My Double-Yellow-Headed Amazon, Simon needs a new home

Pam Noblitt

Nov 9, 2021
Parrots
Simon (double-yellow-headed Amazon) 35 years old (had him since he was approximately 4 months old)
Hi All,
I have been searching for a site where I could obtain advice about Simon. He was a birthday gift for my 12-year old son. Simon was approximately 4 months old. I hand fed Simon until he was feeding well on his own. His diet has always been composed of nuts, fresh fruits and vegetables, and peanut butter Ritz crackers for treats. When my son left for college, Simon became me responsibility and the truth is, I love him. When our son visited us while in college and since, Simon appeared to have transferred all his affection to me and was aggressive toward my son, so he has no interest in having Simon join his household. Simon is a very healthy, happy bird and very bonded to me. He is now 35 years old and has a life-expectancy of 80+ years. My husband and I are almost 73 years old - thus my concern. Simon will eventually have to be rehomed. I would like to find a willing person near our location in Southern California. I would be happy to provide supplies including two cages, toys, food and treats and two traveling cages. I am very concerned that Simon have a good home where he will be cared for for the rest of his life. Simon has been our only bird. We have had other pets throughout his life and he has never been aggressive with any. We had three kittens/cats who liked to perch on top of his cage with their tails hanging into his cage. Simon never harmed them, but did start to purr. When he is out of his cage, he and our dog seem oblivious to one another and have no problems. On the other hand, our daughter came over with her dog, a Vizsla, a hunting breed, who spent the entire evening pointing at Simon, which aggravated both of them. So as long as the doggy has no hunting instincts, Simon and he will get along. Any advice as to possible placements or where and how to find a suitable home are most welcome. I am very glad to have found this site.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Thanks for all the information! I hope you can find Simon some loving parronts soon!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I wish you good luck in finding Simon a new home. I love DYH amazons ( they however uniformly hate me on sight). Be discriminating in selecting a new owner - there are a myriad of scams out there, for bird flippers or hoarders.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Wishing you find Simon a wonderful addition to his family. It sounds like he is very loved by you

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I don't need another bird.
I don't need another bird.
I REALLY don't need another bird.
Yeah, me neither! (y)
ESPECIALLY not another 'zon.
Also, Pam-have you posted on another platform? This forum is used much less than, say, Facebook.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
When I see this is in my backyard my mind can’t help but think about the possibilities.

if “Simon” was a girl I might be more serious.
Bingo is just a few years older, maybe 37 yo.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Do you have an update?
Still looking for a home?

texsize

HWatson

Dec 12, 2021
Hi my name is Heather my mother is looking for a companion bird. We live in Missouri and she is retired looking for a parrot to keep her company. She has plenty of time and patience for a new friend. thanks for your time and we wish everyone a safe and happy holiday season.

Moderator edit:

If you wish to contact this member, please send a PM to any of the moderators, and we will be happy to forward it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Faisal Salman

Apr 23, 2022
Parrots
amazom- double yellow headed
I'm so happy to hearing your bird Simon's story, and so sweet of how you feel. I would have liked to have it, even if it cost me a sum of money. But I live far from you, I am from the Middle East (Saudi Arabia) 😔.
I hope you succeed in finding the right family for him.
I have a request I wish you would send me a picture of Simon to keep, because Simone is special at this age.

OP
P

Pam Noblitt

Nov 9, 2021
Parrots
Simon (double-yellow-headed Amazon) 35 years old (had him since he was approximately 4 months old)
Thanks to everyone who responded. My niece in Austin, TX, a true animal lover, agreed to adopt Simon. Over my husband's spring break (he's a university professor) we drove from Los Angeles to Austin, 1400 miles, with Simon and our 9 and a half year old insulin dependent rescue pup, Murray. My niece and her three adult children made Simon very welcome and have been keeping us posted about Simon's progress. Although we miss him, we are happy to know he's happy and embraced by my niece and her children, who will always be able to provide Simon with a stable and loving environment.

1650771807644.png

Jun 28, 2022
Parrots
double yellow headed amazon
Hi All,
I have been searching for a site where I could obtain advice about Simon. He was a birthday gift for my 12-year old son. Simon was approximately 4 months old. I hand fed Simon until he was feeding well on his own. His diet has always been composed of nuts, fresh fruits and vegetables, and peanut butter Ritz crackers for treats. When my son left for college, Simon became me responsibility and the truth is, I love him. When our son visited us while in college and since, Simon appeared to have transferred all his affection to me and was aggressive toward my son, so he has no interest in having Simon join his household. Simon is a very healthy, happy bird and very bonded to me. He is now 35 years old and has a life-expectancy of 80+ years. My husband and I are almost 73 years old - thus my concern. Simon will eventually have to be rehomed. I would like to find a willing person near our location in Southern California. I would be happy to provide supplies including two cages, toys, food and treats and two traveling cages. I am very concerned that Simon have a good home where he will be cared for for the rest of his life. Simon has been our only bird. We have had other pets throughout his life and he has never been aggressive with any. We had three kittens/cats who liked to perch on top of his cage with their tails hanging into his cage. Simon never harmed them, but did start to purr. When he is out of his cage, he and our dog seem oblivious to one another and have no problems. On the other hand, our daughter came over with her dog, a Vizsla, a hunting breed, who spent the entire evening pointing at Simon, which aggravated both of them. So as long as the doggy has no hunting instincts, Simon and he will get along. Any advice as to possible placements or where and how to find a suitable home are most welcome. I am very glad to have found this site.
Have you found a home yet?

Most Reactions

Latest posts