Moving Internationally with lilac amazona

birdieval

Mar 9, 2024
Parrots
Lila crown amazona
Hi,

i bought a parrot on a ranch back in 1996 Lilac-crown amazona. Now I got it in Mexico and lived with him 27 years and I have to move to the US. now I'm scared because it seems owning my parrot became illegal in 2001 in Mexico. Has anyone traveled with an amazon internationally and got the export and import permits?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Hi,

i bought a parrot on a ranch back in 1996 Lilac-crown amazona. Now I got it in Mexico and lived with him 27 years and I have to move to the US. now I'm scared because it seems owning my parrot became illegal in 2001 in Mexico. Has anyone traveled with an amazon internationally and got the export and import permits?
I wish I could help you.
I have no idea how Mexico handles this issue just from the departure point of view.
But.
My Mother in law lives in Colombia.
She was forced to give up her 3 amazon parrots.
The government their runs a rehab center to try to teach “pet parrots “ to live in the wild.

Best thing I can think of is get copies of his earliest vet visits to prove ownership before the law charged.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As stated above, documenting ownership is very important!! The more history the better. A long history of Avian Vet Care helps greatly.

Understanding that importing from Mexico has a long history of Black Market, unlawful activities and as a result the same type of laws exist in the US. That said, Transporting a documentation 'pet' Parrot from another country into the US is fairly common. Proving the health of the Parrot can be problematic as the US requires that the Parrot has a current (recently issued by a Certified Avian Vet) Health Certificate along with the proper paperwork, commonly provided by your air carrier. Your traveling on the same flight as your parrot is a must.

Most successful travels begin with an effort beginning at least one year in advance of the flight date and having all required documentation by both Countries.

Most Reactions

Latest posts