My First Parrot ! Female Vosmaeri Eclectus :-)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Ok so the most difficult part is getting the bird o put its head thru the head stall part. Holding a treat thru the head stall , tempt her thru the head stall. Once she does that and is comfortable putting her head thru AND taking it off ( very important ) start drapping the wing loops over her, slowly tightening it each time you practice. The whole process can take awhile. Some parrots take to it easily, some it takes long time ( like my Salty). She is so pretty BTW.

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Ok so the most difficult part is getting the bird o put its head thru the head stall part. Holding a treat thru the head stall , tempt her thru the head stall. Once she does that and is comfortable putting her head thru AND taking it off ( very important ) start drapping the wing loops over her, slowly tightening it each time you practice. The whole process can take awhile. Some parrots take to it easily, some it takes long time ( like my Salty). She is so pretty BTW.
Thank-you kindly for your tips and advice. I do very much appreciate your input! I must say that you and Salty have been an inspiration with regards to harness training. I know you are very committed and have put alot of work in to get him to where he's at today.

BTW She doesn't look that pretty all the time! She can look equally bedraggled (like after her underwater squawking episode), she can also look like a scary dinosaur when she's squawking with her mouthful! :D

I'll let you know how her first session goes after the harness arrives.

PS Salty is a very handsome young man!

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Bella has been very kind!
When she's out of her cage and needs to poop, she flies over to the top of her cage, squats (which looks strangely cute) and poops... that is, until this evening when for the first time ever, she flew into her open cage, and pooped from her perch, and flew right out again! How lucky I am to have such a thoughtful girl! :)
She's definitely been flying much more recently, which I presume to be a good thing!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
A VERY good thing! Especially with the potty training aspect. Quite the thoughtful girl, indeed.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Welcome! Diet! Ekkies have specific diet needs. I have a female Ekkie and she is about 4 yo, Venus. I have all my fids on a fresh diet, no seed. With Veenie, I rotate foods so she is not getting the same foods frequently. Her favorite food is pomegranate, love watching her eat it.

I have posted quite a bit about her because we are going through puberty with her, extreme puberty so once Bella hits this phase, I have a lot to offer, not a pro but have experience. Veenie is my cuddle bug though, and my Velcro Venus. This weekend I was making Christmas wreaths and she was on my shoulder the entire time. Out of my three fids, she is the best behaved and spends a lot of time with me, on my shoulder. My point, she's awesome, when her hormones aren't raging, and she and I spend the most quality time together. She is harness trained and goes out with me too.

I hope you and Bella build a tight bond. I love my Venus (Veenie), ekkies are amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Welcome! Diet! Ekkies have specific diet needs. I have a female Ekkie and she is about 4 yo, Venus. I have all my fids on a fresh diet, no seed. With Veenie, I rotate foods so she is not getting the same foods frequently. Her favorite food is pomegranate, love watching her eat it.

I have posted quite a bit about her because we are going through puberty with her, extreme puberty so once Bella hits this phase, I have a lot to offer, not a pro but have experience. Veenie is my cuddle bug though, and my Velcro Venus. This weekend I was making Christmas wreaths and she was on my shoulder the entire time. Out of my three fids, she is the best behaved and spends a lot of time with me, on my shoulder. My point, she's awesome, when her hormones aren't raging, and she and I spend the most quality time together. She is harness trained and goes out with me too.

I hope you and Bella build a tight bond. I love my Venus (Veenie), ekkies are amazing.

Wow! No seed at all? How much fresh produce does your girl munch her way through each day? Do you have any tips with regards to your food combinations for meals and rotation rota? How many feedings does Venus get each day? I'm curious! The male eclectus I just got eats EVERYTHING I put infront of him. Bella however is a bit more of a fussy eater and I often find she's just picking out bits and leaving the rest :(

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
I made some more progress with Bella today. She's letting me handle her in a bit of a 'rougher' way which is going to make getting her wearing a harness a bit easier. I've been giving her treats through the harness loop, and today I had her head through it with the rest of the harness kind of resting on her body. She looked so cute. Next time I'm snapping a picture!

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
I can now get her head and wings in the harness! I haven't tightened the strap just yet, just practicing putting it on and off without tightening or loosening the buckle part. So far so good...

No picture as of yet though, as I feel I need my hands to be keeping Bella amused as I'm worried that if I use my hands to take a photo, she's going to start flying around the room with her harness half on - which could be dangerous!

Last edited:
OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
UPDATE
Bella has become a funny chatterbox! Her first word was "Hello", and this was after she'd already been making noises that seemed to mimic tones of things she hears on a regular basis. She also says "giz a kiss" followed by a kissing sound, as I say this to her just before I lean in and give her a peck on the beak. What did make me giggle was when Dexter was ontop of her cage, he kind of lunged towards her... her reaction? "Hello Dexter, giz a kiss!" I was impressed with her seemingly contextual use of language - plus it was super cute! So she can say her own name and Dexters name, plus "what'cha doin'?" The rest of the time she seems to be practising different noises - seemingly extracts of words mashed together. Sometimes she just finds a noise and runs with it. At the mo she seems to really enjoy going "Wha-wha-wha". She's definitely my girl! :)

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
What is it they say...? A bird in the hand...

Is worth...

Oh, hang on...

...don't worry about it...

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hahahahahahahahaha! Priceless! Love the update, pics AND captions! Great stuff, Violet_Diva! And it's good to see you and your flock back, again!

Oli

Supporting Member
Jan 22, 2017
California
Parrots
GCC, Juliet ✝ (2015-2023)
It is... so refreshing to see a new parrot owner so informed and passionate about this. You're a gift.

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
I've now started using YouTube for videos, so I will be sharing some of my duos antics fairly regularly.

First, a very short intro from Bella...

[ame="https://youtu.be/DRCnLtBzbYU"]Female Vosmaeri Eclectus Parrot (Bella) says "Hello!" - YouTube[/ame]

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Here's Bella responding to a 'Come Here' request (to my arm.)

Please forgive the annoying voice I use when talking to her! :D

[ame="https://youtu.be/1DIjYCumFSg"]Female Vosmaeri Eclectus Parrot (Bella) flying to me on request - YouTube[/ame]

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Sweet videos! She has such a genteel little voice when saying hello! And your recall training is coming along quite well, I see! That's great!

And for the record, your voice in that video is not even remotely annoying. No idea what you're talking about, my friend.

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
It is... so refreshing to see a new parrot owner so informed and passionate about this. You're a gift.

Thank-you kindly for your words Oli :) I try my best, but always strive to do better!

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Sweet videos! She has such a genteel little voice when saying hello! And your recall training is coming along quite well, I see! That's great!

And for the record, your voice in that video is not even remotely annoying. No idea what you're talking about, my friend.
Glad you got to see Bella in moving pictures this time! She makes me laugh so much when she's chattering, but I just haven't managed to catch her on video yet. I swear she knows when I've touched 'record' on my phone screen!

Y'know how folks have a tendency to talk to their birdies like babies - well, my voice is naturally way deeper than in that video, and it makes me cringe to hear myself back! :)

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Here's a clip of Lady Bella chatting away!
(There's a couple of cheers from Dexter during too.)

[ame="https://youtu.be/cpVWzTgH_hs"]Female Vosmaeri Eclectus Parrot (Bella) talking - YouTube[/ame]

I've found that she only chats like this if I'm 'ignoring' her. So I'm changing the paper in the bottom of her cage during filming (so sorry for the shonky camera work! I was trying to film her whilest not looking at her - not the easiest filming technique!)

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
It's a bit of a Peek-a-boo heavy clip, but she does say some other things during...

Hello
Tickle tickle
What 'cha doin'?
Come on then
Good girl?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Hahaha! I love that voice! And that was most impressive filming, considering the look away method used!

Why do ekkies love making us jump through hoops to hear them talk? Lol!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts