My first month with Paco...some short stories

wolfsnaps

Jul 19, 2010
I have a rehomed African grey. I have had her for a month now and she is starting to open up...finally. Her previous home was not an ideal one and she does swear. The only word I have heard is the F word (of course). The previous owner called their boxer a big f^%$er. So I think she might associate large dogs with the F word. She sometimes calls my mastiff a big F'er and I just try to ignore it. I secretly think its hilarious (as does my husband) but I don't want her to know that.

Well, every night when she is tired she tells me goodnight, which is her way of saying, I want peace and quiet now. One night I ignored it and decided to stay up later and she must have been irritated because she belted out "Good NIGHT F^#*ER!" I got the point and shut off the lights and went to bed. I wish oh I wish I got that on tape because I almost peed myself.

She also has no interest in learning. Ok, thats probably not true. But the few times I have tried to play an association game with her, she blows me off. She does a chicken sound. So I say "chicken" and then I do the chicken. Then I wait, ready with treat in hand. Does my highly intelligent parrot do the chicken noise? Noooo. She starts blowing raspberries. Sigh. I try again later with a different one...kisses. She likes to blow kisses, especially when she wants me to pet her beak. So I blow kisses, then I say 'blow kisses' and I blow more kisses...and what does she do? Yup, the raspberries again. I dont know if she just doesnt want to play this game or what but it is amusing. She is definetly in charge!

She also has a short fuse with my larger two dogs. If they are loitering around her cage too long, she puffs up, shrugs her wings, lifts up her foot and says "GO!" in a mans voice.

I am sure the funny things she does are mostly coincedental but sometimes I wonder....anyways, thanks for reading! Even though she is a diva, I love her already :2_smile:

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hey Tiffany, happy to hear things are going in thr right direction with you and Paco, besides the bad language that is....:09:, I have to admit I found it quite humorous, sorry about that, the way I look at it, why should Paco learn anything new when he has you to act nutty and keep him amused ;), loved the update, thanks for sharing..... :)

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Yeah, it' like when little kids curse...it's really kind of funny most of the time. Give her time and when she's more comfortable, I'll bet you have more luck teaching her new things.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Paco sounds adorable. :) I'd say she's intelligent enough to say what she wants when she wants! LOL!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I love your stories. When your dogs come near mabye your can do some redirecting with the F word and say something like here come the big cluckers. Just a thought.

OP
wolfsnaps

wolfsnaps

Jul 19, 2010
Spiritbird, thanks for the suggestion. Big cluckers...lol. I think Paco is the big clucker. She does a very interesting chicken sound. Its ok if she swears though, I dont have kids or much company and I think the company I do get actually LIKES it (except my mom).

Most Reactions

Latest posts