Cockatiels:
- D'ion
- Bobbi
- Milo
- Chui
- Astro (Coming soon!)

Conures:
- Omei
By rescued outside, I mean that I had seen her fly around for months, and then one day adventrous little me decided to go outside with a cat carrier, and watch her fly into a nesting box... Then at 6:07 PM on a saturday, warm evening, with PINK clouds, I DASHED over to the nesting box in the neighbor's yard, put the cat carrier in front of the nesting box, pulled the key out of the box, and BAM! she went flying out! I shut the door quickly, placed her on the ground, then sobbed right there and then about how scared she looked, and how selfish of myself to do this to her, but I *knew* it would be best for her. I am wondering if I made the right decision for her... I got her June 21st, the DAY of summer.

So yea! I was overjoyed, devestated and scared at the same time when I cried like a baby on the grass. I am really wondering if she was happier (better) outside.. not for her like bodily safetyness but for her mental health and also she had a mate... it was a mourning dove. but ill post abt that later
Is she not native to your country, then? Did you try sending out an alert for anybody who had lost their budgie?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
She really needs a friend. If you cannot provide this for her please think about responsibly re-homing her to someone who has lots of knowledge and other budgies :)
I agree with this. She really needs a friend, and she may die of depression if she doesn't get one...

Not trying to be harsh, but if you can't afford another budgie, you should responsibly rehome her to someone else who can provide her with a friend.

OP
Bluberrytheparakeet

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Bluberry - Female Parakeet
Mr. Squiggles - Male Parakeet
No, she is not native to my part of florida. I have sent out AT LEAST 20 alerts on different sites- INCLUDING this site, about her. nobody here is being harsh, everyone is just being real.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I don’t understand how two budgies are much more costly than one. The reason my parents let me have them when I was a kid was because they’re not very expensive. Unless it’s that you are not allowed to go to a pet store and buy another bird….

My Quaker was allowed to fly around a house before he came to me. He has been here a year and a half and he’s still afraid of many things and usually very quiet. It takes time for them to get over being nervous. A watchful bird is a bird that doesn’t get eaten.

OP
Bluberrytheparakeet

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Let me just clear this up...The issue is the food all over the floor, vet bills (which are nessasary for proper ownership), the cost of food, water and toys, the time is also a major issue (sometimes I do homework from 3pm-when i get out of school- until 9pm-bedtime- and no I cannot do homework with her because she is a distraction as I have ADD and ADHD. so those are just the main problems. the cost is like 5% of why I can't afford to take care of 2 birds.

So in conclusion I can't afford to TAKE CARE OF 2 birds, not buy another bird as buying another bird is only like $40.... I also do not re-home pets as when you buy or adopt an animal, you are committing to taking care of them for their lives. My mom will not re-home her, I do believe that it is best to re-home her into a family that has a lone bird needing a friend, but it is just "against the morals" according to my mother. So the only real thing we can do here is if you all have found ways to keep cages miraculously clean, like any nets that work well or stuff, can you please link them? I am trying my best to do whatever I can and I am stuck in a position that I have almost no way out of.... I can handle the money part of getting things cleaned, like purchasing nets for catching food if they are reasonably priced, it's just I need help because I cannot re-home her, and I don't want that to cost bluberry her life.

I wish I could just tell Bluberry what was going on! I need a miracle!

Also, is 37 grams good for a female budgie?

Last edited:
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Let me just clear this up...The issue is the food all over the floor, vet bills (which are nessasary for proper ownership), the cost of food, water and toys, the time is also a major issue (sometimes I do homework from 3pm-when i get out of school- until 9pm-bedtime- and no I cannot do homework with her because she is a distraction as I have ADD and ADHD. so those are just the main problems. the cost is like 5% of why I can't afford to take care of 2 birds.

So in conclusion I can't afford to TAKE CARE OF 2 birds, not buy another bird as buying another bird is only like $40.... I also do not re-home pets as when you buy or adopt an animal, you are committing to taking care of them for their lives. My mom will not re-home her, I do believe that it is best to re-home her into a family that has a lone bird needing a friend, but it is just "against the morals" according to my mother. So the only real thing we can do here is if you all have found ways to keep cages miraculously clean, like any nets that work well or stuff, can you please link them? I am trying my best to do whatever I can and I am stuck in a position that I have almost no way out of.... I can handle the money part of getting things cleaned, like purchasing nets for catching food if they are reasonably priced, it's just I need help because I cannot re-home her, and I don't want that to cost bluberry her life.

My question for you is this:
Why can't you get another budgie? You don't have to spend time with both of them, they don't need to go to the vet unless they're sick, you can make toys, and they can share food/water bowls.

Last edited:
OP
Bluberrytheparakeet

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Honestly, if I were in your situation, I'd release her. It's not a good idea, but at least she'll have the sky and other birds...

Why can't you get another budgie? You don't have to spend time with both of them, they don't need to go to the vet unless they're sick, you can make toys, and they can share food/water bowls.
The food and water bowls are not the issue, its the food that has to go IN the bowl that is the issue. I simply can barely afford to buy the pellets, and due to school, I don't have unlimited time to spend on chores to make money. It was $73.48 for Bluberry's annual vet visit, I had to pay that out of pocket, and they are the ONLY avian certified vet within 5 hours of me. I can make toys, but again the toys are not the issue it's the supplies that go INTO making the toys. It's a financial issue for me. My mom refuses to help me financially with the bird as I may have (at the beginning) agreed to pay for everything.

Again on the food part, I feed her Zupreem Pellets, I acidentally bought the cockatiel ones, and my mom wouldn't take me back to return them, so she is eating food too big for her.

On the vet visit, If I payed $73.48 for one bird in 2022, what would I pay for 2 birds in 2023?!! Inflation.
That is $146.80!!! I can't afford that!

So you see, the issue here (like I said already) is NOT the bird, it is The lifespan commitment and the expense of owning a parrot.

I feel like I am not being able to explain what I am trying to tell you all clearly enough 😭πŸ₯ΊπŸ˜¦

Please if you have questions, list the questions in like question form. I know I may be sounding sarcastic or rude, Im not trying to, I have ADD and ADHD, and sometime implied questions don't register if that makes sense..

As a 7th grader managing my finances is already hard enough as well as toppling another LIFE that I am responsible for. I am getting a one 12 millionth of a piece of parenting, so to all the mothers out there (to human childs, bird and animals- although humans are an animal.. but this is not a science class) I thank you.

If you hav eany suggestions on how to cut the budget while feeding her properly please LMK.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Honestly, if I were in your situation, I'd release her. It's not a good idea, but at least she'll have the sky and other birds...

Please do not suggest to other members to release their non-native parrots into the wild here in the US. In addition to being harmful for the bird it’s very, very illegal. There have also been over sixty cases of avian flu in the state of Florida this year.

Blueberry, I am terribly sorry to hear you are struggling. Parrots are indeed expensive, and it was really kind of you to take her in when you found her outside like that. Sometimes people become overwhelmed with their pets and then release them without a thought as to how they will survive in the wild. It’s fortunate for Blueberry that she was able to do fine and make it on her own, but that is often not the case.

Budgies do tend to prefer companionship of other parrots rather than people, but if your mom won’t let you get a second parrot there is not a lot you can do on that front. You are correct in assuming a second parrot would be double - or more! Of the cost.

If the pellets are too big for Blueberry I have a really easy fix for you! Put some in a ziploc bag and take a rolling pin or glass and crush them. Little parrots tend to love crumbles and it’s really easy for them to eat. You can mix the crushed food with non crushed pellet if you aren’t sure she will go for it, but that should help and then you won’t have to worry too much about the size!

I apologize if I missed it, but how long has Blueberry been with you? Sometimes they take a long time to come around! Have you tried playing quiet music for her, or baby cartoons? I don’t mean kids cartoons, I specifically mean stuff for babies - usually they have soothing soundtracks and the visuals aren’t as jarring.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
To get her to play - try hiding millet in some of her toys, or attaching millet to the toys. You can also try putting some millet outside of her cage around the room she is in, and see if maybe that will encourage her to explore the room; exercise is also a form of stimulation! It doesn’t have to be far either; just a few inches outside the door of her cage would be huge progress!

If she goes out of the cage and you need her back in - millet works wonders for that too.

I have had much more success with getting birds to step up onto a dowel perch before ever approaching with my hand. Again, food is key. With a little guy like a budgie you can use a chopstick.

My cockatiel would do almost anything for millet. Early on he was a bit nervous too, so I leaned heavily into bribery. Thankfully millet is also relatively inexpensive!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I apologize if I missed it, but how long has Blueberry been with you? Sometimes they take a long time to come around! Have you tried playing quiet music for her, or baby cartoons? I don’t mean kids cartoons, I specifically mean stuff for babies - usually they have soothing soundtracks and the visuals aren’t as jarring.
That’s what I was trying to say. My Willow was flying around someone’s home, not handled, not tame. It’s taken almost two years for him to stop watching everything and start accepting toys. He’s still scared of anything new and he’s still quiet most of the time. I’ve asked how to get him to play with toys as his life seems boring to me. This sounds like Blueberry.

If blueberry was outdoors, she’s probably still expecting something to try to eat her. That’s part of why she’s quiet. It will take some time for her to relax and realize no one is going to eat her. I would first, just work on talking pleasantly to blueberry and getting her to accept treats from your hand. This will help her understand she’s safe.

I don’t necessarily think you MUST buy blueberry a friend. I’m sorry this is so upsetting and I think you can just work on making her life better. Part of that is just waiting for her to feel safe.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
A lot of members here, myself included, have found success in reading aloud to their birds in order to get them used to their presence. Just whatever book you happen to be reading! Or you could talk through your homework with them.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~

According to the internet 37 grams is fine, perhaps even on the larger side, for a budgie. However, parrot weight is more about mass and body feel than a number on the scale. Your vet will have probably felt her breast and extremities to determine if she’s ideal weight; usually they rank it on a scale of 1-9, where 5/9 is ideal. If you aren’t sure what they thought you should be able to call their office and ask without needing to bring her in again.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
A lot of members here, myself included, have found success in reading aloud to their birds in order to get them used to their presence. Just whatever book you happen to be reading! Or you could talk through your homework with them.
For reading to my birds, I have books like β€œthe bird abc book” and β€œBeautiful Yetta the Yiddish Chicken” which is a story about a chicken who lives with wild parakeets in New York (I think). There are also the Fonzie books, like β€œEat With My Feet” (about Fonzie the Quaker parakeet).

I had a Quaker who talked a lot and would repeat words from the stories. Like, for example, β€œbird”. I read her things that used the words she knew, like β€œbird” and β€œgood” and β€œout”. I am sure that you could read your homework to Blueberry, too. She just needs company and time.

P.s. I am sorry that you felt I was judging you. That wasn’t my intent.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Please do not suggest to other members to release their non-native parrots into the wild here in the US. In addition to being harmful for the bird it’s very, very illegal. There have also been over sixty cases of avian flu in the state of Florida this year.

Blueberry, I am terribly sorry to hear you are struggling. Parrots are indeed expensive, and it was really kind of you to take her in when you found her outside like that. Sometimes people become overwhelmed with their pets and then release them without a thought as to how they will survive in the wild. It’s fortunate for Blueberry that she was able to do fine and make it on her own, but that is often not the case.

Budgies do tend to prefer companionship of other parrots rather than people, but if your mom won’t let you get a second parrot there is not a lot you can do on that front. You are correct in assuming a second parrot would be double - or more! Of the cost.

If the pellets are too big for Blueberry I have a really easy fix for you! Put some in a ziploc bag and take a rolling pin or glass and crush them. Little parrots tend to love crumbles and it’s really easy for them to eat. You can mix the crushed food with non crushed pellet if you aren’t sure she will go for it, but that should help and then you won’t have to worry too much about the size!

True, umm... I don't know why I said that, it wasn't helpful, I wasn't suggesting it, and I'm sorry. I'll edit that post!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
According to the internet 37 grams is fine, perhaps even on the larger side, for a budgie. However, parrot weight is more about mass and body feel than a number on the scale. Your vet will have probably felt her breast and extremities to determine if she’s ideal weight; usually they rank it on a scale of 1-9, where 5/9 is ideal. If you aren’t sure what they thought you should be able to call their office and ask without needing to bring her in again.
I wouldn't agree that it's on the larger side. All budgies have their own normal weight. Picasso, for example, is 38-40 grams normally, while Pepper, who is the same size, is usually 28. Neither of them are unhealthy (vet confirmed). Unless your budgie is too fat/skinny, there is no reason to do anything (such as changing diet, proportions, etc.).

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I wouldn't agree that it's on the larger side. All budgies have their own normal weight. Picasso, for example, is 38-40 grams normally, while Pepper, who is the same size, is usually 28. Neither of them are unhealthy (vet confirmed). Unless your budgie is too fat/skinny, there is no reason to do anything (such as changing diet, proportions, etc.).
That’s exactly what I am saying - I googled (hence according to the internet) and the range it gave for budgies was up to 35g. However, healthy weight for a parrot is more about body shape - which is exactly what I said. They asked if 37 was ok and I assume they got that weight from their vet, and that’s probably the best person for them to follow up with. You will note that I did not suggest diet changes (other than possibly crumbing the pellets if they are worried their bird doesn’t find the larger size palatable).

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
That’s exactly what I am saying - I googled (hence according to the internet) and the range it gave for budgies was up to 35g. However, healthy weight for a parrot is more about body shape - which is exactly what I said. They asked if 37 was ok and I assume they got that weight from their vet, and that’s probably the best person for them to follow up with. You will note that I did not suggest diet changes (other than possibly crumbing the pellets if they are worried their bird doesn’t find the larger size palatable).
Never said you suggested that 37 grams was the best weight, just putting that out there, as a certain popular parrot YouTube channel (and other sources) likes to promote restraining food if our budgie is over 33 grams (I think?). A novice budgie owner may not understand that.

And maybe I didn't understand you correctly? I'm not sure, but please tell me if I did :)

OP
Bluberrytheparakeet

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Hello! Looks like iv'e missed quite a bit! I want to let everyone who has already (or will) respond(ed) to me that I am so so greatful for your support!

I definitely would NEVER release her back into the wild. Now if she were being abused that would be a different case. Why would I have went to the trouble of CATCHING a WILD BIRD just to let it go less than a year later.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Hello! Looks like iv'e missed quite a bit! I want to let everyone who has already (or will) respond(ed) to me that I am so so greatful for your support!

I definitely would NEVER release her back into the wild. Now if she were being abused that would be a different case. Why would I have went to the trouble of CATCHING a WILD BIRD just to let it go less than a year later.
So how is she? I really don't understand why your mom won't help pay for her, but won't let you rehome her...

Maybe put budgie videos on for her?

Most Reactions