Major issues with quaker

AtALoss

Sep 8, 2022
Parrots
Quaker
I have a one year old grey quaker. He was perfectly fine except the breeder sold him to me with chamydia.. which was medicated. I moved back in April and the movers were delayed so he was stuck in a small cage til they arrived and he started barbing his feathers. Now it’s plucking. He plucked under his wings badly and then he let it pin feather. Then he did his chest and repeat.. then his legs.. now his upper chest. So he is covered in pin feathers. He’s on bird hemp, avicalm, featherup and was on chamomile but not anymore. I took him to the vet and they gave him parasite and mite cream and anti inflammatories. They’re not working. I’m waiting for an avian light to come in, nothing else has been working. The vet wants to test him for feather wasting disease and X-rays and I think that’s all a waste. He wasn’t doing anything before I moved. I moved in April. Now he’s twitching a wing and raising both and just acting weird and nothing I’m doing is working. He does this when I’m in the room and when I’m not. I thought maybe if I got him a friend it would be better but I don’t think that will work either. I don’t know what to do I’ve tried everything. I couldn’t link a video here so here’s my Google drive with it and how he’s acting. I’m so stressed over this I don’t know how to fix this any parrot I had before didn’t do this.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I have a one year old grey quaker. He was perfectly fine except the breeder sold him to me with chamydia.. which was medicated. I moved back in April and the movers were delayed so he was stuck in a small cage til they arrived and he started barbing his feathers. Now it’s plucking. He plucked under his wings badly and then he let it pin feather. Then he did his chest and repeat.. then his legs.. now his upper chest. So he is covered in pin feathers. He’s on bird hemp, avicalm, featherup and was on chamomile but not anymore. I took him to the vet and they gave him parasite and mite cream and anti inflammatories. They’re not working. I’m waiting for an avian light to come in, nothing else has been working. The vet wants to test him for feather wasting disease and X-rays and I think that’s all a waste. He wasn’t doing anything before I moved. I moved in April. Now he’s twitching a wing and raising both and just acting weird and nothing I’m doing is working. He does this when I’m in the room and when I’m not. I thought maybe if I got him a friend it would be better but I don’t think that will work either. I don’t know what to do I’ve tried everything. I couldn’t link a video here so here’s my Google drive with it and how he’s acting. I’m so stressed over this I don’t know how to fix this any parrot I had before didn’t do this.

I am very sorry to hear about your Quaker. Feather destruction is a very frustrating thing to handle. I have an Ekkie who I adopted that does this. I adopted him over a year ago, and I was informed from the shelter I got him from that he has been doing this for years.

1. A vet is very important as they can test your quaker, and do a process of elimination to make sure there isn't something major going on. Nico my Ekkie was diagnosed with bornavirus. PDD is nasty, and is a wasting disease. If your parrot tested positive for this you'd want to know as your quaker is going to need supportive care. This is a very very nasty disease. There are medications that can help with pain, and things as well.

2. Once the process of elimination is made, and if your vet comes to the determination that there is no physical cause to feather destruction... you'll know its behavioral. Behavioral will happen even with a physical cause. Physical, or emotional will become hibitual if this has gone on for awhile. This is where the frustrating part comes in. There is no "quick fix' to a behavioral issue.

3. If it has became a hibitual problem at this point you are going to be joining the rest of us with this problem. It's a very frustrating problem. I do try to distract Nico by training him, getting him to play with toys, foraging, and so on. I myself although others will strongly disagree collar Nico at night when he is in his cage supposed to be sleeping. Nico self mutilates, and with his comorbidities I don't want him getting an infection. Collaring Nico has helped significantly. I haven't had him destroy his feathers to the extent that he did before (horrifying scene).

4. Diet... I am not sure what you feed your quaker, but diet is so important in parrots in general. Just review your quakers diet, and see if there are any changes that can be made.

5. Enviornment... Checking to make sure your parrot isn't scare of something in his enviornment. Something as simple as moving a vacuum can calm down behaviors. Trying to figure out what is bothering your parrot to the extent of feather destruction can be like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. Random objects, or colors can be offensive to your parrot.

I hope something in here helps you. I am sorry you are going through this process. I hope your quacker starts to feel better.

OP
A

AtALoss

Sep 8, 2022
Parrots
Quaker
I am very sorry to hear about your Quaker. Feather destruction is a very frustrating thing to handle. I have an Ekkie who I adopted that does this. I adopted him over a year ago, and I was informed from the shelter I got him from that he has been doing this for years.

