My First Parrot ! Female Vosmaeri Eclectus :-)

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
I know right?!? She'll be chatting away, and the moment she knows I'm trying to film her.... silence!

Keeps us on our toes though, and makes US feel like we've accomplished something when we manage to record THEM! :D

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Another clip of Bella chatting away!
[ame="https://youtu.be/h8GtJEiQFDI"]Female Vosmaeri Eclectus Parrot (Bella) talking again - YouTube[/ame]

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Her dialogue in this clip is:

Peek-a-boo, Peek-a-boo,
What cha doin?,
Tickle tickle,
What cha doin?,
D'ya want some more?,
Here y'go, here y'go,
Yummy yummy yummy,
Mmmmmm delicious mmmmm,
Here y'go,
Peek-a-boo,
Yummy yummy yummy yummy,
Mmmmmm delicious,

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Go, Bella! I love her peek-a-boo the most! The way she acts it out. Cracks me up!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
So Dexter wanted some of the food of Bellas beak - she mistook it for him wanting to bite her - she told him "No biting!"

Made me laugh!

[ame="https://youtu.be/wAqSulRGCKk"]Female Vosmaeri Eclectus Parrot (Bella) + Male Red Sided Eclectus (Dexter) "No Biting" - YouTube[/ame]

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Poor Bella, all she wanted was some of Dexters yummy. She asked him nicely, but he didn't give her any. She tried showing me that he had some yummy, and when he refused to share, she looked to me for help in the matter. Her little face was a picture!!!
[ame="https://youtu.be/1pDIoaRRkHA"]Female Vosmaeri Eclectus Parrot (Bella) can't get yummy she wants - YouTube[/ame]

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hahahahaha! If you watch this video and the last back to back, you get a sense of what's really going on there.

Dexter: "Oh, so now you want some of my food? Where was the love when I wanted some of yours?"
Bella: "Come on, Dex! I'm sorry! I'll share next time!"
Dexter: "Too LATE!! No sweet regurge for you! Just sharing with my boy Gerry, here."
Bella: "Moooooooooom!"

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Hahahahaha! If you watch this video and the last back to back, you get a sense of what's really going on there.

Dexter: "Oh, so now you want some of my food? Where was the love when I wanted some of yours?"
Bella: "Come on, Dex! I'm sorry! I'll share next time!"
Dexter: "Too LATE!! No sweet regurge for you! Just sharing with my boy Gerry, here."
Bella: "Moooooooooom!"

I think you've hit the nail on the head there! Glad you saw this in the same way as me :D

Last edited:
OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
I saw a very cute moment!

I was going round with a banana, letting each of them take a bite. Dexter took his chunk of banana to Bella and said "here you go" to which Bella excitedly replied "yummy!" and then he put the banana chunk in her beak. Sooooooo cute.

I'm sure that was him making up for not sharing before :D

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
That's amazing! Contextual talk between parrots?!? And so consistently! I've never gotten that with my birds. They've spoken in context to me, but never with each other. Wow.

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
That's amazing! Contextual talk between parrots?!? And so consistently! I've never gotten that with my birds. They've spoken in context to me, but never with each other. Wow.
It's so funny to watch! I think it might be because I typically have a very restricted and purposeful vocabulary with them. I try really hard to only use associated words with everything that we do and try to avoid rambling at them.

Every time I give them food I always say "here you go" when I present it to their beaks" followed up by a "yummy" and "mmmmm delicious", if I go to give them more I say "want some more?" So if food is presented to eachothers beaks the "here you go" comes out :D

Only thing Bella hasn't quite got the hang of is "No biting" she seems to say this if she's biting something as well as if she thinks someone is going to bite her. She definitely gets the concept of the "biting" bit, but doesn't quite understand the "no" part! Not quite sure how I'm going to get that across to her yet...

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
I'm sat in the room next door and all I can hear is Bella practising:

"D'ya want a shower?"

But her pronunciation of shower is more like "sha-wahhh"

She so cute! I'll take that as my cue for giving her a shower...

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Oh, I hope you eventually get that one on video! "She-wahhh"! I love it!

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
She has been practicing and can say "Shower" perfectly well now, so no more "Sha-wahhh" I'm afraid!

She still hasn't said it infront of me yet. She likes to practice her words and then only say them infront of me once she's got the hang of them. (Such a little perfectionist!)

I managed to record her audio through the door, so it's a bit hissy, but you can definitely hear her little voice! She says "Shower" a couple of times, as well as one of her favourites - "Yummy".
[ame="https://youtu.be/VzziXtkgGlA"]Bella Audio Clip - "Shower" - YouTube[/ame]

Most Reactions

Latest posts