Max seems a little unwell

henry0reilly

Mar 2, 2017
Parrots
YNA (Mad) Max aka Mean Max Green ~2002
Sulfur Crested ‘too Babybird 2015
I'm guessing diet and stress. But he almost never bathes.

henry0reilly-albums-birds-picture23452-max-feathers-don-t-look-so-good-gray-under-feather-thing-normal.jpg

henry0reilly-albums-birds-picture23450-max-feathers-don-t-look-so-good-gray-under-feather-thing-normal.jpg

henry0reilly-albums-birds-picture23449-max-feathers-don-t-look-so-good-gray-under-feather-thing-normal.jpg

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
What are your options for vet care? What are you noticing specifically in terms of possible sickness? His feathering does look a bit rough, as does his posture, but I am not sure what is normal for him.

Are you misting him in the morning? Never mist at night and make sure the temp is warm inside if you do (I tend to have it around 76-78 if spraying and then I dry quickly with a paper towel)

Last edited:
OP
henry0reilly

henry0reilly

Mar 2, 2017
Parrots
YNA (Mad) Max aka Mean Max Green ~2002
Sulfur Crested ‘too Babybird 2015
It just seems like those gray feathers aren't normal looking. Avian vet is 4 weeks out unless you pay a big emergency fee. We took the 'too once, but haven't ever taken Max.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
How is diet, sleep etc? How often do you mist him?
Any hormonal behavior?

So, he has never been to the vet? You need to schedule, even if it is 4 weeks--that's what gives you a baseline for comparison if future issues arise. They need to go 1x a year and get blood a bare minimum of every 3 years. I know that is irritating, but it's super important for things like organ issues, dietary problems, etc etc. This goes for both parrots.

If things get worse or you see something obvious, I'd pay the emergency fee.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
A very good habit is to weigh weekly. Use a digital kitchen scale weekly. Daily if health issues is suspected. 3% of body mass lost seek vet 5% or more is sick. Of course any symptoms should seek vet.
While over preening can be behavior when its legs and tail is usually a health issue, like yeast overgrown, kidney infection...sometimes can be sexual frustrated bird. But health issues need to be ruled out.

What do poops look like?

Most Reactions