My new edition GUSS

Guss

Jan 25, 2021
Hi everyone . I am new to the forum my name is Dan and my alexandrine is called Guss . Some advice I am after please.Guss is 4 months old and I have had him for 2 weeks now I had him from a breeder and he his a beautiful bird he was very frightened when he arrived as expected . He would just sit on the perch furthest away from me with his back turned after a few days of me talking to him and spending as much time by his cage he started to warm to me . He loves his food and is exploring his cage a lot more and I can go close up to him now without being frightened . Hes still is not to sure about my hands I am trying to get him to take treats through the bars of the cage he is getting better but will only take the treat if I leave it there and go and sit back down. I am so pleased with what we have achieved in just 2 weeks but I am looking for any advice to help us both progress with the bonding process ..
Thank you in advance Dan and Guss .

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome!! Congratulations!!!
First just because this has been critical for me. Get a digital kitchen scale and target train your bird so yiu can check weights weekly. Some people glue a t stand to it, so burds can step up. Burds hide being sick, tge first sign is often weight-loss. More than a 3% weight-loss make a vet appointment.

IRN are notorious fir being hand shy, especially freaked out by fingers. Folding fingers can help.

Silver Sage Aviary has many articles on IRN
Home - Silver Sage Aviaries

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Your making progress. Rmember to work at your parrots pace, not the pace of your expectations. Most parrots accept change at a glacial pace compared to our monkey brain adaptability. Very true about ringnecks, as my friend Laura points out. Make sure you spend time every day trying to expand his horizons, ringnecks are also notorious for going back to an almost wild state if not interacted with regularly. 2-3 15 min sessions are better than trying for 45 min straight. Try to determine which is his favorite treat, and reserve that for your taming sessions - the way to a parrots heart is thru the belly ( well, crop at any rate).

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrotforum!

The advise provided above is golden!

FYI: It is not uncommon for Parrots to fear hands and fingers because that have a likeness to snakes! That is a hardwired reaction! Comfort comes with time and not having died. So, consider bringing new things and fingers in a bit slower.

Two weeks in Parrot time can be quick or slow, it all depends on your Parrot! As stated above, move at your Parrot's rate!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome to you! It is incredibly refreshing to meet someone who understands relationship 101!
Reverse rolls and you are able to see so much more!

Most Reactions