Making Rodney a play stand

Rodney

Aug 23, 2012
Derbyshire
Parrots
Rodney; Senegal Parrot
I am totally new to keeping birds but I am intending on building my first PVC play stand tomorrow :)
I have looked through lots of threads on here and am inspired! But I just wanted to ask a few questions regarding toys.

I've seen people talking about cotton rope, and I was thinking if it'd be ok to use horse lead ropes (that are totally cotton?) I have hundreds due to my horses that have never been used/still in wrapping, I would remove the clips because I don't know whether they are stainless steel or not :)
Horses Cotton Lead Rope | eBay

Also I wanted to put some plants or artificial plants round his play stand to make it even more interesting, what parrot safe plants are there? (I've tried looking on the internet but I've never heard of the ones I've found! :eek: ) also, are artificial plants safe?

I also saw people use vet wrap for their play stands- again, thanks to my horses I have many of them in stock in case of equine emergencies :D

And the last question (sorry!) what exactly can I use to make home made toys?

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
Hello there! I too have horses and tried using the cotton lead ropes, I decided to wash them first, bad idea if you remove the clips first, the whole thing fell apart! I like using sisal for my toys and the ones that I buy I reuse the chain it came on. My greenwing loves wood, so monthly I go to Lowes and get pine wood, drill holes, cut them and dye them. Things around the house:
toilet paper/paper towel rolls(no glue), applesauce cup containers, shredded paper, small boxes ( empty and filled with treats), coin wrappers, poker chips, popsicle sticks, molted feathers, old keys strung on rope,ping pong balls, wiffle balls, paper lunch bag filled with treats, paper plates/cups, coffee filters(unbleached), straws, loofah sponge, leather...the list is all I can think of right now, but you would be surprised how many things you have around the house!

Most Reactions

Latest posts