male chasing around female

isabird

Mar 10, 2022
Parrots
vert (green male budgie)
yogurt (sky blue female budgie)
blue (deep blue male budgie)
hi! new here and i wanted to get some advice.

so, i've had my budgies for a while now.

yogurt (female, since 2020?)
blue (male, since 2020?)
vert (male, since mid 2020?)
(question marks because i'm not so sure)

i have had previous budgies before! (2018-2019 but gave them away due to such small space at home. they now have a wonderful, expansive cage :) )

yogurt and blue were raised at my home by my mother and i. we had done lots of extensive research to prepare!

i got vert shortly after the two were born so they could have another friend. yogurt never really paid any attention to him, but blue bonded very quickly. the pair became very close, and they often feed and preen each-other. yogurt still does not care.

i noticed that yogurt loved to burrow and chew wood, so i got her one of those coconut huts for her to hide in. i know this was a bad idea, as it may encourage her to lay eggs, but nothing has happened as of now. recently, vert has moved on from blue and has tried to court yogurt. she often runs off and hides from him in her hut. if he gets too close, she lunges at him as a warning. today vert went too far and got bit by her twice. (once on the head feathers, one around the leg)

i came home today to find dried blood on vert's leg. i couldn't find any wound? which was odd to me. i checked yogurt as well, and no wounds. i wish to separate the two or maybe stop the behavior but i have no other cage to put him in and i certainly do not want to give him away. is there anything else i can do? i also noticed this sort of bruise on vert's cere. i'll link some pictures of him below.

Attachments

• 02463577-4B84-4D0A-961D-43C75164DA44.jpeg
    02463577-4B84-4D0A-961D-43C75164DA44.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I think you really need to remove the "nest", even if they don't lay eggs, it can make them hormonal, leading to aggressive behaviour as described.

If you have any medical concerns, an avian/exotic vet is always the best place for help.
If they are bonded, separation can be very stressful. The best you can do is remove the coconut hut.

If they like to chew stuff, I highly recommend natural shredding toys, made out of materials such as corn husk, soft woods like balsa, sola, popsicle sticks etc. Just avoid painted toys, cotton/fleece, huts/tents, etc.

Wishing you the best of luck! Please keep me updated, and if you have any questions feel free to ask me :)

OP
I

isabird

Mar 10, 2022
Parrots
vert (green male budgie)
yogurt (sky blue female budgie)
blue (deep blue male budgie)
I think you really need to remove the "nest", even if they don't lay eggs, it can make them hormonal, leading to aggressive behaviour as described.

If you have any medical concerns, an avian/exotic vet is always the best place for help.
If they are bonded, separation can be very stressful. The best you can do is remove the coconut hut.

If they like to chew stuff, I highly recommend natural shredding toys, made out of materials such as corn husk, soft woods like balsa, sola, popsicle sticks etc. Just avoid painted toys, cotton/fleece, huts/tents, etc.

Wishing you the best of luck! Please keep me updated, and if you have any questions feel free to ask me :)
thank you so much! for now, since i have nothing to replace it with, i'll just keep an eye on them. (i promise i'll remove it soon) is it alright if i use sticks from outdoors?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
thank you so much! for now, since i have nothing to replace it with, i'll just keep an eye on them. (i promise i'll remove it soon) is it alright if i use sticks from outdoors?
As long as the sticks are bird-safe and untreated, it'll be fine. Natural wood is a LOT better for their feet than smooth dowel/plastic perches.
This has a whole list of safe and unsafe wood. Keep in mind that although it says fig wood is safe, the kind that has sap isn't really safe.

Professor Parrot

Feb 21, 2022
Parrots
2 Amazon's
hi! new here and i wanted to get some advice.

so, i've had my budgies for a while now.

yogurt (female, since 2020?)
blue (male, since 2020?)
vert (male, since mid 2020?)
(question marks because i'm not so sure)

i have had previous budgies before! (2018-2019 but gave them away due to such small space at home. they now have a wonderful, expansive cage :) )

yogurt and blue were raised at my home by my mother and i. we had done lots of extensive research to prepare!

i got vert shortly after the two were born so they could have another friend. yogurt never really paid any attention to him, but blue bonded very quickly. the pair became very close, and they often feed and preen each-other. yogurt still does not care.

i noticed that yogurt loved to burrow and chew wood, so i got her one of those coconut huts for her to hide in. i know this was a bad idea, as it may encourage her to lay eggs, but nothing has happened as of now. recently, vert has moved on from blue and has tried to court yogurt. she often runs off and hides from him in her hut. if he gets too close, she lunges at him as a warning. today vert went too far and got bit by her twice. (once on the head feathers, one around the leg)

i came home today to find dried blood on vert's leg. i couldn't find any wound? which was odd to me. i checked yogurt as well, and no wounds. i wish to separate the two or maybe stop the behavior but i have no other cage to put him in and i certainly do not want to give him away. is there anything else i can do? i also noticed this sort of bruise on vert's cere. i'll link some pictures of him below.
Mine used to fight more, but we opened up more space and now they never make contact. They still chase each other, but never hurt. If you have space to make more room for them, it might help.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think you should remove the nest or expect more hormonal aggression and maybe egg laying. It doesn’t need a replacement. Your parakeet has visible injuries.

Most Reactions

Latest posts