Muffin's or Chop??

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Ok then, I am the self-proclaimed Muffin Man :D I just spent the last four hours cutting and chopping and mixing a big bowl of muffin mix,and just put two pan's in the oven to bake,probably have enough mix for another two pans lol (12 muff's to a pan).
I've tried chop before. Make a bunch,spoon enough into freezer bags (usually enough for four servings..brekky and dinner for two days).
I found that when I pulled a bag out of the freezer and put it into the 'fridge to dethaw,by the time it's ready,there is a ton of moisture/water and everything seems way soggy:(, not enticing to me.
So I went with muffins..bake 'em right up,in bags to the freezer,pull a muffin or two out to thaw over night then nuke for thirty seconds ( the fid's like their food warm ;)) and the stuff is still kind of crunchy (at least NOT soupy!)

I wont rehash on the ingredience, but there is all sorts of stuff from fruits and veggies to other stuff :p

Jim

Last edited:
OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

How do u make them into muffins?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

By using what I call "binder" ingredience..corn meal,brown rice flour,quinoa,hemp/pumpkin seed,flax seed/granola and other things,two eggs and 2 cups water..a LITTLE honey,then mix the chopped veggies and fruits and mix well :D Everything I use is 100% organic! I bake them for about 45 minutes at 350 degree's.

Jim

Last edited:
OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Tonights receipt has yellow/red/orange peppers,cucumber,radish,corn niblets,kale,grapes,banana,sweet potato,apple/blue berry baby food,pumpkin baby food..

Jim

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
We’ve followed your muffin/chop and Kevin’s tastebuds approve. We have other produce that isn’t in the US, but the outcome is the same.

Serve it up on a silver tray I say!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
Jim, I may have to try your muffin recipe. I've tried making birdie bread for the kids using boxed cornbread mix as the binder, but they were not impressed and prefer their chop. However, they won't eat it if it's been frozen because it gets soggy, so their daily chop isn't as varied as I'd like since it has to be freshly chopped every morning and it's just not practical to have that much produce on hand for 4 birds. If your muffins hold up in the freezer though, I could give them more variety every day. Thank you!

Amadeo

Mar 29, 2018
UK, North West, Lancashire
Parrots
Sherbert (Male Cockateil, Grey with Emerald/Olive),
Moth (Female Budgerigar, Pied),
Melia (Female Budgerigar, Dilute)
These look and sound really good.
I'm going to have to find a teflon-free muffin pan and bird safe cupcake papers because I think something like this would go down very well with my own birds.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Oh my...now I'm itching to start baking as well!!
(and as a rule I *hate* cooking)

You are quite the inspirational force!

=

mssge from the parrots: they want both!
chop and muffins
(wow, no surprise there!)
but maybe muffins more ...

kozykitty

Dec 29, 2015
Columbia, Maryland
Parrots
Gloria, BFA, adopted on Jan. 9, 2016 when she was 30 years old
. Her mom went to a nursing home.
Also have 2 cats (Rangerand Luna) and a 24 year old aquatic turtle, named Elvis.
I've been sneaking veggies into tortilla strips. My BFA likes crunchy stuff. I make our family tortillas with just corn masa and water but I save enough dough for a couple for Gloria. I mix in some grains (amaranth, quinoa, chia, flax, buckwheat etc) and sometimes mashed sweet potato or other pulverized veggies. I flatten in a tortilla press, throw it on my cast iron griddle for a minute on each side then cut into little strips. I bake those in the oven for about 10 minutes until hard. She loves them. Sometimes she'll have them as nachos with mashed black bean.

kozykitty

Dec 29, 2015
Columbia, Maryland
Parrots
Gloria, BFA, adopted on Jan. 9, 2016 when she was 30 years old
. Her mom went to a nursing home.
Also have 2 cats (Rangerand Luna) and a 24 year old aquatic turtle, named Elvis.
These look and sound really good.
I'm going to have to find a teflon-free muffin pan and bird safe cupcake papers because I think something like this would go down very well with my own birds.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Get silicone muffin pans! You won't need cupcake papers for those. They're easy to store too. Completely nonstick.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Ok then, I am the self-proclaimed Muffin Man :D I just spent the last four hours cutting and chopping and mixing a big bowl of muffin mix,and just put two pan's in the oven to bake,probably have enough mix for another two pans lol (12 muff's to a pan).
I've tried chop before. Make a bunch,spoon enough into freezer bags (usually enough for four servings..brekky and dinner for two days).
I found that when I pulled a bag out of the freezer and put it into the 'fridge to dethaw,by the time it's ready,there is a ton of moisture/water and everything seems way soggy:(, not enticing to me.
So I went with muffins..bake 'em right up,in bags to the freezer,pull a muffin or two out to thaw over night then nuke for thirty seconds ( the fid's like their food warm ;)) and the stuff is still kind of crunchy (at least NOT soupy!)

I wont rehash on the ingredience, but there is all sorts of stuff from fruits and veggies to other stuff :p
I

Jim

Very nice 👍🏻 and I thought Levi was spoiled 😄
I’ve made him muffins in the past he wasn’t crazy about them.
I was planning on making corn muffins today. He’ll probably like them as he’s a huge corn 🌽 lover.

Most Reactions

Latest posts