1. A vet is very important as they can test your quaker, and do a process of elimination to make sure there isn't something major going on. Nico my Ekkie was diagnosed with bornavirus. PDD is nasty, and is a wasting disease. If your parrot tested positive for this you'd want to know as your quaker is going to need supportive care. This is a very very nasty disease. There are medications that can help with pain, and things as well.

2. Once the process of elimination is made, and if your vet comes to the determination that there is no physical cause to feather destruction... you'll know its behavioral. Behavioral will happen even with a physical cause. Physical, or emotional will become hibitual if this has gone on for awhile. This is where the frustrating part comes in. There is no "quick fix' to a behavioral issue.

3. If it has became a hibitual problem at this point you are going to be joining the rest of us with this problem. It's a very frustrating problem. I do try to distract Nico by training him, getting him to play with toys, foraging, and so on. I myself although others will strongly disagree collar Nico at night when he is in his cage supposed to be sleeping. Nico self mutilates, and with his comorbidities I don't want him getting an infection. Collaring Nico has helped significantly. I haven't had him destroy his feathers to the extent that he did before (horrifying scene).

4. Diet... I am not sure what you feed your quaker, but diet is so important in parrots in general. Just review your quakers diet, and see if there are any changes that can be made.

5. Enviornment... Checking to make sure your parrot isn't scare of something in his enviornment. Something as simple as moving a vacuum can calm down behaviors. Trying to figure out what is bothering your parrot to the extent of feather destruction can be like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. Random objects, or colors can be offensive to your parrot.

I hope something in here helps you. I am sorry you are going through this process. I hope your quacker starts to feel better.
So I just don’t have the time to sit and watch him all day. I have extreme anxiety so I have to keep myself constantly calm and mellow or I can have a melt down. What I’ve done already is the limits for what I can do. I tried a sock he won’t eat or drink and pulls the feathers around it and constantly bites at it so collars don’t work on him or I’d just keep one on him. I’m also allergic to birds … so that’s why I’m having major issues here. I keep shelling out and shelling out and nothing is working and it’s draining me financially emotionally and mentally.. my other quaker died last feb before my move and I never had any issues with him so at this point.. I don’t know anymore..

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
So I just don’t have the time to sit and watch him all day. I have extreme anxiety so I have to keep myself constantly calm and mellow or I can have a melt down. What I’ve done already is the limits for what I can do. I tried a sock he won’t eat or drink and pulls the feathers around it and constantly bites at it so collars don’t work on him or I’d just keep one on him. I’m also allergic to birds … so that’s why I’m having major issues here. I keep shelling out and shelling out and nothing is working and it’s draining me financially emotionally and mentally.. my other quaker died last feb before my move and I never had any issues with him so at this point.. I don’t know anymore..
Vets really can be very expensive, and at times unaffordable. I am sorry you haven't been able to find a resolution to the feather destructive behavior.

For your allergies an air purifier may help with this. I know you said you are not doing well financially. A great way to save money could be looking for one on craigslist, facebook market place, and so on...

You could call your local shelters, or rescues for assistance as well. This could possibly be a free service. They do deal with parrots in dire need. Most have a substantial amount of experience with feather destructive behaviors. They may have some suggestions that could help your Quaker (they'd also be able to see your Quaker in person, and observe his behaviors to get a good idea on what's going on).

Do you bathe your Quaker with a spray bottle or anything? That's another thing that I was told to do with Nico, and his feather distruction.

OP
A

AtALoss

Sep 8, 2022
Parrots
Quaker
Vets really can be very expensive, and at times unaffordable. I am sorry you haven't been able to find a resolution to the feather destructive behavior.

For your allergies an air purifier may help with this. I know you said you are not doing well financially. A great way to save money could be looking for one on craigslist, facebook market place, and so on...

You could call your local shelters, or rescues for assistance as well. This could possibly be a free service. They do deal with parrots in dire need. Most have a substantial amount of experience with feather destructive behaviors. They may have some suggestions that could help your Quaker (they'd also be able to see your Quaker in person, and observe his behaviors to get a good idea on what's going on).

Do you bathe your Quaker with a spray bottle or anything? That's another thing that I was told to do with Nico, and his feather distruction.
So I did get air purifiers but because he’s pulling feathers they’re still getting everywhere. I have a bird lamp above him now so I’m seeing if that helps at all. I’m uh also in a not exactly legal state for quakers. The Quaker parakeet society says they don’t really care about pet ones but I’m still nervous, my vet marked him as a parrotlet. I live in Wisconsin and I moved here from Florida. I moved here with the money I got from being badly injured in a car crash years ago to be with my so and also escape my abusive family. But that money is running dry.

The things I’ve tried:
Spray bottle
Bowl to bathe in
Anti itch stuff to add to water to help his itching
Chamomile tea
Avicalm
Bird hemp
Feather up powder for plucking birds
Avian lamp
Mite/ parasite cream
Anti inflammatory meds
Sock ( won’t eat and just destroys feathers around it along with sock)
Collar (broke it within five minutes)
Humidifier (actually made me itchy)
I bought two air filters one per room constantly running
Tons of new toys to try to keep him distracted
Second cage so he’s in the room, he does it regardless

So I’ve tried so so much.. I could call a rescue but they’re so far away here and there’s the whole matter of him not entirely being legal…

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
So I did get air purifiers but because he’s pulling feathers they’re still getting everywhere. I have a bird lamp above him now so I’m seeing if that helps at all. I’m uh also in a not exactly legal state for quakers. The Quaker parakeet society says they don’t really care about pet ones but I’m still nervous, my vet marked him as a parrotlet. I live in Wisconsin and I moved here from Florida. I moved here with the money I got from being badly injured in a car crash years ago to be with my so and also escape my abusive family. But that money is running dry.

The things I’ve tried:
Spray bottle
Bowl to bathe in
Anti itch stuff to add to water to help his itching
Chamomile tea
Avicalm
Bird hemp
Feather up powder for plucking birds
Avian lamp
Mite/ parasite cream
Anti inflammatory meds
Sock ( won’t eat and just destroys feathers around it along with sock)
Collar (broke it within five minutes)
Humidifier (actually made me itchy)
I bought two air filters one per room constantly running
Tons of new toys to try to keep him distracted
Second cage so he’s in the room, he does it regardless

So I’ve tried so so much.. I could call a rescue but they’re so far away here and there’s the whole matter of him not entirely being legal…
At times with feather destruction all you can do is provide supportive care. It sounds like you are doing everything that you can for your Quaker. You are providing a loving caring home.

I would always advise someone to see a vet, and the expenses are there. Just to do a process of elimination to make sure there isn't something majorly going on.

What has your vet tested for in the past? Have they done labs?

OP
A

AtALoss

Sep 8, 2022
Parrots
Quaker
At times with feather destruction all you can do is provide supportive care. It sounds like you are doing everything that you can for your Quaker. You are providing a loving caring home.

I would always advise someone to see a vet, and the expenses are there. Just to do a process of elimination to make sure there isn't something majorly going on.

What has your vet tested for in the past? Have they done labs?
When I bought him he came with clamidiya, a 2 month old baby quaker. The vet I took him to said it was best to check and lo and behold he had it. He was on meds 45 days and got tested later and he still had it so 45 more days of meds. He was tested for giardia it was negative.

They want to test for bornavirus but that test itself is $250, then a blood test and X-rays and that’s around $700 together. The trigger was definitely moving here, he wasn’t doing it before the move but that was back in April. I did get insanely itchy myself on my scalp and face moving here but it’s faded off.

He didn’t have a tail for months because he bit it off but he’s allowing it to grow back, it’s just really weird
21471338-2E82-47C0-9128-A90DF0BC7C86.jpeg

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
When I bought him he came with clamidiya, a 2 month old baby quaker. The vet I took him to said it was best to check and lo and behold he had it. He was on meds 45 days and got tested later and he still had it so 45 more days of meds. He was tested for giardia it was negative.

They want to test for bornavirus but that test itself is $250, then a blood test and X-rays and that’s around $700 together. The trigger was definitely moving here, he wasn’t doing it before the move but that was back in April. I did get insanely itchy myself on my scalp and face moving here but it’s faded off.

He didn’t have a tail for months because he bit it off but he’s allowing it to grow back, it’s just really weird
View attachment 43927
He is a beautiful Quaker. He's lucky to have someone who cares about him. It sounds like you are doing everything you possibly can.

With bornavirus, and these types of diseases stress can trigger it. Not to mention even perfectly healthy parrots can go through very hard times with a lot of change.

OP
A

AtALoss

Sep 8, 2022
Parrots
Quaker
He is a beautiful Quaker. He's lucky to have someone who cares about him. It sounds like you are doing everything you possibly can.

With bornavirus, and these types of diseases stress can trigger it. Not to mention even perfectly healthy parrots can go through very hard times with a lot of change.
That’s true.. an update on his condition the Avian light has made him much more aggressive even though he’s still sleeping the same amount of hours. The feather up powder doesn’t appear to be doing much. He seems to be pulling just as much

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I wonder if the chlamydiosis was not eradicated and has resurged to make him sick and itchy. I think this is the most likely explanation, simpler than a new viral illness acquired when he’s isolated in your home.

I am amazed that you were sold a bird with that serious infection, though. That doesn’t sound right to me (as in, it shouldn’t have happened).

Most Reactions

Latest posts