Meet Pocket - the Hahn's Macaw

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
After a long wait, yesterday I picked up my little Hahn's Macaw.

I've named him Pocket for two reasons - one, is size, and two is from a breeder's description of Hahn's Macaws being "Pocket Rockets"

We picked him up from the airport yesterday morning. It took him about an hour before he would come out of his delivery box to explore his sleep cage.

20130109_122958.jpg

I'm keeping him in his sleep cage for about a week or two in the house until he is settled before moving him to his big cage outside.

He has a very curious personality, and what I can see so far, he appears to be rather playful.

I convinced him to leave his delivery box with a toy which he happily shredded.

DSC00804.JPG

Yesterday afternoon, we had him in his cage sitting next to us during dinner and he perked right up. He was making little "hrrrn" vocalisations and kept trying to get as close as possible to the action.

This morning, I sat outside with him for breakfast, same thing, very energetic, hanging upside down off the roof and on his toys.

20130110_092545.jpg

He will perch a little bit on my hand now, but I'm taking it slow. Not forcing him, but rather seeing if he'll come to me. (Which he did - I was shaking from nervousness when he first stepped onto my hand)

I'll get more pictures as I can - my camera is off for repair, so just relying on my phone - but he rarely stays in one spot.

Oh, and I've heard his mini macaw contact call about three times now. :D Kinda cute - the cockatoos flew overhead and he called out to them. Was adorable.

OP
A

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
His outdoor cage: http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/22309-finally-found-cage-hahns.html

Photos of growing up (with his sister*), and some of the toys: http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/24811-playing-waiting-game-hahns.html

* Originally I was going to get the hen, but the breeder decided to put aside the cockbird for me instead as he was quieter/less nippy.

I was kinda hoping for a boy as well as 'Pocket' sounds better as a boys name, - but it can be used for either, so I wouldn't have minded either way.

OP
A

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Pocket is adorable Alisana:)

I love his Name.

Dad doesn't like the name though XD but my partner, mum and sister think it's fine. :p

His response: (only met him today) "What kind of name is Pocket??"

OP
A

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I just popped him off to bed. I'm hoping that bed time won't always be stressful though. :S

He has a bad habit of mucking around in his water bowl around 7-9pm so I have to wait for his feathers to dry. Tonight I've put him to bed MUCH, much later then I would prefer (it was about 10.30 that I put him away)... he got his chest wet TWICE tonight, so I've moved him to his carrier instead and popped a water bottle drip in there instead.

He gets really hyperactive and starts running around on the roof, the walls and bobbing his head up and down at me (very cute performance) but in the process, he rushes through his waterbowl then will run around the walls of the cage flicking his wet feathers against the bars.

Need to work out this sleep time thing... Otherwise I think I might get him fully trained on a bottle instead, and just put that in his cage from 5pm onwards and remove his normal water bowl. *scratches head* :confused:

OP
A

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
20130110_214908.jpg

I got this picture of him earlier on his "bat trip*" around the cage. Out of about 15 photos tonight, this was the clearest shot I could get.

(* My sister mentioned he acts more like a bat then a bird with the amount of times he hangs upside-down)

wwendy104

Dec 30, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
African Grey
Conure
I think the name is cute and different. He is such a handsome little guy. Until this wedsite I had never saw a Hahns Macaw but given the change to get another bird I think Id find one of them. They look like they up to something with that cute little face. Congrats on your new guy!

OP
A

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Welcome
Pocket is absolutely gorgeous
Handsome fella
Enjoy the forum

I think the name is cute and different. He is such a handsome little guy. Until this wedsite I had never saw a Hahns Macaw but given the change to get another bird I think Id find one of them. They look like they up to something with that cute little face. Congrats on your new guy!

Thanks :D I'm hoping his name is unique too, but who knows lol. From what I gather, they pack the full personality of a big macaw in a little package. The first breeder I talked to called them "Pocket Rockets" (hence his name origin) simply due to them being pocket-sized bundles of energy.

He's always very energetic around food time - breakfast and dinner mainly. :green2:

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
they pack the full personality of a big macaw in a little package
LOL!!! That is an understatement :D They can be a real handful if they so choose! :54:

Ours has a little hut in her cage, she will crawl in there and lay upside down in it, its hilarious but I haven't been able to get a pic of it yet.

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Aww, Pocket is quite the cutie, AND such a pretty little guy :). I love the happy expression that's superimposed on Hahn's Macaw faces :D. They always appear so cheerful, almost as if they have some happy thought in mind on a constant basis. It's great that he seems to be adjusting to his new world fairly well, Alisana :).

BTW, I like the name "Pocket" and think it's entirely fitting for your little guy... yet, I must say that your dad's response to it was quite humorous :D:p

OP
A

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Breakfast time, day 3.

After some gentle coaxing, he stepped up for me and I was able to move him into his cage without hassle. (He was in the carrier this morning)

20130111_114109.jpg

20130111_114052.jpg

OP
A

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
they pack the full personality of a big macaw in a little package
LOL!!! That is an understatement :D They can be a real handful if they so choose! :54:

Ours has a little hut in her cage, she will crawl in there and lay upside down in it, its hilarious but I haven't been able to get a pic of it yet.

So I've heard. :p

I've been tossing up getting either of these two: PRC Online Shop l Parrot Toys and Accessories in Australia

PRC Online Shop l Parrot Toys and Accessories in Australia

Aww, Pocket is quite the cutie, AND such a pretty little guy :). I love the happy expression that's superimposed on Hahn's Macaw faces :D. They always appear so cheerful, almost as if they have some happy thought in mind on a constant basis. It's great that he seems to be adjusting to his new world fairly well, Alisana :).

BTW, I like the name "Pocket" and think it's entirely fitting for your little guy... yet, I must say that your dad's response to it was quite humorous :D:p

I love the cute little sounds he makes when he's sitting next to me. :D And thanks!

What a cutie!

hehehe

:green2:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
How utterly adorable! You must be SO happy and elated to finally have your baby home with you. :D Pocket is ADORABLE! What a cute face!!!!! And I think the name is quite fitting AND it has a nice ring to it as well. :)

OP
A

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
How utterly adorable! You must be SO happy and elated to finally have your baby home with you. :D Pocket is ADORABLE! What a cute face!!!!! And I think the name is quite fitting AND it has a nice ring to it as well. :)

Oh, I am! I was fretting the night before we picked him up worrying about anything that could go wrong, and was so nervous that my partner drove me to airport and back.

The whole time though, I would've driven him insane, "Keep your eyes on the road!" "Both hands on the wheel!" "Careful! Don't turn too sharply!" ... XD I was very paranoid the whole way there and back... lol I kept cuddling his delivery box to my chest and kept talking softly to him the whole way home. He seemed fine though and was happily munching away through his seeds.

When I heard the breeder call them "Pocket Rockets", I was thinking that Pocket would be an awesome name. :D I'm very happy with my choice.

Last edited:
OP
A

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Some new pictures:

Sleep cage and carrier:
20130111_142421.jpg

He came out of his cage earlier today and sat with me at my laptop, so I played some macaw videos for him.
20130111_132021.jpg

By afternoon though, he was buggered so put a towel over the back part of his cage so he wouldn't get any drafts from the aircon behind him.
20130111_162139.jpg

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
It truly looks like Pocket made himself right at home. :D

I giggled pretty hard when I read about your trip BACK from the airport, you cuddling Pocket's box, reminding your partner to take it easy...lol.

Blue

Aug 16, 2012
portland, or
Parrots
Odin - CAG
Salty- Hahn's Macaw
Greenie - Eclectus
Lexi- Eclectus
Pocket is a cute name... perfect for such cute bird

Salty's happy thought is of taking a chunk out of me :p

Most Reactions