LuLu bit my sister... HARD!

jroyal

Jul 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Parrots
Female SI eclectus parrot
Male/female budgies
Komorner tumbler pigeon
So lulu seems to tolerate everyone in the house although she won't step up for anyone except me, unless she just is desperate to leave where she is (i.e. when she is on the floor or on an awkward angle on a perch). Well about an hour ago my sister (9 yrs old) and I were sitting on the floor watching a movie on her iPad. Lulu was sitting between my legs quite content. My sister scooted closer to me and lulu started to walk over to her. She showed no signs of aggression so I didn't stop her (although lulu has never just walked over to anyone and away from me). She reached for my sister with her beak as if she was asking to step up, but my sister moved her arm. And lulu hopped closer and bit her and would not let go. My sister snatched away(understandably) causing the bite to be a little more than what it was. I was so confused so I locked lulu in her cage for the night (lulu usually sleeps on top of her cage).

Why would lulu do that? I knew she was exactly infatuated with other people but I didn't expect the aggression.

BTW... My sister took it like a champ. She cleaned it, put a band aid on a finished her movie. And she still loves lulu

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie the Green Winged Macaw
I am not positive, but it could be that she is possessive of you. LuLu may mot have liked your sister getting so close when she was spending time cuddling with you.

I know Rosie gets very annoyed when anyone (including the dogs) comes too close when she is with me.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I've got to agree with Kendra on this.....let it be a lesson to you about possessive females.....actually any gender of bird could act the same way...and...if Lulu was sitting between your sister's legs, with the roles reversed. you could very well have been the bite recipient.....

Although it would have been easy to spot the potential problem if either of you had noticed her pinning her eyes, I'm sure neither one of you were interested in what her eyes were doing, but with birds that have contrasting irises to pupils, they usually give you advanced warnings about their displeasure with something and although they can give the same warnings when they're excited and happy, learning to read a bird's body language will go a long way to understanding and enjoying your bird(s).....

Good luck.....

Ravennessa

Jun 22, 2013
Franklin Sq, NY
Parrots
Jacob a sun conure who found me!
Yeah... Jacob will do the same thing.. he will slowly walk up to Scooby, looking at me with one eye, stretch out, and a quick pinch.. He's getting better with it though cause when he does that I tuck him in his cage and then I snuggle the dog even more.. and when he's nice to the doggie he gets a treat.. Sorry about your little sister though, nice to see she's a tough cookie.. Maybe her and LuLu should do some clicker training games to bond a little bit that dont involve petting :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Oh yes! Gracie did that to me while she was with my partner and she came after me. And IF she's eating her food, I can not touch the food dish as she'll attack me, but she doesn't attack my partner though doing the same thing....Other then that, she's fine with me holding her and such....

Most Reactions