hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Hey guys. I haven't logged in for quite a while.

I lost my cockatiel Bitty last night to mysterious circumstances. I'm still very much hurting, it's been a difficult day. Most vets in my area were closed and unavailable for a necropsy, and the emergency vets told me they wouldn't do it, so I worry I'll never understand what happened. She was normal on Friday and gone on Saturday.

Wishing the best to everyone else. Give your birds a scritch for me, and if you're on the forums because you've lost someone as well, then I'm very sorry for your loss.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hey guys. I haven't logged in for quite a while.

I lost my cockatiel Bitty last night to mysterious circumstances. I'm still very much hurting, it's been a difficult day. Most vets in my area were closed and unavailable for a necropsy, and the emergency vets told me they wouldn't do it, so I worry I'll never understand what happened. She was normal on Friday and gone on Saturday.

Wishing the best to everyone else. Give your birds a scritch for me, and if you're on the forums because you've lost someone as well, then I'm very sorry for your loss.
Oh @hiriki, I'm so sorry for your loss of Bitty, my very deepest condolences go out to you. And I'm so sorry it happened, as it so often does, outside vet's usual hours and that you could not find anyone willing or able to help! May your memories of happy times with Bitty comfort your aching heart, your precious girl will most certainly be waiting for you at the Bridge 🙏🌈

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
My condolences on the loss of Bitty. This sudden passing does happen with parrots, it happened to me with my last one before I got Salty. Max was fine in the AM and all of a sudden he just....... went. I was devastated and I still get choked up when thinking about him. Like now.

5 minutes later. Getting a necropsy on your parrot requires the body to be put in a refrigerator (NOT a freezer) immediately until the Avian Vet can see him. Taking him to a regular cat and dog vet is pointless, they will not know what to look for as far as a cause of death.

I make a 2X yearly donation to Cornell Univ. in the names of parrots on ParrotForums that have passed away. Bitty will be on the next one.

OP
hiriki

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Thank you everyone for your kind words. And thank you @wrench13 for including Bitty's name in your donation.

I did keep her refrigerated over the weekend, as horrible as it felt to do, and my regular vet took her from me this morning to perform a necropsy. They told me the results may be inconclusive depending on the tissue degradation that's already occurred but I'm hoping that they're able to tell me what happened. Yes, I want to make sure my other fids are safe, but I also just want the closure of understanding. I don't know if it will turn into feelings of "I should have done x differently" but I just feel like I need to know.

Edit: Well, I just got the call back and I'm as puzzled as ever. Her necropsy came back normal, aside from her being underweight, which she's always been and I've had her seen by the vet and tested for bornavirus with no conclusive explanation as to why. I guess I wasn't meant to understand what happened.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts