Mini Macaw and conures?

as31

Feb 19, 2024
Parrots
cherry head conure
I have had a cherry head conure (medium conure) for about 2 years. Recently I posted on avian avenue about getting an eclectus for him. After a few replies, people have said the mini macaw. I am wondering if a mini macaw and a cherry head conure would be okay to have in the same cage.

Feel free to inform me and give me some ideas for another species I could have.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I have had a cherry head conure (medium conure) for about 2 years. Recently I posted on avian avenue about getting an eclectus for him. After a few replies, people have said the mini macaw. I am wondering if a mini macaw and a cherry head conure would be okay to have in the same cage.

Just a few questionsā€¦ do you yourself want another parrot? Or are you looking to get your conure a friend?

The reason I ask this is because sometimes parrots do not get along. Sometimes they get along, and then later on decide that they donā€™t like each other anymore. Sometimes they donā€™t like each other to start, but then like each other later. There are no guarantees that 2 birds will like each other. I myself would never stick 2 birds in the same cage unless I know they are a bonded pair. Iā€™ve seen too many claw injuries after the fact. Usually it consisted of a parrot removing a toe off another. Their disagreements can be brutal. Some Macaws have such a strong bite force that they can crush another parrots beak. Just be careful in the decision you make, and really do your research. Consult with local shelters, and vets for assistance. Some of these resources can be helpful.

Yes, some parrots do get along just fine. Itā€™s not all rain & doom. I just try to prepare people for the worst that way they understand what can go wrong.

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey

To start with, you are going to need two cages. Absolutely you should not make this a "forced marriage ". They can share thr same room, play time, etc. as they want, but the relationship needs to be on their terms.

And yes, valid point above... is the new addition because you have time, desire, knowledge, etc to add to your family or is it because you are having problems with parrot 1 and think that parrot 2 will fix these problems?

I cannot comment to the proposed combination of parrots. They themselves will decide. I had five different species "together", but they all had their own homes šŸ˜.

Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts