Mites!

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots
"Rosemary" Red-and-green macaw (Ara chloropterus)
So I'm down in South America so no idea if these are unique to here or other places too, but there has been an explosion of mites around here. They are suddenly on my dog, my chickens, and my Macaw, Rosemary. I'm not sure if they bite, they don't show signs of biting, they seem mostly interested in waste and leftover food but wow are they annoying when they get on you! I'm cleaning the cage over and over but now sure how to get them off her (or the chickens for that mater). Any ideas? I don't really have access to many commercial products here.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
So I'm down in South America so no idea if these are unique to here or other places too, but there has been an explosion of mites around here. They are suddenly on my dog, my chickens, and my Macaw, Rosemary. I'm not sure if they bite, they don't show signs of biting, they seem mostly interested in waste and leftover food but wow are they annoying when they get on you! I'm cleaning the cage over and over but now sure how to get them off her (or the chickens for that mater). Any ideas? I don't really have access to many commercial products here.
I've read that you can put olive oil on bird mites and it basically suffocates them, but over doing it would be dangerous for the bird. I have snakes and you can use olive oil to kill their mites as well. I hope someone else chimes in because I've never had my birds have mites and can't say how effective this method is for them.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Have never had to deal with mites. Would recommend a trip to your locate Vet for a prescription. With you likely treating all your Pets a wide use product would be best, just assure that it is Parrot Safe.

Using an oil based product can be problematic with Parrots as it tends to coat the feathers and requires more than just water to remove from the feathers.

OP
JayInTheJungle

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots
"Rosemary" Red-and-green macaw (Ara chloropterus)
Have never had to deal with mites. Would recommend a trip to your locate Vet for a prescription. With you likely treating all your Pets a wide use product would be best, just assure that it is Parrot Safe.

Using an oil based product can be problematic with Parrots as it tends to coat the feathers and requires more than just water to remove from the feathers.
I'm in the middle of nowhere in South America. The one decent vet in the nearby town (other "vets" in town have told me things like 'coat your dog in used motor oil for ticks' so no chance of going to them again) only does cats and dogs. There are no prescriptions for parrots here. So I'm going to need to get creative. I suspect they started with the chickens so I'm going to be treating them with Lime or diatomaceous earth. Anyone know if DE is safe on parrots?
https://wholelifestylenutrition.com/natural-solutions/what-is-diatomaceous-earth/

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm in the middle of nowhere in South America. The one decent vet in the nearby town (other "vets" in town have told me things like 'coat your dog in used motor oil for ticks' so no chance of going to them again) only does cats and dogs. There are no prescriptions for parrots here. So I'm going to need to get creative. I suspect they started with the chickens so I'm going to be treating them with Lime or diatomaceous earth. Anyone know if DE is safe on parrots?
https://wholelifestylenutrition.com/natural-solutions/what-is-diatomaceous-earth/

See reply in your other Thread.

Most Reactions