My budgie won't eat his vegetables!

michaelnmaine

Jan 30, 2023
Brunswick, Maine
Parrots
I have one budgie, "Dudley."
I have a five/six month old male budgie. He's lived with us for over a month. The first week, he got on my index finger once, then hopped off. Since then, no way! He ate some millet out of my hand (standing on my open palm) one time, and now, he won't come near my hand. I feed him millet daily, sometimes twice a day from my fingers, but anything more, he won't come near it.
He has never once touched any of his "toys" or a dish of pellets. He will only eat his seed and drink water. He will "beak" greens, when I put them up to him, but doesn't really eat anything. When I leave them in his cage, he ignores them, same with fruit pieces.
Otherwise, he's chipper and alert (not depressed at all). He will preen in my presence and watched me, seemingly with interest.

I'm just not making any progress with "taming" him and getting him able to socialize outside his cage, play with toys, get more exercise, etc. He's seems smart and healthy, just very wary and "introverted," with a very narrow pallet! Any thoughts? Thanks.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have a five/six month old male budgie. He's lived with us for over a month. The first week, he got on my index finger once, then hopped off. Since then, no way! He ate some millet out of my hand (standing on my open palm) one time, and now, he won't come near my hand. I feed him millet daily, sometimes twice a day from my fingers, but anything more, he won't come near it.
He has never once touched any of his "toys" or a dish of pellets. He will only eat his seed and drink water. He will "beak" greens, when I put them up to him, but doesn't really eat anything. When I leave them in his cage, he ignores them, same with fruit pieces.
Otherwise, he's chipper and alert (not depressed at all). He will preen in my presence and watched me, seemingly with interest.

I'm just not making any progress with "taming" him and getting him able to socialize outside his cage, play with toys, get more exercise, etc. He's seems smart and healthy, just very wary and "introverted," with a very narrow pallet! Any thoughts? Thanks.
Are you SURE your budgie is a male? Please post a photo. Male and female budgies have different personality characteristics but there ate exceptions. Some budgies, more often the females, never seem to warm up to people. If, after another month of trying, your budgie still hasn't made any progress, I would get your male budgie another male budgie as a cage companion. If it's a female and she needs a companion, she may fight with another female, so a male companion would be best. Budgies need social interaction to lead happy healthy lives and I can't bear the thought of a lonely budgie.

OP
michaelnmaine

michaelnmaine

Jan 30, 2023
Brunswick, Maine
Parrots
I have one budgie, "Dudley."
Are you SURE your budgie is a male? Please post a photo. Male and female budgies have different personality characteristics but there ate exceptions. Some budgies, more often the females, never seem to warm up to people. If, after another month of trying, your budgie still hasn't made any progress, I would get your male budgie another male budgie as a cage companion. If it's a female and she needs a companion, she may fight with another female, so a male companion would be best. Budgies need social interaction to lead happy healthy lives and I can't bear the thought of a lonely budgie.
Hi Donna,

Thank you, and I fully agree. I hate for him to just be kept alone in his cage all the time. That's why I want to socialize him and let him spend time on my shoulder or on my desk, as I work, even just sitting on top of his cage playing with toys... (Here's his picture).

As for a feathered companion, won't that diminish his wanting to interact with me? I know that sounds selfish, but isn't that why most of us get budgies (or any companion animal) in the first place, as "companions" and not just "observables." If I wanted that I could have gotten an aquarium. ;)

Sasha new.jpg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi Donna,

Thank you, and I fully agree. I hate for him to just be kept alone in his cage all the time. That's why I want to socialize him and let him spend time on my shoulder or on my desk, as I work, even just sitting on top of his cage playing with toys... (Here's his picture).

As for a feathered companion, won't that diminish his wanting to interact with me? I know that sounds selfish, but isn't that why most of us get budgies (or any companion animal) in the first place, as "companions" and not just "observables." If I wanted that I could have gotten an aquarium. ;)

View attachment 47957
He's a male for sure and as cute as a button! He may be older than six months which does make it harder to tame him. I wouldn't give up and get him a cage buddy yet. I've tamed my male budgies kept solo by leaving his cage door open whenever I'm in the room with him (which has to be a lot- like 6 hours a day in three hour blocks) and sat very close to his cage doing nothing but watch TV or reading or studying. Probably best that this is mostly one on one, not with other people around. Eventually he will come out and investigate you out of curiosity and boredom. Talk to him. Read to him. Doesn't matter what you say. Sing to him and dance for him. Don't stare at him because untamed birds find that threatening. If you do this for a few weeks he should start to respond. Reward him with a bit of millet when he comes to you. Keep a piece of millet next to you to tempt him and lure him out. If, after a couple months he hadn't responded by coming out to visit with you, then consider a cage buddy because it will be very difficult to tame him after you get him a budgie cagemate. Its certainly worth the time you'll need to invest to win him over but I'll bet you succeed. He will get so bored sitting by himself that he won't be able to help himself. Once he does, he will be your buddy for life- that's why I've named lots of my male budgies over the years "Buddy". One even talked- he said "Who's your Buddy" and "Birds can't talk".
When you are not home to hang out with him play the radio or keep the TV on so he can watch people and keep him entertained. Not all budgies like toys- many of mine didn't. In a way that's good- he will need to seek you out for entertainment instead of his toys. Good luck and keep us posted!
I see you're in Maine, too! I'm in Windham. Where are you?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah dont give up yet, budgies can take a long time to warm up to people.
As far as veggies, try different preps; tiny pieces, bigger, chopped, and almost whole. Vary it up. Try laying them out on a paper plate in his cage. Keep at it, bet you one day he will try some.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I agree with trying different methods, mine eat both "chop" and veggie chunks (on a plate or skewered). Hanging wet greens is a great way to get them to try them. A lot of budgies will want to bath in them and that encourages tasting them too, things like herb bunches kale, and carrot greens are great options.
Have you tried eating with him? Some birds like it when you show them how yummy something is! ;)
Also don't be discouraged by limited progress in a month, it has only been one month! One of my boys took a few years before having the confidence to hop on my hand, and it's still only sometimes for him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts