male or female kakariki - adding a new bird

edmkak

Aug 28, 2020
hi I'm wondering if our current kakariki is male or female. the lady at bought her from said she was a female. I've attached a photo of her beak.

we want to add another kakariki but are worried the two might not get along. has anyone had issues with housing two?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200828_200626.jpg
    20200828_200626.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 410

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sadly, I have no knowledge regarding physical differences between KaKariki's.

I'm guessing that an internet search doesn't provide any insight?

Two living together can target their full interest in each other, or truly dislike each other. One never knows for sure. They can join the family or place all their attention with each other, same as above.

Unless your relationship with your current kakariki is very strong and you are getting another because each of you want an additional Parrot and are willing to accept the additional work and expensive. It comes down to your choice.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
OMG!!!
That has gotta be the cutest face ever!!!!! My heart melted!!!!
Wow I hope you Enter it in some photo of the month contest we have
That is gold
Can’t help with your questions
But man I’m so happy you posted that picture :)!

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Kakariki's need to be DNA sexed to be accurately sexed with Lutino birds

With normal Kakarikis they can be sexed through size as males are apporoximately 15 grams heavier and have much brighter red on the front

My best stab at her sexing is that your bird is a hen, as the red does not look as bright as a male would normally be but its hard to sex without any other birds around to compare with

OP
E

edmkak

Aug 28, 2020
thanks! so she is definitely a female judging by her mating position :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts