My lovebird bites all of us and seems very aggressive around us but whenever it sees me approaching its cage it runs up to me so why does he bite

Eviechua

Oct 31, 2023
Parrots
Lovebird
Sorry for the long title but thats pretty much the sum up😭I have a lovebird(1yr old) and i got it from a friend who has multiple birds in march. For some context it used to be a super sweet and loving bird, always wanting to steal my glasses and run all over my body😂 It’s legs are handicapped as well, its seperated so it cant walk or jump like a normal bird(he adapts super fast though, runs in his cage alot).
However, after coming back from a 2 week long trip in china, suddenly it became very aggressive. It didnt let us bring him out like we used to, nor did it let us pet him. It bites whenever it sees my finger. At first i assumed it was molting season, but it has been going on for months and i miss when it was docile :( I have literally zero idea why it suddenly turned aggressive, everyone in the family loves it and it was never mistreated. Its slightly better now but it still bites. But whenever it sees me approaching the cage it will always run down from whereever it is and come and greet me, so why does he still display aggression?
sorry for the long thread im just really worried😭(no idea whats its gender, and its called seaweed)

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]
Sorry for the long title but thats pretty much the sum up😭I have a lovebird(1yr old) and i got it from a friend who has multiple birds in march. For some context it used to be a super sweet and loving bird, always wanting to steal my glasses and run all over my body😂 It’s legs are handicapped as well, its seperated so it cant walk or jump like a normal bird(he adapts super fast though, runs in his cage alot).
However, after coming back from a 2 week long trip in china, suddenly it became very aggressive. It didnt let us bring him out like we used to, nor did it let us pet him. It bites whenever it sees my finger. At first i assumed it was molting season, but it has been going on for months and i miss when it was docile :( I have literally zero idea why it suddenly turned aggressive, everyone in the family loves it and it was never mistreated. Its slightly better now but it still bites. But whenever it sees me approaching the cage it will always run down from whereever it is and come and greet me, so why does he still display aggression?
sorry for the long thread im just really worried😭(no idea whats its gender, and its called seaweed)
The same happened with my Current Lovebird whom I hand-raised, Snowii [Female]. My family and I went on vacation for two months and she was very aggressive towards me. For some weeks, she'd ignore me and only approach when she is in need for cuddles or such. But after that, she became who she is.

Your little Lovie may be mad that you were gone. to fix this, you must treat him/her like how you would treat a new bird; go near its cage, talk to it, offer it more treats than often, and play around it more.
and if you have any phrases that you often say to it, continue saying those phrases but do it more often.

Lovebird are kind of a one-person bird, My Snowii only tolerates me touching or cuddling her. otherwise, she's quite aggressive and wary in front of other people such as my mother, father, little brother, and strangers.

hope this helps~!

Most Reactions

Latest posts