Wood Ash bath for mites on a macaw?

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots
"Rosemary" Red-and-green macaw (Ara chloropterus)
So researching my mite issues, wood ash seems to be the way to go for my chicken. I'm wondering what you all think about giving Rosemary an ash "bath" to kill the mites. Supposedly harmless for chickens. Just not sure about using on a macaw. I'm in the middle of nowhere in Bolivia so access to commercial products are limited and the local flea poison I was recommended here I do not trust to be safe. They don't exactly have the same chemical safety standards down here.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would feel pretty safe using that on my bird. It should at least reduce the mites.

Iā€™ve heard of wild birds asking their feathers, kind of like anting, presumably to remove parasites.

You donā€™t have many alternatives.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If it is good for the chickens, it worth trying. Remember that the goal is to suffocate the mites and have them go looking for other places.

Find out what the locals are using to drive the mites out of their homes as it is very likely that everyone and thing has them and so will your home.

OP
JayInTheJungle

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots
If it is good for the chickens, it worth trying. Remember that the goal is to suffocate the mites and have them go looking for other places.

Find out what the locals are using to drive the mites out of their homes as it is very likely that everyone and thing has them and so will your home.
Unfortunately locals tend to buy really toxic poisons I wouldn't feel safe using. A lot of chemicals are still used here that are banded around the world.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Unfortunately locals tend to buy really toxic poisons I wouldn't feel safe using. A lot of chemicals are still used here that are banded around the world.
Is there any way someone can send you some ivermectin? Itā€™s not very expensive. I even have some, from having finches a few years ago. In US one doesnā€™t have much concern about mites on parrots so I donā€™t need it. Or could someone send you that ā€œmite powderā€ that comes in a sprinkle can?

Last edited:
OP
JayInTheJungle

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots
So I gave her a wood ash dusting. She didn't seem to mind at all and it cleared up the mites in a mater of hours! Cleaning the cage thoroughly and frequently. Gave all my chickens an ash bath too. Seems to be working.
Is there any way someone can send you some ivermectin? Itā€™s not very expensive. I even have some, from having finches a few years ago. In US one doesnā€™t have much concern about mites on parrots so I donā€™t need it. Or could someone send you that ā€œmite powderā€ that comes in a sprinkle can?
I know there is ivermectin here but it is for cattle and usually in paste form. I was looking for drops for birds to have someone bring down here but they don't seem to be OTC in the US like they are in Europe.

Most Reactions

Latest posts