My GCC tail feathers are almost gone

Criticlow

Jun 27, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
hey, Iā€™m new to this form, but in May I adopted a green cheek conure who was nine months old at the time he had a bit of a scraggly tail feathers, but I didnā€™t think much of it because a lot of people were talking about stress and theyā€™re not being enough room in the cage. Heā€™s now 11 months and he keeps preening or breaking his tail feathers and I donā€™t know if this is normal or not. I really just want your guys advice before I take him to a vet because where I live ones that specialize in birds are pretty far away.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 43

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there, Iā€™m sorry to hear about your conure. Feather loss of our feathered friends is perplexing. There can be a variety of reasons for it. A vet can take labs, and make sure there isnā€™t something making your conure ill. They do a process of elimination. Itā€™s an important process. I myself have, and will recommend anyone in this boat to bring their parrot to the vet.

If his cage is really small is there a way to replace it? Sometimes pet stores have really good sales. Craigslist is a great place if you are on a budget.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Young parrots, and those with especially long tails, have a tendency to be clumbsy and manage to have pretty ratty looking tail feathers, conures and macaws come to mind. Small-ish cages dont help. Having said that, its always a good idea to take you new, healthy parrot to a CAV for a full exam, as a base line for the vet in case he gets sick in the future. THe vet will know what his readings were when he was feeling good.

Most Reactions