Medicating a bird

JimsBrother

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 3, 2022
Messages
145
Reaction score
921
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
Hi Guys. Been a while since I've checked in here. Life has thrown me some nasty curves over the last couple years and I've been preoccupied with health issues.

Amy and Beebs are still here keeping me company. The Beebers is my bud and just wants to sit on my shoulder and poop, like any bird. Amy tolerates me and vice versa. He was my brother's bird and will never really be mine. I feed him, talk to him, and scritch his head. I think he's about 40 now.

I get an annual checkup on Amy including blood work because he's had a heart condition for years. I have meds for him, daily. But this year's tests came back showing liver problems and high white cell count. So now I have an antibiotic and a liver supplement to give him too. They are liquid meds and I'm running out of ideas on what to hide them in. He likes grapes and bananas and it takes 2 large grapes to contain the liver med (it's a big dose). Eventually he'll turn his beak up at those and spit them out. Nutriberries are too hard to inject liquid into. What works well (for now) is a small piece of toasted bread smeared with peanut butter. But I have 5 times a day that this has to be done.

So what other irresistible bird treats are good for hiding meds in? Squirting them directly into his mouth is NOT gonna happen.

And hello to all my birdie friends.
 
I feel your pain.
The same trick rarely works more than twice.
I’ve used Hawaiian bread rolls with the peanut butter smear.

Sometimes a cookie that is able to absorb liquid.
Applesauce works now n then.
Even if Amy doesn’t eat the entire dose what he does get has to do some good and it’s better than nothing.
That liver medicine is nasty stuff.
🤞 good luck.
 
Macaroni noodles with the medicine injected into the middle.

Baby food smeared on toast.

Those are the two I know have worked for others...
 
I believe @GaleriaGila uses organic almond butter to hide meds for her Rickeybird. :)
 
Hiding it in mashed cooked sweet potato is currently working for us with Buddy, but it's not a strong-tasting medicine, so it's easier to get away with. Our birds love stealing oatmeal, so that might work, especially if you can flavor it with mashed berries. We've also injected berries with meds; we have had the best luck with blueberries, but that's going to be difficult with a larger volume. Strawberries have also worked for us, and they have more space inside.

Good luck!
 
Suggestion only. I had to tube feed a fair amount my CAG 3x a day. It was a fight. It ended with following advice here along with my vets. Take into consideration the medication consistency. Any food, any one that will be eaten. Mix good healthy with forbidden. Your aim is a semi soft ball size appropriate for his size. Add medicine. Mix very well. Then mix a bit of a special treat. Mind loved almonds and pistachios. 1/8 tsp of organic almond powder, 2 organic pistachios ground into a fine powder and mixed in. It was a semi soft, flavors enjoyed. You can use sweet potatoes, any bird safe fruit, veggies that he likes. For accuracy to verify intake try for semi soft.
 
Back
Top Bottom