My bird is depressed

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Bluberry - Female Parakeet
Mr. Squiggles - Male Parakeet
Hello, I have a female budgie, Her cage is pretty large, I provide her with loads of toys and perches, and a bathtub. She won't bathe, and she will sleep in one spot ALL DAY LONG. She does not grind her beak, she shows no signs of happiness. At this time I cannot afford to get another bird. I did rescue her from outside, and she flew freely, She is not clipped. What do I do?

Attachments

• IMG_2086.jpg
    IMG_2086.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 82
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Hello, I have a female budgie, Her cage is pretty large, I provide her with loads of toys and perches, and a bathtub. She won't bathe, and she will sleep in one spot ALL DAY LONG. She does not grind her beak, she shows no signs of happiness. At this time I cannot afford to get another bird. I did rescue her from outside, and she flew freely, She is not clipped. What do I do?
Aww, I'm so sorry! There's a really great channel on YouTube tht has parrot TV with lots of different backround music, maybe try that? I think it's just called Parrot TV.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Iv'e tried that, but all she does is fall to the bottom of the cage, she goes frantically flying around the house looking for the birds.
Pepper has neurological issues that cause him to fall sometimes. I really would see the vet.

OP
Bluberrytheparakeet

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
She falls because of the noise, not due to issues. I have taken her to the vet at LEAST 8 times... I have gotten tests ran on her, and done everything I can to figure this out, but it does not seem to be proving it's self as a realistic thing. I am just at a standstill on what to do...

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
She falls because of the noise, not due to issues. I have taken her to the vet at LEAST 8 times... I have gotten tests ran on her, and done everything I can to figure this out, but it does not seem to be proving it's self as a realistic thing. I am just at a standstill on what to do...
Question, and I'm not trying to sound rude, just curious:
If you can afford the vet, why cn't you afford a $25 (possibly less) budgie? I think it's really important for her to hve a friend right now, depression kills. There's probably some budgies looking for a home on Craigslist or PetFinder if you don't want to buy one.

I really don't want to sound rude, I just want o help you and your baby, so I'm sorry if it comes off that way!

OP
Bluberrytheparakeet

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
oh, your not being rude, your just being honest lol! It is not that I cannot afford a $25 bird at the pet store, It is that I do not have enough money in the long run to keep 2 birds ATM. please also keep in mind that I am a student, and have limited time. I have JUST enough time to spend with her, but she will not come out of her cage.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
oh, your not being rude, your just being honest lol! It is not that I cannot afford a $25 bird at the pet store, It is that I do not have enough money in the long run to keep 2 birds ATM. please also keep in mind that I am a student, and have limited time. I have JUST enough time to spend with her, but she will not come out of her cage.
I mean, the only thing I can think of is rehoming (if you want her to be round other budgies). Even if you can't get her out of the cage, why don't you interact with her in the cage?

OP
Bluberrytheparakeet

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
I try, she is on pellets, so I try and offer her spray millet but she likes it if I am not giving it to her. All I get is bite, bite, bite, bite.....

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Right, persistance is always needed with any parrot, and budgies can be really stubborn.

Dozi

Apr 3, 2022
England
Parrots
Cockatiels:
- D'ion
- Bobbi
- Milo
- Chui
- Astro (Coming soon!)

Conures:
- Omei
What do you mean when you say that you rescued her from outside?

Skarila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year πŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Our little budgie is also rescued from outside, basically was found when she was on verge of death... For how long do you have the little girl?

Our budgie was TERRIFIED of everything for good 3 years. took her 6 months to even make a peep. she was shook quite a lot. We could never tame her, only after 5 years she started showing signs that she wishes to interact with us. Not all birds can be tamed, and that's ok. While it took me a week for a fully wild conure to step onto my hand, it took us 5 years to get Csilli (the budgie) get onto our shoulder. Just a little comparison.

Also I understand that the costs of 2 budgies can be more difficult than having just one - another vet costs, another cage, another this and another that, and double time for them if they don't get along. If the bird is still very anxious perhaps rehoming to an already established budgie flock would be the way to go. And don't feel bad about it - most importantly is you wanting the best for the little birdie. I also rehomed two of the birds we found/rescued, even my life long friend because of so many issues and i just wanted the best for everyone.

I wish you good luck with the whole ordeal!

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Aww, I'm so sorry! There's a really great channel on YouTube tht has parrot TV with lots of different backround music, maybe try that? I think it's just called Parrot TV.
I googled - I think you meant Parrot Town TV ;) Parrot TV was an English version of a Polish channel about parrots πŸ˜› And I don't recommend them. They scammed me.

What do you mean when you say that you rescued her from outside?
I understand it as caught outside?
If so, I had such budgie too.
How long do you have? Maybe it's the matter of time because now she is so scared because of the of environment?
Unfortunately I don't remember if Romek (our rescued outside budgie) was ok with the new home from the beginning. I think that he started being happy soon after moving, just with a big fear of people which stayed with him to his last days.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Who did and how?
It's something unfamiliar to you because it's about Polish law
On one video they say that mutation parrots don't have to be registered (only wild type birds) but it doesn't work so in Poland. I was so confused and during buying Zenek at their shop we asked if he has to be registered and they said no:mad:

OP
Bluberrytheparakeet

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
By rescued outside, I mean that I had seen her fly around for months, and then one day adventrous little me decided to go outside with a cat carrier, and watch her fly into a nesting box... Then at 6:07 PM on a saturday, warm evening, with PINK clouds, I DASHED over to the nesting box in the neighbor's yard, put the cat carrier in front of the nesting box, pulled the key out of the box, and BAM! she went flying out! I shut the door quickly, placed her on the ground, then sobbed right there and then about how scared she looked, and how selfish of myself to do this to her, but I *knew* it would be best for her. I am wondering if I made the right decision for her... I got her June 21st, the DAY of summer.

So yea! I was overjoyed, devestated and scared at the same time when I cried like a baby on the grass. I am really wondering if she was happier (better) outside.. not for her like bodily safetyness but for her mental health and also she had a mate... it was a mourning dove. but ill post abt that later

Most Reactions

Latest posts