my andrew baby

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
birdbrainzz4me-albums-long-lost-feathered-children-picture6623-andrew-black-palm-i-helped-wean.jpg

i didn't know exactly were i should post this thread, so i decided to put it here. this is the picture of the black palm baby i helped raise when i worked for our former bird breeder. i know i told a few of the flock members that i would post a picture of him, granted they were older pictures and on the darker side. i had to take pictures of the pictures because i don't have a scanner, lol but any ways i thought i would tell our story.

so it was about 10 to 11 years ago, that my mom and i had decided that we were going to get ourselves an eclectus. she wanted a male and i wanted a female. we had found barb in a bird talk magazine and called her up to see if she had any babies available. at the time she didn't but we agree'd to be put on a waiting list, and she invited us to come visit the aviary so she could get to know us some more. barb would have visitations for all the people who already had birds from her or future bird parents like us to come and visit with the each other and our birds. we also went to every one of the visitations. to make a long story short, my moms ekkie hatched first and i was still second on the waiting list. andrew hatched around the same time tucker hatched so while my mom went to visit tucker, i watched andrew grow to be a big black palm cockatoo. then to my surprise barb had asked me if i would like to feed andrew, he was in the later stages of weaning , and she starts feeding them with spoons instead of syringes. so i was sooooo excited to help out. just because it was hand feeding. and now i had a buddy while my mom had tucker. time had passed and mine and andrews love for each other grew so strong for each other. barb had a horse shoe drive way that the bay window over looked. andrew's java tree stand sat in the window and he eventually learned what our van looked like. and just like clock work every time we came over i could see his buzzard butt, flutter to the floor to meet me at the door. we would walk in, and he would hitch a ride on my shoe to the sink so i could wash my hands before i held him. didn't make very much sense to me because the shoe's are gonna have more germs then my hands but there was no stopping andrew from being with me. barb wanted me to have andrew instead of a eclectus so bad because it was so obvious to mom, dad, and barb that he should be with me. the only down fall was that we could never in a million years be able to afford to get him. she even said she would sell him to me for half price and my mom still said no. i wish she would have said yes. eventually a woman from south carolina i believe sent barb a deposit on andrew. this was one of the saddest days i have ever had. so i got in as much time with andrew as i possibly could. our last day together was the the hardest day for me. i never wanted it to end. it was getting late and i had school the next day so i had to say goodbye for the last time. i gave andrew a big hug , crying my eyes out, told him that he was going to have another mommy, and she's going to be just as good to him. so he needs to be a good boy for me. he rested his big beak on my shoulder and pushed himself up to me as if he was giving me a hug back. i feel he knew , and understood how i felt and wanted me to be happy. so i gave him a kiss on his rosy red cheeks and took every thing i had to leave with out making the most depressing scene i think anybody could ever see. i still cry to this day even now writing this story because i still love him so much and i hope he has a good life and every thing he could ever dream of. some where out there i know andrew is, the woman renamed him casper, but he will always be andrew to me. i just hope he's doing fine... im sorry this is such a sad story but this is our story, love stories don't always have happy endings.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
What a sad story. I am so sorry that had to happen to you but hopefully he has a happy life. Some animals make such an impact on you you never forget them or stop loving them you just learn to live without them. Hugs to you and thanks for sharing

OP
birdbrainzz4me

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
thank you aliray, you are very right, i have learned to live with out andrew, but there is never a time that i don't wonder how he is or what he's up to. because of him, i have a dream of having a black palm sanctuary, but im sure there won't be just black palms either. i love all birds. but i would love to specialize in them. kinda like the Jane Goodall of black palm cockatoos. he truly made a big impact on my life. if i ever have the chance to get a bpc, im going to jump at that chance with every thing i've got.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
That sounds like a really good plan. Mabey you could get in:)

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
Sorry most of what I posted didn't print. Are there any Breeders in the US that breed them? Or have you given thought to breeding them yourself? Or planning your education to make it possible to move to where they are native and work in a conservation program? Just food for thought.:)

OP
birdbrainzz4me

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
i wouldn't even know were to start, or how to start. is there sanctuaries already? i never looked for any. i probably should do that, huh ;) but it takes so much money also, and that is something i don't have.

OP
birdbrainzz4me

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
sorry didn't see the second post, there are breeders in the us, i have thought of breeding them myself. but hopefully i can contact people in conservations from australia on what they know about them. going there myself is a big leap for me, leaving my family behind is hard to even think about, let alone do. plus my animal children. i don't know if i could do that. maybe if i didn't have very much here, but i do have so much i don't want to leave behind, even though i will be coming back but how long would i be there. it's a scary thought.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
I understand However if there are people that breed in this country, gonna have to google it. Then I suggest you start saving to eventually buy one that will be with you for the rest of your life. And scratch that about moving out of the country because of all the quarrentine restrictions when trying to take pets oversees. I am 66 and have had pets since I was old enough to catch anything that didn't run faster or bite back too hard. My mother growing up would never allow me to have a dog because she worked all day and did not think it was fair to a dog . How ever the people next door had a tri colored collie who had her own family of kids but they ignored her or tried to ride her like a pony . They rehomed her and I never saw her again. I was heartbroken and she still has a special place in my heart no matter how many other pets that I have had and loved. Even now I still tear up when I allow myself to think about her too much .So I understand exactly how you feel.

OP
birdbrainzz4me

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
yea i forgot about the import laws on birds and other exotics. but from what i know i could be looking at 30,000 for a pair. but there's no telling if they are proven or not until they actually have a fertile egg. plus on top of that im not to sure if they are monogamous or not. so i could get a pair but then they don't like each other, so then i'll have to find more mates until one works out. i'd have to take out a home loan to get started. but i have come across a couple bp2's for $400 . this didn't seem right to me, knowing how expensive they are, but i also thought maybe due to the economy the people were having a hard time selling them. it seemed kinda off so i didn't contact them. plus i am not even close to being ready for anything yet. i believe our animals go to the same places we do when we pass, so im sure that dog could be with you in spirit you never know. if you believe in that sort of thing. i know they never forget when someone reaches out to them, like you did the collie.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Just putting in my 2 cents....Black Palm Toos are terrific birds! I've never owned one, but, have known 2. Both were much calmer, and less neurotic, than white toos. Such beautiful birds. I've always wanted one, too.:):(

OP
birdbrainzz4me

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
thanks bill, i have also heard the same about them being less neurotic. and from what i have experienced they aren't loud either. besides andrew there were three other chicks that were hatched soon after he was, and barb also had her own personal bp2 she named velvet. and i don't think i have ever heard that bird make one sound. from what i can tell, they are quite comfortable being solitary and in quiet places. and to me that makes sense because why have dark plumage in the wild if you're going to be loud and noisy. i think an animals texture and pattern is a great deal of how they survive in the wild. so bp2's probably like to hide in dark quiet places to nest. were they feel more comfortable.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
What a heart breaking story...

Do you still have the eclectus parrots?

OP
birdbrainzz4me

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
no, i had to rehome them due to living situations. i moved out on my own when i was 18 and been living on my own since. at the time i was in an apartment working two jobs just so i could survive. and because i was not home as much as i usually was, they were very upset with me. and it broke my heart that they were dealing with that so i wanted what was best for them and rehomed them to some one who was able to give them more time that they so much deserved. i still think about them also and how they are doing. i have lost alot of things in life , but i still learn to roll with the punches. now that i am in a much more stable place and i have lots of time, i wish i didn't, but there is nothing i can do about that, but i am searching and planning to get a gw macaw, i miss the big big bird interaction that i had with andrew and thats why i chose a gw because they share the same gentle giant personas that the bp2's have. and they don't cost as much. the price of a gw is more doable for me right now.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Heather, thank you thank you thank you for sharing this most heartwarming story with your beloved Andrew. AND for sharing the precious picture. The feelings and bond you had with each other is amazing. Your story brought tears into my eyes, and I know if made you go through ALL the emotions you felt the day you had to say good-bye to him all over again. :( HUGS!!!

OP
birdbrainzz4me

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
thank you wendy. :) it was definitely a hard story to write but when i think about the good times we had together, that's what cheers me up. and i so very much look forward to finding my new parrot child that i can share that bond with once again. i miss being looked up to as a flock parent like they did to me. it's truly a different kind of relationship. one would have to experience themselves to understand. and that is one of the greatest things about the forums here. just about all of the birdie parents here know just what i am talking about.

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
reading your story and that of others about the bp2's makes me feel blessed to live here in north qld australia where they are in abundance. although in saying that it is rare to see them, it is said when you see them that rain is coming and the amount you see is how many days rain you will get. when they are out and they can be quite noisy but its more of a chetering in comparison to white 2's squawk.
ur story was so heart warming, and i wish you all the best in ur future bird endeavours. u will have that bond again.

OP
birdbrainzz4me

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
thank you gemini. i have to agree that you are very lucky to live were you do. if you ever get a chance to get some pictures of the bp2's i would love to see them. i have also been looking for stories of other bp2's, maybe you could help me. i like reading others stories about their birds. especially with the macaws, because i am looking into getting a gw. i like to read as much as i can, and watch as many videos as possible too. they always warm the soul.

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Hey Heather. Your story about Andrew is touching beyond words! I've always loved BP2's as well. Before I got Zaf, I'd always dreamed of having a Hy in my life but I'd also dreamed of perhaps acquiring a BP2 (either in addition or instead). They are magnificent birds!!! Thinking of your story and your forced separation from Andrew makes me so sad :(.

I'm sure you'll find a new and amazing bird with which to develop a tremendous bond sometime soon :).

OP
birdbrainzz4me

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
thank you :) before i even got the ekkies and met andrew, my dream bird was actually a m2. i had met a male m2 in a pet store when i was around 10 or 11. and he was the most sweetest bird ever! nicer than my aunts ag's! plus i was just captivated by his feathers and the beautiful pink hue they had. plus they have the most adorable faces ever. not having the internet at the time, i had not a clue about how they have the velcro bird reputation. i eventually later researched them first before i got the ekkies. and i ran into a man at a different pet store while i was playing with a baby b&g and he started talking to me about the bird. and when i told him that i wanted a m2 he said i should look into the ekkies. they were better for a beginner. and thats how i started my search for them.

Most Reactions