My Male Budgie Is Standoffish

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
I've had Petals for 4 years now he is a budgie ( And yes i thought he was a girl at first). He used to atleast step up for me but the past six months he has deteriorated he is afraid of my hands now he won't step up he's Leary of the treats i give him now. I did recue him from an abusive home but, i had thought we had worked through all that stuff he seemed to be fine but now i have no clue what to do. Somehow i feel like i did something wrong and im the reason he is scared again now but i really need help to help fix whatever is scaring him, because I don't want him to be scared forever. It makes me sad.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
My instinct would be to back right off as if you have just met. Let him do the approaching and in any situation where you want/need to touch him give him the choice. Try not to invade his space too much and any sign of discomfort back off. Eventually my feeling is that he will either gain confidence or be puzzled about your change of behaviour and start approaching. Needless to say each and every time he approaches, you will have a treat ready, so he remembers that you are a fund of good things.

OP
Birdgirl24

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
My instinct would be to back right off as if you have just met. Let him do the approaching and in any situation where you want/need to touch him give him the choice. Try not to invade his space too much and any sign of discomfort back off. Eventually my feeling is that he will either gain confidence or be puzzled about your change of behaviour and start approaching. Needless to say each and every time he approaches, you will have a treat ready, so he remembers that you are a fund of good things.
Thanks ill try that and update how it goes!

Most Reactions