my nani hates me

rubyroo

Mar 2, 2010
:red::red1:i have a 5 yr old female ekkie that i bought from a lady who was her first and only owner She sold her because she had to travel for her job and could see the behavior changes in nani since she was not home 24/7. when i brought nani home she loved me and never bit me.. I have 3 indoor cats that do not bother her and outside of that i cant see any difference between our 2 homes she has/is living at.. i work 3p-11p and when i come home she wakes up and used to give me kisses and now she NIPS VERY HARD AT MY LIPS ...she has learned 1 new word and that is OWE OWE OWE(I THINK THAT SPELLING IS WRONG) in various sounds and tones.. she is afraid of me and not anyone else She steps up onto other peoples hands and they can stroke her back but not me O NO I GET A BITE AND AN "OWE" .. I constantly tell her i love her and that she is a good bird but she continues to bite and is afraid of me I have never done ANYTHING to hurt her and just tell her she is a bad bird when she bites and good birdies no bite bad birdies do.. why did she start hating/ fearing me??? she will take food out of hand w/out biting but if i approach her where ever she is (in or out if cage) she will bite me i tried not reacting to her bites and not saying OWE but it is hard PLEASE HELP WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE HER LOVE ME AGAIN?? I do not knoiw why she changed I have tried thinking of anything i did different and cant come up w/ anything

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
humm i am sure other will have good suggestions, but when nut gets like that i let her come to me, and 9 time outta 10 when its just me an her in the house it works

but stop kissing her! she might be wanting more then a kiss and reacting to what she thinks is rejection

also watch where you pet her! as certain areas the birds consider as sexual, especially the back

as for 11pm? thats late, so i would personally change home routine, to quick greeting an cover, as i give nut a good 12 hours sleep

don't feel bad she is most probably testing waters now the honeymoon period is over, as nut did with us all! they eventually settle, and they soon learn biting/anti social behavior gets them nothing.

and welcome to forum an pics please :)

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
You don't wake up your birds, when you get home at 11pm... Play with them in the morning/afternoon... Birds sleep with the sun...

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
She is punishing you. The lady who had Mac before me, started working full time as well after her husband died. He was mac's favorite person. So she tried to spend as much time with him as she could. But Mac was used to being out of his cage most of the day every day since her husband worked from home.

He started getting aggressive towards the lady to the point that she needed a towel to get him out of his cage in the mornings so she could spend a little time with him. He would nip at her and started plucking his leg feathers and overpreening himself badly.

Your bird could be hormonal and hopefully that is the case. If not and the situation doesn't improve, you may have a decision to make. I had to give away a bird that I had years ago because she just didn't take to me at all, but LOVED my brother.

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
I love this article :)

https://companionparrotonline.com/Think_Parrot_Hates.html

You say nothing has changed. But have you cut your hair? Dyed it? Painted your nails? *anything*

Our Macaw loves our 15 year old. He had never seen her do her hair though since she tends to be lazy and just let it lie. This past weekend she went out and did her hair, when she came home and said hi to him, he growled at her and wouldnt let her near him. It doesnt take much for a smart bird to notice something is different.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
I agree - if you're getting off work at 11pm, you're most likely not getting home until 11:30 or closer to midnight. That is waaaaaaaay too late to be attempting to give the bird attention. They need sleep pretty much through all the "dark" hours of the day. Their schedules are with the sun - not ours. We can do a variety of things to adjust this slightly, but there is no way you can flip a bird to sleep during the day, or late into the day, and stay up later at night. The bird is cranky because you're waking her up!

Secondly, if you're her second owner, there are absolutely differences between your home and her former home! One home is never going to be 100% identical to another. Period. The furniture, the people, the hours kept, how often you have visitors, etc. It's all going to be different because no one lives identical lives. These are all things that can affect a bird. How long have you had this bird? It can take 1-3 years for a bird to fully settle into a home. During this period of time, there are going to be behavioral changes. They are going to test their limits. They are still trying to get a feel for you, for your lifestyle, for their new home.

And yes, just changing your hair, such as simply pulling it up, can throw a bird off. Wearing a baseball cap around them when you never have before, or when they've never seen one, is something that can do that as well. Our Sugar didn't like glasses when we first met her. Neither my husband or I could wear our glasses around her for the first few weeks. Then she started to realize that the glasses weren't going to hurt her and now we can wear them around her. It's the littlest things.

Most Reactions

Latest posts