Help us choose our future parrot!

Not a lot of meyer's around, but I know some sennies. They chew a good amount for such a little bird(which makes it easy to occupy them, rather than struggling to find something they like. But it also means you have to watch them well in the house). They can do super cute whistles. I have heard that some talk in contexr but have no personally witnessed that. I have seen sennies and red bellied really get into swinging on swings, which is highly adorable. Some are more comfy with strangere, others more shy. A decent amount gets possesive to one person, some senegals also attack other birds in the house, different species usually. I think a lot can be mitagatef by letting them have a partial natural upbringing, so they dont imprint on humans too much. I visit a rescue with an aviary of about 30 senegals, a meyer, a cape and two jardines sometimes. These are all ex companions. It is one of my favorite aviaries, they are bold and cute. Sometimes I even scritch one through the wire. Only other type of bird that happens with, is all cockatoos basically. They have loads of amazons, greys, macaws, pyrrhura conures, mini macaws, lovies, budgies, quackers, caiques etc. Thr quackers, caiques and senegals always stand out as open to interaction. Apart from the cockatoos, which is a given with them and rather sad:( it is much more healthy with the other three species. Although, as is typical of caiques, they can get too excited and lash out at their flock mates. Sennies arent nice either when a more confident bird wants to move a less confident bird, but with them it is jist the way it is, and not excitement related.
Good to know what they like beforehand! I hear it makes sense for some species to chew more than others due to what they forage with their beaks and such, huge strength and all. Also something I hadn't thought of was how some diseases are easier for certain birds to develop from their diet & breeding (fatty liver etc) but that makes sense. Feels like every bird needs specialized care one way or another from diet to space & stimulation. It's exciting to figure out bit by bit after more research what would truly fit us. Still a month away or more until we get to meet some birds.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom