My jubilee macaw is home!

Greenclaws

Jul 1, 2014
She's here! Her caretaker drove to South Carolina and took her back to Georgia last night and then delivered her to my house this evening!

I was so excited and anxious to meet her, it was the longest day at work ever! Her caretaker (Sandy) took her out of her travel cage, walked her in the house, and was able to hand her to me within two minutes of stepping in the living room! She was everything they said she was. She stood on my arm and let me hold her close to my chest, then she would spread and relax her wings to let them wrap around me and let me rub her head and pet her back and would occasionally lift her wing to ask me to rub under it! As we were talking, she leaned on me and laid her head on my chest and even fell asleep for a while while I pet her! It was love at first sight!!

Sandy and her husband left after thirty minutes, in which time she was held by me, my boyfriend, and pet by both our roommates. When they left, she was still sitting on my arms. I took her to her stand that I made for her and let her relax. She was pooping literally every 5 minutes and they were green and white, but watery and splattery. Not like what I've seen what healthy macaw poop looks like. I think she was really really stressed out from the new environment and four strangers looming around her. Her caretakers didn't say anything was off about the poop but maybe they didn't want to alarm me? Shouldn't a 4 month old macaw's poop be more like mounds than splatters? (Sorry, gross topic, but I was concerned.)

I tried to make her step up from her stand and she reached out acting like she was just using her beak to get on my arm. Instead she gave me several hard pinches that left small bruises and dents in my arm. I'm so proud of myself though! I stood perfectly still and didn't flinch and gently told her "no biting" (which they said she would understand) she gave me a few more good pinches but eventually stopped. I didn't force her to step up that first attempt but made sure to hold my arm by her and wait until she stopped biting, then kept it there for another few seconds before stepping away.

Ill admit, it kind of hurt my feelings especially after seeing how sweet and trusting she was when Sandy and her husband were there. I just thought she was a sweet naive baby bird. But I should have known from the constant pooping that she was obviously stressed. I can't blame her for being freaked out by a strange house full of looming strange people. Part of me is glad it happened though because I didn't know if I'd be able to stop myself from jerking back from a bite. My boyfriend was watching and said I was doing so good at staying calm!

I decided to try another approach and got a bag of nuts. I'd wait until she was on the other side of her perch and then hold the treat out and have her walk toward me. After three times of handing her the treat, I picked up a tiny half of a peanut she had dropped and held it in my open palm. She did a mini lunge and tapped me with her beak but didn't bite. I gently said "no biting" and she stopped and took it out of my hand!! :)

After that she saw my cat and flew off her stand onto the floor, then climbed up the sofa and back on her stand when I held it in front of her. Shortly after that I decided to try "step up" again. She grabbed me with her beak but didn't pinch the second time, and after some awkward one-legged arm surfing, I just decided to pick up her second foot with my hand and up she went!! It felt sooo good! She let me carry her to her cage and eagerly got in it and climbed to the tallest perch and immediately started playing with the single toy I put in there. Luckily I took a last minute half-day off of work tomorrow so I can spend time with her, so ill have to go to the pet store bright and early and get more toys.

Anyways, I just have some questions (again, lol) now that she's home.

What's a good routine for a first day (tomorrow) with a new macaw, given it is currently scared like she is?

Should I just reach in her cage in the morning and make her step up? Or give her a treat in the morning and hope she will climb to the door and come out on her own for more treats? If she doesn't want to come out on her own, should I not force it?

How quickly can she be taught to recognize and accept new people? Should it just be mostly me and occasionally my boyfriend until she knows us, and then introduce my two roommates to holding her? I don't want to overwhelm her with too much unfamiliarity.

Should a new bird be allowed to be left alone to adjust for the first few days? Or should I try to get her to spend as much time as possible on me?

Finally: potty training? I read online that most large parrots learn to not poop on you and will even wait til you hold them over a certain spot to poop. After she pooped on me three times within fifteen minutes, I asked her caretakers about potty training and they gave me a weird look and said you'll just get used to it and just have lots of clothes to change into when you take her out. Uhhhh... I hope that's not the case? What's a good potty training technique?

I hope I did everything right for our first interactions! I just want to make sure I get the most out of our time tomorrow as possible, since after that, I won't be home til 6pm on weekdays.

On a final happy note: she hasn't squawked at all and makes the cutest little baby moany noises!!

Here are some pics. I'm not in any of them cause I was behind the camera but the lady she is hugging is Sandy. She did the same exact thing when I held her and the close up of her face is her leaning on my chest, I took it as she opened her eyes from a nap.

Oh, and I think I'll name her Raja! After the tiger in Aladdin :)

Attachments

• raja5.jpg
    raja5.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 323
  • raja6.jpg
    raja6.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
OP
G

Greenclaws

Jul 1, 2014
Not sure why every single picture loaded sideways or upside down. They're not like that on my phone or computer. Weird

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
What a gorgeous girl! Congrats with the meet, and being able to hold still while she pinched you
I would give her maybe a day or two to get used to her cage first and try to see how eager she is to get out by herself. If she's wanting to come out of her cage it's a good indicator that she is used to her environment and is ready to explore and try new things (based off of my experience). Don't try to force her to spend time with you, let her start liking you first by spending lots and lots of time by her. This will make bonding a much smoother ride.
Personally, I would limit that she only gets to go around to two people while she's still adjusting. This will cause you and your boyfriend to be the "safe zone". Again, in my opinion, as she progresses into a really comfortable state it should be okay to start introducing her to new people.

OP
G

Greenclaws

Jul 1, 2014
What a gorgeous girl! Congrats with the meet, and being able to hold still while she pinched you
I would give her maybe a day or two to get used to her cage first and try to see how eager she is to get out by herself. If she's wanting to come out of her cage it's a good indicator that she is used to her environment and is ready to explore and try new things (based off of my experience). Don't try to force her to spend time with you, let her start liking you first by spending lots and lots of time by her. This will make bonding a much smoother ride.
Personally, I would limit that she only gets to go around to two people while she's still adjusting. This will cause you and your boyfriend to be the "safe zone". Again, in my opinion, as she progresses into a really comfortable state it should be okay to start introducing her to new people.

Thank you!! The pictures don't do her justice. I think she's the most beautiful bird on earth!! (But I might be a little biased. Haha!) they said her feathers got kind of banged up from moving around in the travel cage so I can't wait to see her first molt!

Thanks for the advice on letting her decide when she comes out of the cage. I was just afraid of it meaning that she'd be spending her first 40+ hours here cage bound (since I work and have an hour long commute, I pretty much have 6pm-12pm on normal work days to work with her.) Although she seemed quite eager and happy to get in the cage after the stress of being front and center on the play stand. She got in her cage and started shaking and chewing that toy right away!! Once I buy more toys for her cage tomorrow, maybe I won't feel so compelled to get her out of the cage to "free" her.

OP
G

Greenclaws

Jul 1, 2014
Is there such thing as approaching a macaw TOO slowly? I think my slow movement may have provoked the pinches, from what I'm reading from a previous post on this forum. Apparently natural predators would slowly approach a macaw so they react in fear when you move too slow? I didn't think I was being exceptionally slow, I just wanted to present my arm and let her inspect it to know I wasn't there to hurt her or just snatch her up.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Many congrats on your beautiful baby girl. :) So, what is her name?

It's perfectly normal that she's nervous and reluctant to step up on you because she has yet to get to know you and has to learn to trust you.

ALL macaws use their beaks, some more so than others, and IME they will pinch, too. Beak pressure training is a very important tool for this.

Do you have a scale? Since baby isn't completely weaned - if I remember correctly - it's important you weigh her daily (first thing in the morning) and record the results. What is your feeding schedule with her going to look like?

She's a baby, and I believe she will come around fairly quickly. She'll be your new lapdog in no time at all. :D

OP
G

Greenclaws

Jul 1, 2014
Many congrats on your beautiful baby girl. :) So, what is her name?

It's perfectly normal that she's nervous and reluctant to step up on you because she has yet to get to know you and has to learn to trust you.

ALL macaws use their beaks, some more so than others, and IME they will pinch, too. Beak pressure training is a very important tool for this.

Do you have a scale? Since baby isn't completely weaned - if I remember correctly - it's important you weigh her daily (first thing in the morning) and record the results. What is your feeding schedule with her going to look like?

She's a baby, and I believe she will come around fairly quickly. She'll be your new lapdog in no time at all. :D

I named her Raja :) at first I thought Fawkes, after Dumbledore's Phoenix in Harry Potter, but I figured people would think I had named her "Fox."

Thanks for the reassurance. I have no doubt that she will come around! It just caught me off guard after seeing what a sweetheart she was with her old owners around. Then having her act out in fear made me realize she was terrified in a new place. I think I wasnt prepared because you don't like to think about your new baby being afraid in its new home. Its like a "why isn't it love at first sight for her like it was for me?!? Haha

Here's what I plan on our schedule looking like:
7AM: I wake up and let her out to stretch her wings, maybe direct interaction for half an hour, then go on her play stand while I get ready for work.
8AM: back in the cage with pellets, water, and some fresh fruits and veggies
My boyfriend does aquarium maintenance so he doesn't have a set schedule and is often home in the mornings and afternoons. When he's home he can let her out.
6PM: I come home and give her her one daily handfeeding, lots of healthy treats throughout the evening for bonding and training.
***Since she is new and stressed, should I try one handfeeding in the morning in addition to the evening one?
12AM: back in the cage and lights out for bed.

I don't have a stand with food and water bowl yet so now sure how ill provide those things constantly in the evenings while she's out. For now I might just take her back to her cage every few hours to let her eat and drink? Although I think her handfeeding and fresh fruits and veggies and nuts I give her as treats will keep her pretty hydrated and full in the evenings.
...Then repeat the next day and the day after that! On the weekends, I'm home all day although her morning routine might be 2-3 hours tardy. Lol!

Once she's fully adjusted and trained, she'll be going to the park, on weekend hiking trips, to the Home Depot, and for walks through the neighborhood! But I won't push anything until I'm 100% sure she's ready and then we will take baby steps.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yes, I would most definitely offer Raja (GREAT name!!) some formula first thing in the morning. Those growing big mac babies wake up fairly hungry. :) And since she is in a brand new home, her feeding schedule most likely will have taken a step back.

If you haven't hand fed before, I'd use a small paper cup instead of a syringe. MUCH safer!! Of course you still have to make sure the temperature and consistency of formula is right. ;)

And I absolutely agree with Karen, she needs to be tucked in MUCH earlier than midnight. Please remember, it's recommended that pet birds get between 10-12 hours of uninterrupted sleep. :)

OP
G

Greenclaws

Jul 1, 2014
Awesome, ill start doing two feedings!

I could put her in her cage at ten. I just didn't know if the 4 hours out in the evenings would be enough time out of her cage? Our household also doesn't really go to sleep until 12. I put her up at ten last night since she had a log day. Her sunroom is large enough to where if I turn those lights off its pretty dark even with the living room lights on.

I could also not do the one hour of out-of-cage time in the morning and just quietly slip her new food and water bowls in when I leave at 8. Is that better? Just thought she'd like some time out in the morning but its honestly more convenient for me if its best to just skip it and let her sleep.

I'm just concerned that the room she's in get lots of natural indirect light. Will she learn to sleep past sunrise?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
She is beautiful! Looks like she's giving you a big birdie hug. Your boyfriend on the other hand, looks like she wants to eat his hair lol! I would suggest putting her to be earlier though. They do best when they get 10-12 hours a night of sleep:) (and will probably nap in the day too, the lazy things!). If your living room is still bright, buy or make a DARK cover for her cage. And regardless if you still hear her, the cover goes on at 8 or 9 pm and doesn't come back of until 7 or 8 am. She will learn to go to sleep if you are consistent with the schedule. Our amazon is in the living room, and sometimes we don't go to sleep until midnight, 1am but he goes to bed at 9pm. I'll hear him eating or moving around for maybe 10-15 minutes after the covers go on, and then he goes to sleep. They learn their schedule if you just keep at it!

Are her poops looking more normal now? It could be that she is still on formula (higher water content) or that she was stressed (when a parrot is stressed or frightened, they can have watery poops). Hope to see beautiful Raja around. and remember, take the time and baby steps with her and she'll be a wonderful companion:)

Last edited:
OP
G

Greenclaws

Jul 1, 2014
Her poop is the color and consistency of her formula (light brown) with tiny swirls of green and white in it. Yesterday it was mostly clear liquid with green and white swirls. Is this a bad sign? How fast does food pass theough them? Her poop yesterday might have been from that mornings food which wouldn't have been any formula. Maybe this morning's poop is from last nights hand feeding? They fed her right before they brought her over.

OP
G

Greenclaws

Jul 1, 2014
This my main question for now, please everyone chime in if you could. I've done lots of reading but no one seems to make any clear statements or maybe there isn't one opinion everyone agrees on.

If a bird is unfamiliar with me, should I just interact with her in the cage and wait until she chooses to come out on her own to me? Like open the door and talk to her and give her treats? Or should I be reaching in and making her step up even if she lunges and bites?

I like the first approach because its how I've treated and bonded with all of my animals. But then some people say you need to let birds know who the boss is early on. It's a little confusing!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Awesome, ill start doing two feedings!

I could put her in her cage at ten. I just didn't know if the 4 hours out in the evenings would be enough time out of her cage? Our household also doesn't really go to sleep until 12. I put her up at ten last night since she had a log day. Her sunroom is large enough to where if I turn those lights off its pretty dark even with the living room lights on.

I could also not do the one hour of out-of-cage time in the morning and just quietly slip her new food and water bowls in when I leave at 8. Is that better? Just thought she'd like some time out in the morning but its honestly more convenient for me if its best to just skip it and let her sleep.

I'm just concerned that the room she's in get lots of natural indirect light. Will she learn to sleep past sunrise?

I would definitely get her up in the morning to spend at least an hour with her as I personally think it's not enough to only spend quality time with her in the evening. She WILL nap throughout the day, regardless of how bright the room is.

I love April's idea of covering her cage in the evening, to give her some extra darkness.

Her poop is the color and consistency of her formula (light brown) with tiny swirls of green and white in it. Yesterday it was mostly clear liquid with green and white swirls. Is this a bad sign? How fast does food pass theough them? Her poop yesterday might have been from that mornings food which wouldn't have been any formula. Maybe this morning's poop is from last nights hand feeding? They fed her right before they brought her over.

Formula generally passes through them faster than solids. Have you set up an appointment with an avian vet yet to have her checked out thoroughly?

As for morning droppings - it depends. My Niko will go when he needs to, but Ripley will literally hold his poop from the time lights go out (at 8PM) until lights come back on (8AM), and his first morning poop rivals that of a Chihuahua. :54:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Just remember, poop is a VERY important thing to learn to read, as it is often the best (and only) indicator of illness in your bird (though Raja doesn't sound like she's sick, just stressed;)).

If she is still being hand fed, you're going to have to get her out to feed her. She can't starve. Again, I know nothing about hand feeding, so hopefully someone who does can help you with what to do there:).

Though in general, I find it important to assert your authority over the bird rather than view the bird as your equal (which a bird is not). Theres a major difference though between the bird respecting you out of trust and respecting you out of fear. My bird gets praise and love along with sometimes needing a "firm" tone of voice and correction/time out. And when he's scared and wants to feel safe, he knows who's gonna save his little butt from the scary whatever it is and comes running;) Developmentally, parrots are a lot like small children, except they never advance past the mind of a toddler. They are curious to the point of being naughty, they need an authority figure, they need routine, they do need to be corrected at times (and there is a right and wrong way to do that) and they also need to learn simple verbal cues as well as YOU learning their body language cues so you can communicate with them. I actually learned many of the "techniques" I trained Kiwi with off that show Super Nanny and just adapted them to work for a parrot (yes, the one with feral kids, and it worked quite well on my feral bird:20:). I'm not joking, many of the ways you would teach and correct a young child can be applied to parrots, you just have to get creative with the means of communicating the concepts;)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
She's nervous, but the more you handle them, the sooner they adjust, in my opinion. Once she figures out that she's in a good place where she's safe and loved, the adjust.

The longer you wait to give her that, the harder it is. I like to have them hit the ground running. Macs are confident birds. Adjusting to new things, and having it work out just fine, only boosts their confidence.

Patterning for a new place I think should begin right away. This is your new home. These are your new people. This is your new routine...

THAT, showing them the ropes, helps them adjust faster than leaving them to sit and try to figure it out on their own.

Now is the time to start teaching...

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Raja is stunning! Fabulous name for such a beautiful girl:)

Most Reactions