Help us choose our future parrot!

Vincent_V48

Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2026
Messages
51
Reaction score
22
Location
Norway
Parrots
None yet, currently researching compatible ones!

Hello & Thank you for reading through my post, any advice is greatly appreciated!​

06 Sept. 2026 EDIT: I might reconsider adding a CAG/TAG to the list of possibility, rather than writing them off entirely due to so many people voicing their love for their CAG. I had previously believed they required way more then I thought, and it was simply a question of understanding their needs. You won me over!
We will also not have a bird room, instead, we are getting the cat his own playroom upstairs and the bird will be with us for 90% of the day except sleeping time. We can give a minimum 4-5 hours quality/outside cage time per day.
-------------

We're a couple from Norway who are looking to own birds again in the near future. We've both had cockatiels, budgies & button quails for 5-10 years before we got together, and now we're looking for our next adventure! We work from home and make our own hours, which means we will be home 24/7!​

However our living situation need some attending to, some major changes are needed in order to make this work. I will try to make a detailed & comprehensive list (cause I really like making those) to inform everyone reading as much as possible so I can get more clear answers about what would fit us! Thank you for reading the incoming paragraphs! 🐦'
-------------

WHY A PARROT?​

My first ever pet was a true albino budgie who sadly died on my 14th birthday. I've had around 10~throughout 15 years, oldest pair lived to be 8 and 10. I didn't know much at all back then about keeping birds and how much they really needed. Many of the early ones passed away when I was a child due to incorrect care, which I still have bad dreams about to this day. I started letting the ones I had out of the cage as soon as I got home from school in my first apartment, that's when I really got to observe happy birds. They were a joy to have around me chirpin', playing and pooping (One even landed on my cheeseburger..) I had to rehome my last 2 when I moved back home to a new place, and didn't get birds again since. Lately, my boyfriend (who had cockatiels) threw around the idea of keeping birds again, which I stuck to REAL hard. That was barely a month ago, and I've been doing hours of research per day since then. I went from Amazons, to Cockatiels, to Meyer's, and then up to Amazon and then back to Quakers. I remember really wanting a cockatoo in my younger age (I am 34 now) but I know for sure that is not the bird for me in this lifetime. I got serious bird fever right now, and I have a lot of ideas with medium to high expectations about owning a smaller-to-medium sized parrot. This will not happen for at least 2 years if anything, so I will eventually calm down and really find out of my drive to committ the rest of my life to 1 bird is something I truly want. I like the size of Meyer's/Amazons for example, but learning to handle them is something entirely different. Unfortunately, there's only ONE bird rescue in the entire country and it is 7 hours away by car, each way. So I cannot learn how to handle them in real life unless I know someone nearby. I am looking for a bigger bird, and a big personality. Someone social & intelligent that I can read books to, and show my favorite songs. I want to open my mail in front of them like it was christmas and share the excitement. I like a bird that will almost communicate with me through noises and phrases.. All of these of course, are not guaranteed, and that's fine!

I would like this bird to be THE bird, one and only. I'd like do go as all-out as I can within reason, budgies and cockatiels MIGHT be a bit too small for my taste nowadays (but nothing is set in stone!) Someone I can share the rest of my lifespan with preferably alongside my partner, and know for sure it won't be left behind after me when I pass. We are not going to have kids and I never felt the need to, but if anything my biological clock it ticking on parrots... their lifespans are massive! There aren't many options in Norway for exotic birds, so the ones I am going to list are predominantly the ones I know -exist- at all in my country. I believe Nordics & EU banned exotic bird import back in 2015 and what exists now are from breeders only and not wild caught, from what I know.

CURRENT ANIMALS: ​

We currently have 2 dogs and a cat, which is a bit of a problem. I know you -can- have them together, we have a few options to counter this. We would like our oldest chihuahua to live the rest of her life bird-free so far, she's reactive and will bark and possibly startle the bird, or she can become frightened of it. The chinese crested is very very calm with other animals of different species, so he will most likely be still in his blanket but will still be kept out of the bird's way. Our cat has prey drive for outside birds, so he will not share the room with one under any circumstances, which is where our number 1 problem comes in. We also had 12 aquariums, but I've now downscaled to 6 (and more to cut lol) in preparation for bird workload since I am no longer breeding & selling guppies.

SPACE:​

We have a spacious 3 story house in a semi-rural place by the open ocean. We have 4 neighbours total in our neighbourhood, so it's very quiet and nice. We have 2 rooms upstairs, one large and one smaller which we can turn into The Bird Room depending on what we get and how big they are. The cat will of course be banned from entering these rooms at all times. However, this means we will have to rotate our time with the pets to ensure they all get what they need. So the birds will not see us walking about but only hear us downstairs until we come up to take them out of the cage. The cat may be outside or separated from the livingroom while we bring the bird downstairs for 2~hours and rotate after dinner. We can spend upstairs time with them too of course!
Another thing we can do, is have the bird's cage in our bedroom. This is not optimal if the bird has lots of dust (we're both allergic to dustmites with mild asthma) Then we'd have to think about how the bird reacts during the morning & night since we sleep in a little, and stay up late, if they start calling and would lose sleep if they had different routines then us. Having a bird cage in the livingroom would be the best if only for the cat. I do not like to think about the cat trying to scale the cage and climb up, wafting his paws through the bars and whatnot. He already agitates the chihuahua through her cage as is so this is probably a future sight if anything.

FINANCES:​

I have my own business as a freelance artist, alongside being on welfare for chronic illness. So you might say we have lots of time to committ to these birds during the day. We rarely ever leave the house, even to visit family, even then we keep it short because I do not like leaving the dogs in their cages for more then 3-4 hours at most. This would also go for the birds and then some. That said, after paying for my current car by next year, I'm starting a bird bank account either way...just in case. We don't have "macaw money" but I'd definitely go crazy with whatever's needed for the bird. Looking at cages for $1500 double the price of the bird alone, + toys and food.


My only concern is avian vet, there are only a handful of them in Norway that I know of after looking up a list in a Norwegian parrot group. Both of the "closest" ones are 2 hours away by car in either direction, which is strenuous but doable. I can only hope we do not have an emergency situation. I'm planning on doing local calls to see if there actually are a few avian vets closer by, they don't really advertise other then "Small Pet Vet" that deals with rodents and such.

-----------------
 

Attachments

  • halloo.webp
    halloo.webp
    91.1 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
PART 2:

PARROT LIST!​

So, now I will list the birds I have taken a look at and what I currently think. I'm still in the very very early stage of researching, and there are LOTS of birds out here. It's really up to what truly fits our current situation the best, since I do not want to rehome a pet in order to get another. And the cat is only about halfway in his lifespan as well, turning 8 this October!

The list is still a huge work in progress only based on birds I have found and looked at myself

This list will be from No to Yes basically, starting off with:





NOT IN THIS LIFETIME:

Any Macaw, Cockatoo & African Grey, Sun conures & Lovebirds.
Too large & in-charge! I will not be able to handle their noise (Sun Conure/Lovebird as well, I'd rather take screaming then smoke alarms in my eardrum), destructive power & high emotional needs. Also the beaks scare me.


  • PROBABLY NOT...BUT: ​
    • Amazons. To be honest, I'd really love (the idea) of having one of these. It's the only medium sized parrot I have ever handled throughout 10 years in a local pet store. He was probably the exception to the rule of Amazons. Extremely sweet, free range boy who perched on me up to my shoulder every time we met. We often locked eyes making noises at each other, and I really liked how responsive he was, both vocally and eye-pinning. I got an eye for him at the time, but it wasn't destined to be.. after 10 years they shut down the store and I won't see him again. Their lifespan makes this difficult, it would have to be an older rehomed one, which can pose an entirely new can of worms. Also, the one person bonding thing scares me a little. But if I really really could have a shot at a medium parrot, it would have to be this one. Bruno was also a yellow-crowned!​
A CHANCE?:

Eclectus, Senegals & Meyer's, Quaker!
I recently started looking into Eclectus, initially I didn't know what to think of them, but the more I started researching I think I'd enjoy their personality and intelligence a lot. Only thing I would have a hrd time with, is their diet & year-around hormones. Their beaks are so sharp... As for Senegals, they look more energic than Meyer's, which I like. However they are a bit rare here, so I won't be able to find out what they are truly like until I get one. Also, I am more inclined to want a parrot that has a tendency to mimic more on average for their species, but not a must! Same goes for Meyer's, they look sweet but maybe a bit too timid/laid back? However I've read that they are slightly more independent and can handle cage time well with enough toys since we have to do the Pet Rotation. As for the Quaker, I had no idea this bird existed until 2 months ago, it might be the cutest thing I have ever seen and I love their energy, mischievousness & personality. Only thing I'd have to manage without fail is cage aggression and possible 1 person bond, otherwise I'd really love a Quaker.



----------------------
 
Last edited:
Welcome. You're really done some thinking. Have you considered food? Larger parrots are recommended to have a bit of pellets in their diet. The amount, brand is a controversy. I'm a pro pellet in recommend amount. Some foods for large parrots are expensive and increasing difficult to get. Check out the food thinking. You work from home. Phone in separate room able to be sound proof? Computers and sound means nothing.. Phone can limit choice from vocal birds. Honestly bird shopping is so much fun! Good luck and keep reading.
.
 
Welcome. You're really done some thinking. Have you considered food? Larger parrots are recommended to have a bit of pellets in their diet. The amount, brand is a controversy. I'm a pro pellet in recommend amount. Some foods for large parrots are expensive and increasing difficult to get. Check out the food thinking. You work from home. Phone in separate room able to be sound proof? Computers and sound means nothing.. Phone can limit choice from vocal birds. Honestly bird shopping is so much fun! Good luck and keep reading.
.
Hmm took a quick look, we usually have: Nutribird, Tropican, Prestige, Psittacus, Harrisons (more rare, very expensive for a little bag) Roudybush from specialty import store online, 25 pounds for about $110, So you might have a point there.. I do not trust pet store food at all, and haven't looked up what's really in these other ones. We would otherwise feed fresh & sprouted, then it really depends on the parrot in question for its diet. Also I don't use the phone at work, only e-mail so that's also not a problem for me!
 
I agree with pets store. It's the expiration dates. The others aren't too bad. Don't ley my African Grey final out you got pistachios. She might ask me to get her a passport!
 
PART 2:

PARROT LIST!​

So, now I will list the birds I have taken a look at and what I currently think. I'm still in the very very early stage of researching, and there are LOTS of birds out here. It's really up to what truly fits our current situation the best, since I do not want to rehome a pet in order to get another. And the cat is only about halfway in his lifespan as well, turning 8 this October!

The list is still a huge work in progress only based on birds I have found and looked at myself

This list will be from No to Yes basically, starting off with:





NOT IN THIS LIFETIME:

Any Macaw, Cockatoo & African Grey, Sun conures & Lovebirds.
Too large & in-charge! I will not be able to handle their noise (Sun Conure/Lovebird as well, I'd rather take screaming then smoke alarms in my eardrum), destructive power & high emotional needs. Also the beaks scare me.


  • PROBABLY NOT...BUT: ​
    • Amazons. To be honest, I'd really love (the idea) of having one of these. It's the only medium sized parrot I have ever handled throughout 10 years in a local pet store. He was probably the exception to the rule of Amazons. Extremely sweet, free range boy who perched on me up to my shoulder every time we met. We often locked eyes making noises at each other, and I really liked how responsive he was, both vocally and eye-pinning. I got an eye for him at the time, but it wasn't destined to be.. after 10 years they shut down the store and I won't see him again. Their lifespan makes this difficult, it would have to be an older rehomed one, which can pose an entirely new can of worms. Also, the one person bonding thing scares me a little. But if I really really could have a shot at a medium parrot, it would have to be this one. Bruno was also a yellow-crowned!​
A CHANCE?:

Eclectus, Senegals & Meyer's, Quaker!
I recently started looking into Eclectus, initially I didn't know what to think of them, but the more I started researching I think I'd enjoy their personality and intelligence a lot. Only thing I would have a hrd time with, is their diet & year-around hormones. Their beaks are so sharp... As for Senegals, they look more energic than Meyer's, which I like. However they are a bit rare here, so I won't be able to find out what they are truly like until I get one. Also, I am more inclined to want a parrot that has a tendency to mimic more on average for their species, but not a must! Same goes for Meyer's, they look sweet but maybe a bit too timid/laid back? However I've read that they are slightly more independent and can handle cage time well with enough toys since we have to do the Pet Rotation. As for the Quaker, I had no idea this bird existed until 2 months ago, it might be the cutest thing I have ever seen and I love their energy, mischievousness & personality. Only thing I'd have to manage without fail is cage aggression and possible 1 person bond, otherwise I'd really love a Quaker.



---------------------

tagging along for your adventure 🥳
 
If not for the other pets in the house I would say you shouldn’t rule out an African Grey.
Generally speaking they aren’t noisy just vocal which isn’t the same thing.
They also get along with multiple people in the house.

But their fear factor and having predators in the same house…. It would take a special African Grey not to be in constant fear.

Have you considered a Cape parrot?
They have many of the same attributes as a Grey but might be more calm around others pets.
 
Eyy thanks! Might be quite a few years of waiting, but I'll try post to this thread when it happens~
 
If not for the other pets in the house I would say you shouldn’t rule out an African Grey.
Generally speaking they aren’t noisy just vocal which isn’t the same thing.
They also get along with multiple people in the house.

But their fear factor and having predators in the same house…. It would take a special African Grey not to be in constant fear.

Have you considered a Cape parrot?
They have many of the same attributes as a Grey but might be more calm around others pets.
Hmm I do see African Grey's quite often for sale over here, they're the top 3 parrot in Norway afaik. However, I think they would pose a challenge for me to get a rehomed one since I hear they can be neurotic and very emotional. I don't know if I could give what it needs, but then again I have not properly researched them since I ruled them out. The cat would live for another 8 years, and I'd like to -try- get something before then if possible if the cat slows down when he's a senior.

As for the gladiator, never heard of this one, I doubt it ever got imported to Norway considering it's a threatened species.
 
Hmm I do see African Grey's quite often for sale over here, they're the top 3 parrot in Norway afaik. However, I think they would pose a challenge for me to get a rehomed one since I hear they can be neurotic and very emotional. I don't know if I could give what it needs, but then again I have not properly researched them since I ruled them out. The cat would live for another 8 years, and I'd like to -try- get something before then if possible if the cat slows down when he's a senior.

As for the gladiator, never heard of this one, I doubt it ever got imported to Norway considering it's a threatened species.
I think something got lost in translation.
The parrot I suggested is called “Cape parrot “..
About the same size as a Congo African grey.
They are reported to be as intelligent as a Grey but less high strung.
Finding one might be difficult.
IMG_2066.webp
 
I think something got lost in translation.
The parrot I suggested is called “Cape parrot “..
About the same size as a Congo African grey.
They are reported to be as intelligent as a Grey but less high strung.
Finding one might be difficult.
View attachment 85785
Oh yeah I accidentally used the Norwegian name for it, "Gladiatorpapegøye" which is Cape Parrot, I have not seen these at all.
 
I tend to believe African Grey get a bad rap here. They are very intelligent and emotional. A healthy CAG is cautious. They don't like anything in their area they can't train, dominate, control, sneak a nip, or be cute and manipulate. I do agree with getting a parrot to fit the living situation. The animals are going to be a problem no matter what. Do you have a draft free area picked out? Can it be made pet proof? If your bird gets loose and flying around is it limited to that pet free space? Find and practice keeping it that way. Have a way to keep track of how many times it's not secured. ThYou can place something music, stream when you're not in area.
 
We have had our African Grey Bella for almost 10 years.
She is maybe 11/12 years old and was a plucker when we got her.

I can’t imagine life without her.
She chose us on first meeting her.
She chose my wife as her person but remains friendly with other family members.
Always saying something new and surprising.
Noise and chaos my other birds make never seem to upset her.

In the end I think you should be open to the parrots up for adoption and be on the lookout for the ones who choose you. Don’t be to stuck on a particular species.
 
I tend to believe African Grey get a bad rap here. They are very intelligent and emotional. A healthy CAG is cautious. They don't like anything in their area they can't train, dominate, control, sneak a nip, or be cute and manipulate. I do agree with getting a parrot to fit the living situation. The animals are going to be a problem no matter what. Do you have a draft free area picked out? Can it be made pet proof? If your bird gets loose and flying around is it limited to that pet free space? Find and practice keeping it that way. Have a way to keep track of how many times it's not secured. ThYou can place something music, stream when you're not in area.
I would most likely love any bird we would get no matter what, but I would try to get one that would compliment our current living situation the most so that the bird isn't on guard all the time. But that may also just not work out with a cat existing on the other side of a door at all, we'll have to see how we feel in a few years time.

We have 2 rooms upstairs that can be locked with a key in case anyone sneaky figured out how to open a door. One is near twice as big as the other (old master bedroom) both have 1 window and a balcony door. We know it's draft free cause it gets real hot up there due to the sun arcing perfectly through each room from morning to night, so that's another management we'd have to think about, keeping the temperature & air stable. We can also get cable proof covers and have a camera up there along with a radio or something else for them!
 
We have had our African Grey Bella for almost 10 years.
She is maybe 11/12 years old and was a plucker when we got her.

I can’t imagine life without her.
She chose us on first meeting her.
She chose my wife as her person but remains friendly with other family members.
Always saying something new and surprising.
Noise and chaos my other birds make never seem to upset her.

In the end I think you should be open to the parrots up for adoption and be on the lookout for the ones who choose you. Don’t be to stuck on a particular species.
I do like the idea of a bird choosing me, and I'd probably fall for them immediately and take them home haha. If you really think we could take care of a grey despite having a senior cat at the time, I will take a second look at them just in case. For some reason I kept thinking Grey's were for experts only when it came to caring for them.

They -do- meet my interests, I just thought they were too advanced for someone who have only had budgies, but then again I'm looking at other parrots that may be more challenging to manage if they started becoming agitated and bitey, other then plucking.
 
We have had our African Grey Bella for almost 10 years.
She is maybe 11/12 years old and was a plucker when we got her.

I can’t imagine life without her.
She chose us on first meeting her.
She chose my wife as her person but remains friendly with other family members.
Always saying something new and surprising.
Noise and chaos my other birds make never seem to upset her.

In the end I think you should be open to the parrots up for adoption and be on the lookout for the ones who choose you. Don’t be to stuck on a particular species.
As above. I do have to ne careful. She's so manipulative in getting that extra pistachio!
 
As above. I do have to ne careful. She's so manipulative in getting that extra pistachio!
They seem extremely smart, I feel I'd have to challenge myself to create new activities for them everyday to really use their brain. I saw someone called Ellie (Goffin's I believe?) fully use a kid iPad to communicate her needs, and call other birds. So hi-tech!
 
They seem extremely smart, I feel I'd have to challenge myself to create new activities for them everyday to really use their brain. I saw someone called Ellie (Goffin's I believe?) fully use a kid iPad to communicate her needs, and call other birds. So hi-tech!
Our Bella has (repeatedly) unlocked my Cockatiels cage.
Now that we have the door double locked she has started breaking the bars of the cage and damaging them. Haven’t found a deterrent short of keeping her out of the room with the Cockatiels.
She has damaged the kitchen cupboards.
She has damaged the woodwork/molding around the bathroom door.

But none of this trouble is specific to Bella as an African Grey. Any species of parrot can and will cause trouble if given the chance.
 
Our Bella has (repeatedly) unlocked my Cockatiels cage.
Now that we have the door double locked she has started breaking the bars of the cage and damaging them. Haven’t found a deterrent short of keeping her out of the room with the Cockatiels.
She has damaged the kitchen cupboards.
She has damaged the woodwork/molding around the bathroom door.

But none of this trouble is specific to Bella as an African Grey. Any species of parrot can and will cause trouble if given the chance.
Omg that's amusing and a little scary, their intelligence is unmatched haha!
Do they bond to multiple people in the household? It's important to me that the parrot will accept my boyfriend at least. We rarely get visitors, so as long as they won't lunge/become hard to handle in case I became sick or indisposed for a day. I guess any parrot can form strong bonds and have their own personality, I'm not sure if one species is notorious for it then others.
 
20250708_090433.webp
Nameliss has to use a food house to stop her from throwing food dishes with expensive pellets on cage bottom. She plays with dish. She threw water dish on bottom saying opps. So water bottle. She can now only throw bottle out of cage. Currently she is trying to figure out how to open chest freezer. To find the pistachiosShe's not a chewer. She's a disassembly expert. She loves taking apart. So yes all parrots require thinking. She knows how to give correct answers on speaker phone. It can be embarrassing. Any parrot has pros and cons. Research is necessary. Sorry I am definitely in favor of my Grey feathered dictator. As you can see in pic. She's not using easy clean as advertised. She's eating on edge dropping pellets on bottom.
 
Back
Top Bottom