Matthew and Sassy.

Matt_Sassy

May 16, 2020
Sarasota
Parrots
Sassy - 8 Year old cockatoo
Guaco - 8 month Greencheek (Pineapple)
Hi all and welcome! I spent a good deal of time picking a forum that was right for me and I decided on this one!

My name is Matthew, I'm a younger army vet and currently a mechanic. From a young age i've always been infatuated with exotic animals, snakes,frogs, turtles, insects and lizards. Currently I own a blue tongued skink. Like alot of people who own cockatoos, they fell in love with them through cute videos of them screaming into cups or visiting them at petstores, of course what those videos never show are the grim truths to owning a cockatoo. I decided after a few months of research that I was going to adopt a new addition to the family, and choose an 8 year old umbrella cockatoo named Sassy. I'm super attached to her already and she bonded to me very quickly. We're working on her bad eating habits and bad habits overall but we'll get there.

I've had smaller birds in the past but never a large bird so this will be my first rodeo. I might have a million questions that my research hasn't answered like, Why do bird seed mixes contain peanuts or sun flower seeds if they're bad for the parrot? If you guys have any "Oh, dude you better do __" Let me know!

Glad to be here.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Welcome to you and Sassy! Sounds like you and Sassy are perfect for each other, look forward to hearing more about your journey with her. Lots of us have birds that came with bad diets and habits - it’s always an adventure to work on that :). We have a great group here, and always welcome questions....someone here is bound to know the answer or have ideas what to do.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Welcome! I have one-- they are a process and they are great but they are their own beasts lol (so MUCH work..but very special)..Prepare to research behavior (ABA for cockatoos works well) and establish boundaries. You must teach independence and pet on the head and neck only (and when socializing, make sure everyone follows the same rules)-- their hormones are what get them re-homed in many cases, and that whole "cuddle bug" thing they are always after is tied to sex--you have to resist. Head and neck only---if a bird has to be touched under the wings for medical purposes, that is fine if it is quick..so if you have a baby, you might work getting him/her to open wings in case the vet has to...but don't scratch or tickle under there...don't stroke...don't mess with their backs etc...You can do it REALLY fast when they are young so that they don't freak out if it happens at the vet, but they LIKE it, so you don't want to do it to an adult bird unless it is for training and VERY quick.

My bird LITERALLY acts as though she is in the throes of passion at the vet due to toweling and touching...it's kind of sad and slightly weird (natural, but weird) lol--but it takes very little to flip that switch.

There are 2 posts at the bottom of this thread on ABA-- the blue one was a copy-and-paste job from a specific scenario (but it illustrates the concept). The last post with the links provides further detail---The best link among 3 three is the last one, but it is super-detailed and could be overwhelming.
http://www.parrotforums.com/quakers/85621-casey-acting-increasingly-hostile-towards-fiance.html <--I am only posting this because it talks about ABA (which will help you a lot) NOT because I think your bird is hostile lol.

Last edited:
OP
M

Matt_Sassy

May 16, 2020
Sarasota
Parrots
Welcome! I have one-- they are a process and they are great but they are their own beasts lol (so MUCH work..but very special)..Prepare to research behavior (ABA for cockatoos works well) and establish boundaries. You must teach independence and pet on the head and neck only (and when socializing, make sure everyone follows the same rules)-- their hormones are what get them re-homed in many cases, and that whole "cuddle bug" thing they are always after is tied to sex--you have to resist. Head and neck only---if a bird has to be touched under the wings for medical purposes, that is fine if it is quick..so if you have a baby, you might work getting him/her to open wings in case the vet has to...but don't scratch or tickle under there...don't stroke...don't mess with their backs etc...You can do it REALLY fast when they are young so that they don't freak out if it happens at the vet, but they LIKE it, so you don't want to do it to an adult bird unless it is for training and VERY quick.

My bird LITERALLY acts as though she is in the throes of passion at the vet due to toweling and touching...it's kind of sad and slightly weird (natural, but weird) lol--but it takes very little to flip that switch.

There are 2 posts at the bottom of this thread on ABA-- the blue one was a copy-and-paste job from a specific scenario (but it illustrates the concept). The last post with the links provides further detail---The best link among 3 three is the last one, but it is super-detailed and could be overwhelming.
http://www.parrotforums.com/quakers/85621-casey-acting-increasingly-hostile-towards-fiance.html <--I am only posting this because it talks about ABA (which will help you a lot) NOT because I think your bird is hostile lol.

Ah yes, the dreaded courtship touches. I'm well aware of them. Its upsetting when someone asks to pet my bird and they do anything below the neck, so I just stopped letting people pet her. I'll deff check out the link you posted!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

Ah yes, the dreaded courtship touches. I'm well aware of them. Its upsetting when someone asks to pet my bird and they do anything below the neck, so I just stopped letting people pet her. I'll deff check out the link you posted!

LOL-- I understand. It's best if you just tell them AHEAD of time, that are basically propositioning her...or making out....that usually makes them feel uncomfortable and more aware --that way your bird still gets used to other people lol. Sometimes they still need reminders, but if you are explicit about the explicit nature of the activity, then that often helps-- and if kids are around, you can just say "Oh-- she thinks you want to marry her and have chicks if you do that...you would never marry a bird, right?! Make sure you follow the rules so she doesn't get her feelings hurt"...or something....less...obvious...if you have a really perceptive kid ha.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Matthew and Sassy, thank you for your service! We're glad you found us!!

Congratulations for choosing a cockatoo, they are not for everyone but amazingly wonderful companions. How long have you had Sassy? I ask because the first few weeks to a month or more are the "honeymoon" period. During the initial phase there is a lot of discovery and "testing," beyond that you have a clear picture of personality and behavior.

Feel free to ask any questions, either in the cockatoo forum or any of the dedicated areas such as behavior, training, food/recipes/diet, etc.

Seed mixes tend to be fairly inexpensive, they are like an all burger/fries diet. Fresh vegetables and fruits supplemented by a quality pellet or seed mix is generally considered best. Note I stated "considered" as there is room for varied opinions. Most parrots focus on the sunflower, safflower seeds, and peanuts if included. All of these are high fat, though some sunflower species are better balanced. Peanuts may contain harmful aflatoxins and are best avoided. This thread is a helpful discussion of parrot diet: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html
Personally, I feed my cockatoos fresh foods 4 days per week and supplement with a quality pellet.

OP
M

Matt_Sassy

May 16, 2020
Sarasota
Parrots

LOL-- I understand. It's best if you just tell them AHEAD of time, that are basically propositioning her...or making out....that usually makes them feel uncomfortable and more aware --that way your bird still gets used to other people lol. Sometimes they still need reminders, but if you are explicit about the explicit nature of the activity, then that often helps-- and if kids are around, you can just say "Oh-- she thinks you want to marry her and have chicks if you do that...you would never marry a bird, right?! Make sure you follow the rules so she doesn't get her feelings hurt"...or something....less...obvious...if you have a really perceptive kid ha.

You know its funny, because I'll say "sure you can, but nothing below the neck" And they still don't listen, infact the petstore I adopted her from do wing scratches and back rubs. Sassy is odd where as she's very timid and tame towards other people vs other parrots, she will gladly hop on someones arms if they proposition her to. I think it has to do with her getting used to so many new owners in the last 8 years or so. I'm fairly convinced if a bird thief wanted to, he'd take sassy out with no issue.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

You know its funny, because I'll say "sure you can, but nothing below the neck" And they still don't listen, infact the petstore I adopted her from do wing scratches and back rubs. Sassy is odd where as she's very timid and tame towards other people vs other parrots, she will gladly hop on someones arms if they proposition her to. I think it has to do with her getting used to so many new owners in the last 8 years or so. I'm fairly convinced if a bird thief wanted to, he'd take sassy out with no issue.

I know lol- that's why you have to make people uncomfortable with the truth-- whatever is appropriate for their (human) age bracket. Pet-store people do that stuff because it sells and because they know they won't have the bird long (and in the short-term, they don't know or care because 90% of them don't own cockatoos past sexual maturity, and if they do, they are usually pluckers-- a baby will tolerate it but it creates a bad expectation for the adult years--they ALL love it..and it's...SEX). Inexperienced people do it because cockatoos are so dang cute and pushy that it is hard to resist when they like it so much...little do they know....LOL

Now, a quick touch under the wing or on the torso shouldn't send your bird into crazy-land, but the key is to be quick and clinical..you see all of these people modeling bad behavior on Tik-Tok and Instagram and it's very upsetting, because babies haven't gotten to that mate-picking age, but they are misrepresenting these birds and leading others to believe that these birds are sweet babies all the time (YEAH- an adult will let you do all of this weird courting behavior too---because it's biological...but a spurned bird is an angry bird).

Last edited:
OP
M

Matt_Sassy

May 16, 2020
Sarasota
Parrots
Welcome Matthew and Sassy, thank you for your service! We're glad you found us!!

Congratulations for choosing a cockatoo, they are not for everyone but amazingly wonderful companions. How long have you had Sassy? I ask because the first few weeks to a month or more are the "honeymoon" period. During the initial phase there is a lot of discovery and "testing," beyond that you have a clear picture of personality and behavior.

Feel free to ask any questions, either in the cockatoo forum or any of the dedicated areas such as behavior, training, food/recipes/diet, etc.

Seed mixes tend to be fairly inexpensive, they are like an all burger/fries diet. Fresh vegetables and fruits supplemented by a quality pellet or seed mix is generally considered best. Note I stated "considered" as there is room for varied opinions. Most parrots focus on the sunflower, safflower seeds, and peanuts if included. All of these are high fat, though some sunflower species are better balanced. Peanuts may contain harmful aflatoxins and are best avoided. This thread is a helpful discussion of parrot diet: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html
Personally, I feed my cockatoos fresh foods 4 days per week and supplement with a quality pellet.

That thread is FULL of great information, I'm bookmarking that right now, as for how long I've had her, about maybe 5 weeks? We got her last month around the same day stimulus checks started rolling out, I remember this because I used my check to get her a big cage before I got her.

Currently her diet and the food she came with is a mix of seed, dried fruit, bird biscuits that she likes to soak and moons, I've been picking out the peanuts and sunflower seeds from the mix starting yesterday(I understand that there is still a fungus risk once it contaminates the other food). I'm assuming she's been eating this for the 8 years she's been alive for so it won't be an easy task.

I can't even imagine eating human food for 20+ years then being forced to only eat some menial pellet/slop that is "healthier for me"

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
If you are home a lot now, MAKE SURE you are leaving the house in the same way you would for work occasionally (at least a couple times a week)--maybe you just go hang out on the lawn out of sight. They are very easily upset by change and definitely creatures of habit. You don't want to create an expectation that you can't sustain with a brand-new bird. Everything is different, but when COVID stops, you will need to be able to sustain what you started.

Last edited:
OP
M

Matt_Sassy

May 16, 2020
Sarasota
Parrots
If you are home a lot now, MAKE SURE you are leaving the house in the same way you would for work occasionally (at least a couple times a week)--maybe you just go hang out on the lawn out of sight. They are very easily upset by change and definitely creatures of habit. You don't want to create an expectation that you can't sustain with a brand-new bird. Everything is different, but when COVID stops, you will need to be able to sustain what you started.

Currently we're out of the house alot, but I make sure I give atleast 4-5 hours a day with her, generally more. She seems to be okay and enjoys her quiet time. I have lots of foraging toys and destroy able toys to keep her busy. The only real time she gets upset is when she knows we're in another room, she knows our apartment layout very well and understand that the big heavy door near the kitchen means we won't be able to hear her thus not causing her to flock call. She also sees when my truck is gone too through the window. We'll see how she does tomorrow since I go back to work like usual.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed, Matt and Sassy. Thank you for your service, Matt.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Five weeks or so is a good time to acclimate so she is probably comfortable and settled. Important to teach a cockatoo to self-entertain with toys, video source such as TV, and just enjoying solitude in the cage. Only one of my tame cockatoos is caged, so a goal is to handle her enough that she literally enjoys the "down time."

All of mine love to chew wood. I buy a long section of 2 x 4 (think it is about 12') untreated lumber from Home Depot and cut into 1' lengths. Drill a hole in the center, string 2 on stainless steel chain, and hang. Hands down their favorite toy as they enjoy cutting into strips and build a pile of splinters!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome to you and yours!

You are definitely our kind of folks. You're really fitting our "Community vibe". I'm so glad you found us.

9lhIlM0.jpg

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Wow, I'm a little late to the party, but, welcome to the family, Matt and Sassy! You found a great place here. Lots of amazing folks, always glad to help with questions, or whatever you may need! You need only ask. Absolutely, thank you for your service. Deep respect, my friend.

BTW, we love pictures here if you'd like to share Sassy with us :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
M

Matt_Sassy

May 16, 2020
Sarasota
Parrots
Five weeks or so is a good time to acclimate so she is probably comfortable and settled. Important to teach a cockatoo to self-entertain with toys, video source such as TV, and just enjoying solitude in the cage. Only one of my tame cockatoos is caged, so a goal is to handle her enough that she literally enjoys the "down time."

All of mine love to chew wood. I buy a long section of 2 x 4 (think it is about 12') untreated lumber from Home Depot and cut into 1' lengths. Drill a hole in the center, string 2 on stainless steel chain, and hang. Hands down their favorite toy as they enjoy cutting into strips and build a pile of splinters!

Thats exactly what i've been doing for chew able toys. I also put seeds and other treats in the holes. I used to put peanuts in them but because I recently found out the bad things about their shells I stopped cold turkey. If I'm in a petstore to buy something I can't otherwise DIY I usually grab those tiny gerbil wood blocks and she just destroys them.

OP
M

Matt_Sassy

May 16, 2020
Sarasota
Parrots
Welcome and be welcomed, Matt and Sassy. Thank you for your service, Matt.

Thanks for the welcome. I know you're more of the prominent and wise members so I look forward to all your great advice. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts