Mustache Parakeet - Bragging

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
Lol, like I said, just wanted to brag with my boy a bit! Milo is turning 5 in august. And what a stunning bird to be owned by!

Besides being extremely intelligent, talkative and lovable, he has an incredible personality.

I got him as a 5 week old hand reared baby, as big as a cigarette box, now fully grown and with full coloring. He takes showers in the shower, on a little perch, and when cold then gets blowed dry with the hairdryer. Loves it! Lifts his wings so I can reach everywhere, lol.

His wings are clipped, so every now and again he gets to go with to the shop, sitting on my headrest chatting away all the way to the shop, when we stop there, he proclaims "milo come", just to make sure he does not get left behind. In the shop he assumes that everything in the store is his by saying "Milo taste"!

When he does something he knows is naughty, he will bite at it, then go "huh-uh" before doing it again, while eyeing me, lol. He gives high fives, does 360's, headbobs and give kisses on command.

He also knows very well how to manipulate his mom, waiting until I sit down, then start with "gimme a kiss" until I get up and comply!

When I show him something he looks at where I am pointing, then ask "What is it?" I will then explain, which I am sure are just noises to him, but he will reply "you see?"

Although he does not like head scratches, he loves being handled and comes running to be picked up.

In a nutshell, awesome bird to have, would recommend getting one 100%, but you have to put in the time and attention!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Congrats on raising your bird into what sounds like a intelligent and lovely little companion:) Sounds as though Milo is most spoiled and loved!

IRNMom

Jun 16, 2014
New Britain, CT
Parrots
KissKiss, Indian Ringneck
Lolo, Cockatiel
Petri, Love bird
Scooter, Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure
After reading your post, I just want to hug the little guy! You should brag, that's a great bird you have!

OP
miloslave

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
Thanks, I love him to bits! I tried to upload a pic, but it does not want to let me lol, so I uploaded pics in an album under my profile.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Milo sounds like a real little character :) I bet he's really gorgeous in adult colors.

I used to see many Mustache parakeets around 20 years ago (probably wild caughts) but nowdays you don't see them very often at all!

OP
miloslave

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
You see, that is exactly it, I dont think people knows what wonderful pets they make. Milo gives his natural squawky call twice a day, when I wake him up in the morning, and when I walk in the door at night, just to say hello, where the hell have you been? Lol. Then he switches over to talking again.

He is such a sweety pie, a very calm and dignified little gentleman. I think that is why they dont like head scratches, you are messing up their hairdo, lol. Also dont do lying on his back for that matter, it is beneath him, lol.

When at the shops little children goes insane, and he will easily sit on their arm, but just for a moment, then he wants back to mommy.

I hope this information helps prospective owners of this species of bird. Any other mustache parrot owners, please give your input as well as to how you find yours to be?

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I just finished a contract which the lady I worked with whom has a Mustache parakeet named Zorro. She had a picture of him on her desk so that opened up discussions of her Zorro and my RFM Valentino. We spend some time swapping parrot stories.

She got Zorro over 15 years ago and had finished hand feeding him. He is bonded to both her and her husband but thinks her 4 and 1 year olds are beneath him. He loves to take showers and enjoys eating "people food". His diet includes fresh foods and pellets. I am not sure the life span of them but she did say he is very healthy and has a lot of energy. This is probably because she takes very good care of him.

She did mention that Zorro can be skittish with people he does not know and with her daughters. He will calm down when put in the bathroom with the exhaust fan running. He does not really fly well but he is an excellent climber. He will climb up the curtains, up the stairs, up furniture to find and be with his people.

She spoke very highly of him and considers him part of her family.

OP
miloslave

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
Lol, I find Milo displaying the same tipe of attitude with my 2 budgies. As if they are somewhat beneath him, lol. I also find him to be a very healthy bird, actually a lot more so than Houdini, the one budgie, who has been in and out of hospital, and on antibiotics every now and again. To accomodate the monetary differences, lets just say I could have bought 60 other budgies with what it has cos to keep him alive. In that respect, I must say I am very glad Milo is a much healthier bird, lol.

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
Congratulations, I'm very jealous xD
I've always wanted to see a mustache parakeet in person

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Oh my goodness...he's beautiful! And you have certainly raised him right to be that happy! (your budgies are adorable also!)

Most Reactions