My lovely 6 month old mavaw

ToniStods

Aug 23, 2018
Evening all. I have a 6 month old blue and golden macaw called Ollie. He's so lovely and cuddly. Hey has a great temperament and is so friendly.

I'm slightly concerned that he doesn't have any of the grey (underneath) feathers on his belly. His belly is covered in yellow top feathers, but there's nothing underneath (not even the pin needle feathers growing underneath.

Should I be worried, and what can I do if there's a problem?

Thanks in advance.

Toni

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'll defer to our macaw experts for now, but I'm glad you're here! Maybe use the Search tab above to see if there are relevant threads?

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Ollie still is a real young baby - so... no clue ;)
Could be something commonplace/a babybird-thingy.

He has been tested on all the scary diseases?

(PBFD- to name a really scary one will usually also present with absence of the down feathers, but afaik more in an all-over lack of them, not just the belly)

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
Evening all. I have a 6 month old blue and golden macaw called Ollie. He's so lovely and cuddly. Hey has a great temperament and is so friendly.

I'm slightly concerned that he doesn't have any of the grey (underneath) feathers on his belly. His belly is covered in yellow top feathers, but there's nothing underneath (not even the pin needle feathers growing underneath.

Should I be worried, and what can I do if there's a problem?

Thanks in advance.

Toni

Arika took a little while for her feathers to fill in. Even today (at 1 year and 3 months), while she has a good bit of down on her chest and belly, you can see the predominantly larger yellow feathers especially after she's had a bath.

Posting a picture if possible would really help. That way we can see better as what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Toni and Ollie! Will also defer to our macaw parronts with recency.

Would love to see pics of Ollie!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts