My budgie doesn't want to eat fruits or vegetables

Cresium

Jan 21, 2021
Hear me out on this, this is not a standard parakeet diet dilemma.

I own two budgies: Kikica :blue2: (female) and Zvrčko :whiteblue: (male).

Every day I make sure to put fruit or vegetables in their cage in order from them to have a varied diet. They especially like apples and carrots.
Zvrčko likes to eat them and I have no problems with him.

However, my budgie Kikica has a "different" approach at "eating".
When she's eating the fruit/vegetable, she bites chunks out of it, and instead of eating it, she throws the chunks all over the cage until she will have eviscerated the entire fruit/vegetable into tiny little pieces. It's as if she's treating food like a chewing toy.

The cage ends up in a big mess of chunks, yet she didn't even eat a single one of them! Not only does Zvrčko get deprived of fruit/vegetables because Kikica chewed it all up into little pieces, she herself doesn't eat any of it!

I found only one solution to this, and that is hand-feeding them with little pieces in order to avoid this, but sometimes she is very stubborn and refuses to eat from my hand.

Have you experienced this problem before? How do you think I should solve it? I'm looking forward to your responses.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Could you pre-chop fruit and veg very finely so that they are no fun to shred?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Leafy green lettuces like romaine, bok chiy, Swiss chard are actually packed with nutrients and vitamins. Budgies love them hung up and will nibble.

Offer bell pepper seeds too,, cucumber slice, zucchini slice, celery with leaves. broccoli occasionally, and cauliflower..There's lots to offer and mine eat everything. Some i hang on stainless steel skewer, or spread out in a shallow wide dish.
Blackberry, cranberry, raspberry, plum, cherry all have better nutrients than apples i think, but some apple is great

OP
C

Cresium

Jan 21, 2021
Leafy green lettuces like romaine, bok chiy, Swiss chard are actually packed with nutrients and vitamins. Budgies love them hung up and will nibble.

Offer bell pepper seeds too,, cucumber slice, zucchini slice, celery with leaves. broccoli occasionally, and cauliflower..There's lots to offer and mine eat everything. Some i hang on stainless steel skewer, or spread out in a shallow wide dish.
Blackberry, cranberry, raspberry, plum, cherry all have better nutrients than apples i think, but some apple is great

I am thankful for offering me a variety of fruit and vegetables. However, this wasn't my problem. My problem was the fact that one of my parakeets treats food like a chewing toy rather than actual food.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
if you steam them (and let them cool) they also would be less fun to shred I would think..

Most Reactions

Latest posts