Mathew Doesn’t Allow Feet Touching!

eman

Jul 10, 2021
Kuwait
Parrots
Rainbow Lories: Mathew & Mia 🤍
Mathew has some issues in his feet and my bird consultant recomanded me to use coconut oil on his feet 2-3 times a day (it works as antibacterial and anti-inflammation). The problem is that Mathew really hate me touching his feet, as my hand reaches his feet he immediately bits or fly away. Any ideas on how to put the oil on his feet without scaring him?
Thank you in advance

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Can you ice cream cone him? holding a bird like they are an ice cream cone....some birds love it.

OP
eman

eman

Jul 10, 2021
Kuwait
Parrots
Rainbow Lories: Mathew & Mia 🤍
Can you ice cream cone him? holding a bird like they are an ice cream cone....some birds love it.
This seems adorable, but he doesn’t like me holding him at all. He has been mistreated when he was a almost 4months, and held from his back by force (so I think now he has a phobia from this).

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Ok nevermind it's an easy way to cuddle and learn to trust feet touching. But if the bird isn't into then disregard.

Maybe bird will lay on back? and hold your fingers then you can rub it on?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
We had this issue with our Amazon (I feel like we have had nearly every issue with him, lol!) I wasn’t able to come up with a good solution besides toweling him gently and giving him effusive praise and treats afterward. If it’s any consolation, three years on and now he lets me touch his feet just fine!

NancieG

Jun 20, 2022
Media
Ebensburg, PA
Parrots
2 Blue & Gold Macaw, 1 Green front Amazon, 2 Cockatiels
Mathew has some issues in his feet and my bird consultant recomanded me to use coconut oil on his feet 2-3 times a day (it works as antibacterial and anti-inflammation). The problem is that Mathew really hate me touching his feet, as my hand reaches his feet he immediately bits or fly away. Any ideas on how to put the oil on his feet without scaring him?
Thank you in advance
I have a Macaw that needs oil as well, and doesn’t like her feet touched. What has worked for me is putting the oil on my arm and asking him to step up. It coats the bottom of the feet. I have to use a spray bottle for the top when shes climbing, can get tricky and I have to wipe down bars and branches it may spray as well-for her safety. Hope you find what works best for you and Matthew. Sometimes it’s just trial and error to find a solution for the situation.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’ve had two birds who needed their feet moisturized. Both of them liked it so much that once they figured out what was going on they settled down and actually moaned and groaned as i rubbed to oil into their feet. (It was very funny!)

You may have to towel him at first but hopefully that will change or he’ll learn to like it.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts