My ringneck keeps biting my cockatiel

Fahima

May 4, 2022
Parrots
Ringneck
Cockatiel
Hi
Kiwi who is my indian ringneck keeps biting my cockatiels toes. I know what the problem is because he only bites her after i show her attention.
But i cant just leave her and give him all the attention its become such that he doesn't even want me to take her out of the cage or he charges at her
Please help
P.s. i promise i give him attention too.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Hi
Kiwi who is my indian ringneck keeps biting my cockatiels toes. I know what the problem is because he only bites her after i show her attention.
But i cant just leave her and give him all the attention its become such that he doesn't even want me to take her out of the cage or he charges at her
Please help
P.s. i promise i give him attention too.
Do they have separate cages? Maybe they need separate out of cage times.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Can you put some protection up so that the ringneck can’t bite the cockatiel’s toes? He may well bite one or more OFF.

Or, can you keep the birds separated? Other bigger birds are known to pick on cockatiels because they are less aggressive.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
When I volunteered at a shelter I seen birds being aggressive to each other once in awhile. If I were you I’d try to prevent the behavior all together rather having their cages in different areas, or something to protect your smaller bird.

It could be that your ring neck is hormonal, and is attacking your cockitiel for being around you because your ring neck considers you a mate? Some birds can be more territorial then others. Just another thought.

Squeeing_Onion

Oct 10, 2018
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
"Bongo" - Green Cheek Conure
β€œEcho” - Indian Ringneck
"Chicken" - Sun Conure, rest in peace, my precious friend.
I agree on the suggestion of working to physically prevent him having the opportunity to be able to bite her. I've read at least one owner's story of how fast an IRN can shred a cockatiel's foot if they get hold, and I'd cry to read another.

I would put him away before bringing her out, so he can't charge at her. You could try providing distractions while he's "not in the spotlight" such as giving him his favorite of favorite treats to enjoy, or a new toy if he's excited about those, etc.

That may help teach him to associate you giving affection to the other bird with something positive, not only the negative he currently sees.

If him flying at her cage while he's loose is an issue, you could move her cage to another room, bring him to another room right away for play time, whatever it takes to prevent him being able to attack her with the intent to harm.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I agree on the suggestion of working to physically prevent him having the opportunity to be able to bite her. I've read at least one owner's story of how fast an IRN can shred a cockatiel's foot if they get hold, and I'd cry to read another.

I would put him away before bringing her out, so he can't charge at her. You could try providing distractions while he's "not in the spotlight" such as giving him his favorite of favorite treats to enjoy, or a new toy if he's excited about those, etc.

That may help teach him to associate you giving affection to the other bird with something positive, not only the negative he currently sees.

If him flying at her cage while he's loose is an issue, you could move her cage to another room, bring him to another room right away for play time, whatever it takes to prevent him being able to attack her with the intent to harm.
Yes. Maybe if you give the cockatiel a treat, give one to the ringneck? That’s what I do with Willow and Jasper. Try to trade off on treats/ time/ affection really obviously.

Most Reactions