great that you can spend your whole day giving them human interaction.. that's vitally important for their overall well-being. But not even close to the only vital thing. They NEED to climb and explore and chew and be as free as they possibly can be while still being kept safe. These things are vitally important for their physical, emotional, psychological and overall wellness. Just because they are able to have a lot of one component doesn't mean that you can forgo the rest without terrible consequences.

OP
Kriss

Kriss

Oct 7, 2022
Los Angeles
Parrots
Lorie
Sorry, but I find this amusing. I don't believe there's a member anywhere on the forum who thinks they have enough knowledge. We all have more to learn, every day, regardless of our level of experience.
Thought πŸ’­πŸ’­πŸ’­.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I am horrified by what I see in this video and wish I had not viewed it. Nobody who truly loves macaws would keep them in these conditions - this hurts my heart πŸ’”πŸ’”πŸ’”

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
It's very sad to see birds chained like this, they get zero mental and physical stimulation. The area also doesn't look very clean, it can easily become a breeding grounds for all sorts of harmful germs. One of my biggest concerns are that one day, a wild animal may break in(since the aviary floor is dirt), and the birds will have to suffer because they can't escape from being chained.

If you are unable to give better care, you should rehome the birds to someone who is able to. I know you said you are trying to do better, and I'm glad, but honestly, the birds shouldn't stay in this condition for much longer. As stated by other members, you can easily transform the aviary into something that's much better for them.

Last edited:
OP
Kriss

Kriss

Oct 7, 2022
Los Angeles
Parrots
Lorie
It's very sad to see birds chained like this, they get zero mental and physical stimulation. The area also doesn't look very clean, it can easily become a breeding grounds for all sorts of harmful germs. One of my biggest concerns are that one day, a wild animal may break in(since the aviary floor is dirt), and the birds will have to suffer because they can't escape from being chained.

If you are unable to give better care, you should rehome the birds to someone who is able to. I know you said you are trying to do better, and I'm glad, but honestly, the birds shouldn't stay in this condition for much longer. As stated by other members, you can easily transform the aviary into something that's much better for them.
Please don't misunderstand me sir
I said am trying and making everything possible to give them out and for the information only few of them will be remaining because I just Chipped out four of them so please before saying I can't take care of them . I have 6 macaws that are staying in the house but this others are chain simply because the are not really trained . I decided to do this because the can sometime destroy and also too many to control . Don't worry about

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Please don't misunderstand me sir
I said am trying and making everything possible to give them out and for the information only few of them will be remaining because I just Chipped out four of them so please before saying I can't take care of them . I have 6 macaws that are staying in the house but this others are chain simply because the are not really trained . I decided to do this because the can sometime destroy and also too many to control . Don't worry about
Sorry for the confusion. I was suggesting that if you have too many birds, to rehome some, sorry for not making that clear in the post.

You said you keep the untrained birds outside on a chain because they are harder to control. It's ok to keep birds outside, as long as the living area is appropriate. You can start by cleaning the area at least once a day, since it is wet outside and bacteria grow easier.

I suggest adding some branches in the aviary for them to climb on and destroy. You can easily find some outside, just make sure they are bird safe by searching it up, and that there are no harsh chemicals used on them. You can disinfect them by washing them with vinegar of soap(rinse well afterwards), baking(not necessary, but effecive. Keep an eye on the temperature so the wood doesn't burn), boiling it in water, etc.

Most Reactions