My green cheek does not like my hands

ArminGhavidel

Dec 12, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple green cheek
Hello everyone, I just got a new 4 month old pineapple green cheek conure and it was in a really bad situation in a cage with other birds and I'm really trying to tame it. Now it used to get food from my hand and step up when I offer fruits and it steps up on its stick but every time I try to pet it and get close to it, runs away. How can I play with him and earn its trust?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Hello everyone, I just got a new 4 month old pineapple green cheek conure and it was in a really bad situation in a cage with other birds and I'm really trying to tame it. Now it used to get food from my hand and step up when I offer fruits and it steps up on its stick but every time I try to pet it and get close to it, runs away. How can I play with him and earn its trust?
If your bird is/ was stepping up, that’s great! Keep offering food from your hand. Move slowly and take your time. It could be months before your bird is comfortable with your hands. Many birds never really like getting petted, at least not like a dog or cat. They might like some head scratches or they might just like to hang out with you with no touching. Do not rush the bird; even if it’s hard not to touch them you have to let them learn to trust you at their own pace.❤️

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
If your bird is/ was stepping up, that’s great! Keep offering food from your hand. Move slowly and take your time. It could be months before your bird is comfortable with your hands. Many birds never really like getting petted, at least not like a dog or cat. They might like some head scratches or they might just like to hang out with you with no touching. Do not rush the bird; even if it’s hard not to touch them you have to let them learn to trust you at their own pace.❤️
Exactly. And the sooner people accept that most parrots, past the fledging stage, even the tamest hand raised ones, do not like being "petted". Imagine how they feel, as prey animals, when a giant King Kong hand reaches over from above and tries to touch them on their back where most dogs and cats love to be petted. Their natural instincts are to try to avoid the hand. They crouch down, try to run off, fly away, or bite. A lot of parrots let their humans scratch their heads and faces but only in very specific spots, the right way, only when they "ask" for it, and for only as long as they want you to. You know it when your touch is not welcome.

Birds show their affection for us by seeking out our company and perching on us and engaging in play. Some birds lluk

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Exactly. And the sooner people accept that most parrots, past the fledging stage, even the tamest hand raised ones, do not like being "petted". Imagine how they feel, as prey animals, when a giant King Kong hand reaches over from above and tries to touch them on their back where most dogs and cats love to be petted. Their natural instincts are to try to avoid the hand. They crouch down, try to run off, fly away, or bite. A lot of parrots let their humans scratch their heads and faces but only in very specific spots, the right way, only when they "ask" for it, and for only as long as they want you to. You know it when your touch is not welcome.

Birds show their affection for us by seeking out our company and perching on us and engaging in play. Some birds lluk
Oops! I blame the budgie!
Some, but not all, tame parrots like to snuggle up against our necks and doze off when they're very relaxed, but when not in the mood, that same parrot may bite your finger if it goes anywhere near them. Let's enjoy our birds and the physical contact they do allow and not get disappointed by what they don't.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is proper that any bird accepts one hands as safe last as our hands and arms have a hardwired appearance of a snake! With the acceptance of our hands and arms imply you are well on your way to a bonded relationship!

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Really great advice given above and I would reiterate that. Time and patience are required. You must accept that it will never be as tame as a hand raised bird and consider yourself lucky it doesn't bite.

When your hand feeding it have it perch on your hand and pull your hand out of the cage. Talk to it often so that it gets used to your voice.

It's a good idea to partially clip its wings as it will rely more on you. They grow back so you can choose to leave them or trim them after that

Most Reactions

Latest posts