My Green Cheek Conure doesn't like her cage.

Usagi

Feb 23, 2017
I got my green cheek conure five days ago, I got her from a breeder and shes 11 weeks old. She seems to trust me as she follows me around and doesn't like to be left alone. I played with her toys outside the cage so she knows how to play with them, she has a chewing toy, a noisy toy, a colorful toys and many perches on different levels, ill be getting her a sleeping hut too. I feed her zupreem pellets and fruits.

Shes a bit nippy too. The moment I close the door in her cage when she goes in, she climbs down and paces the door entrance and climbs all the way to the top and falls down and demands basically to be let out. if Im in sight she goes crazy the only time she plays with her toys is when im out of sight. Which sucks because the computer to do my homework is in the same room as she is in. Her pacing stresses me out, makes me feel bad cant focus or ignore her too long if im in the same room, shes only in there when i eat meals, in the kitchen (coz she will follow and im scared she'll get hurt) or when im at work, and she sleeps at 7pm to 7 am.

when she bites i put her in the cage with no treat and exit the room, when I have to put her in when shes being good i give her treat, I play with her in the cage but the moment i close the door, even if im sitting there with her she'll freak out and i can hear her saying " how dare you human!?"

I was just wondering if anyone had this issue and what did they do to resolve it? did they get used to it eventually? because even when she finally calms down (only when im out of sight)the moment i go to the bathroom or kitchen and she seems me, she stops everything she was doing, playing or eating and paces and demands to be let out again at the bottom of the cage.
It's nerve racking, it's only been five days and I cant get anything done because of her.

my other thing is she rubs her beak everywhere, on me on the floor and i know they do this to wipe if there is food, but she doesn't have any. or hasn't even eaten.

Her name is Pluto by the way.

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome, your baby is playing you! Just like any other toddler! They love to rub their beak, it is very sensitive!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, thanks for joining!!

I don't know much of the Green Cheek personality, but it appears Pluto is deeply bonded to you and seeks attention. There is a line between a happy relationship and over-bonding; hard to determine what you are facing. Consistency is very important, continue positive reinforcement when Pluto is in the cage and try to avoid "giving in" to screams for attention. Some birds are not highly attracted to toys, so you may have to experiment finding something desired. You are experiencing perhaps the biggest challenge for parronts!!

Has Pluto been exposed to vegetables in addition to fruits and pellets?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
All great advice.
I'm glad you found us, and I'm glad you're reaching out.
Welcome!
And good luck!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hello and welcome to you and Pluto! I love conures, I had a Jenday several years back and he was so sweet. As Scott mentioned above, Pluto seems very bonded to you. This is great, but be careful not to over-bond. Parrots of all species kept as pets should learn from an early age to be independent and should be able to spend part of the day playing by themselves in their cage, because life just happens. We can't be with them 24/7, so it is important that you develop some boundaries with your bird to establish a healthy bond and so your bird can learn that playing alone is OK and fun!

It sounds like you are doing the right things. Like Scott also mentioned, try not to cave in when she starts pacing or screaming for you (you could put earbuds in, or do your work in another room?) and be sure to give her some tasty treats and things to do while she is in her cage. Just like kids, birds do well with structure and routine. It would be wise to consider establishing a specific routine for her in-cage time. Pick a certain time (maybe twice a day) to place her in her cage for an hour of her personal alone time. Feeding her should also take place in her cage, try to make all her interactions with her cage positive. I hope this helps a little, if at all! :)

adz1984

Dec 4, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine (Bella) RB2 (Unammed)
Wanna swap birds? mine will take a chunk outta your finger everytime you try to take her out of the cage ;)

Last edited:
OP
U

Usagi

Feb 23, 2017
Welcome to the forums, thanks for joining!!

I don't know much of the Green Cheek personality, but it appears Pluto is deeply bonded to you and seeks attention. There is a line between a happy relationship and over-bonding; hard to determine what you are facing. Consistency is very important, continue positive reinforcement when Pluto is in the cage and try to avoid "giving in" to screams for attention. Some birds are not highly attracted to toys, so you may have to experiment finding something desired. You are experiencing perhaps the biggest challenge for parronts!!

Has Pluto been exposed to vegetables in addition to fruits and pellets?

not much vegetable as i'd like, when she came was when we needed to go shopping which I havent yet, but I plan to today and get some greens.

how would i prevent over bonding? I cant go anywhere without her following, she freaks when I leave her sight, and it seem she knows shes not allowed in the kitchen so she flies there when I ignore her.

OP
U

Usagi

Feb 23, 2017
Hello and welcome to you and Pluto! I love conures, I had a Jenday several years back and he was so sweet. As Scott mentioned above, Pluto seems very bonded to you. This is great, but be careful not to over-bond. Parrots of all species kept as pets should learn from an early age to be independent and should be able to spend part of the day playing by themselves in their cage, because life just happens. We can't be with them 24/7, so it is important that you develop some boundaries with your bird to establish a healthy bond and so your bird can learn that playing alone is OK and fun!

It sounds like you are doing the right things. Like Scott also mentioned, try not to cave in when she starts pacing or screaming for you (you could put earbuds in, or do your work in another room?) and be sure to give her some tasty treats and things to do while she is in her cage. Just like kids, birds do well with structure and routine. It would be wise to consider establishing a specific routine for her in-cage time. Pick a certain time (maybe twice a day) to place her in her cage for an hour of her personal alone time. Feeding her should also take place in her cage, try to make all her interactions with her cage positive. I hope this helps a little, if at all! :)

thank you, i train her by her cage, and give make sure she eats there. Ive seen her eat her food when i come out of hiding but like i said she stops everything and runs to the entrance and wants out. Also I try no to open her cage every time I show up so she doesn't get used to that every time she sees me it means time to play outside.
Thank you again

OP
U

Usagi

Feb 23, 2017
Wanna swap birds? mine will take a chunk outta your finger everytime you try to take her out of the cage ;)

haha, she bites me too, just not as bad as you seem to be having it.
good luck, I find it when she bites me or nippy, that shes hungry

Most Reactions