My Room Mate Wants a Bird

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
He likes bob, but does not want a tiel. He needs a quietish bird. It needs to be comfortable with multiple people as he is out of town often. I will care for his bird while he is unable to. He would like a medium sized bird, something the size of a military macaw or somewhat smaller. He also wants a bird that would likely be a good talker. He wants a brightly colored bird. He wants something at $1,100 or less. A bird that will get along with a tiel under supervision is also a necessity.

Any suggestions?

wibitywab

Jun 4, 2011
Southern California
Parrots
"Kiwi" My Hahn's Macaw and R.I.P. Buddy the GCC-2009 - 2011
I don't know about a somewhat quiet parrot, because all are loud. But maybe a pionus, or a hahns, or even maybe a severe...queen of bavarias can be very pricy, but they are very fun!!!

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
maybe he should wait till he has the time for a bird??

saying you own a bird is cool, but the care these birds or any other pets need can be less so, and so far all you have said is what he wants? can he commit 30yrs plus to this bird?

he could be lucky an get a bird that'll accept any1 to care for it, and do as its told/asked to do all the time, and most important not having a routine does not upset it

with the bond you have with bob, would you be happy leaving him on a regular basis, or even leaving him with someone who may know nothing of birds

sorry for negative response, but the things your friend wants from a bird, good talker, can be left on regular basis, comfortable having multiple ppl/strangers about, he would have to so******e/train this bird well before he can really do any of this

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I agree with Sue, birds require a lot of care, the bigger the bird the bigger the commitment and it doesn't sound like your friend has the time or even the knowledge for that size of a bird. We all wanted a beautiful macaw when we first decided to get a bird, but common sense won out in the end with most of us who started out with smaller easier to maintain birds.

I agree with a Pionus, Senegal, Meyers or better yet, a Conure. But ALL birds have their noisy times.

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
Quarantine would be difficult and would put your bird at risk.
And why the $1100? Is that all he can afford? When you have to put the cage and vet bills into perspective as well as the bird itself.....
I suggest he waits a bit and does his research in the meantime.

( Hi everyone, been hard to get onto the internet lately but going back to Australia in a week. A lot of stuff I've got to catch up on! )

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Well, I know your room mate is looking for a larger bird, but Our little yellow sided Green Cheek conure is to die for! He's so well socialized and so far get's along with everyone, even people he's never met.

Our conure has the personality of a larger parrot and get's along well with our 2 tiels. Each of our birds have their own cage and only are together during supervised play time. Mostly our conure just wants to climb all over us and could care less about our tiels.

I think it COULD work having your room mate get a bird, the biggest thing is to get a bird that is well socialized and KEEP him/her socialized to different people so that when your room mate is gone and the bird is in your care, he/she would have less chance of bonding specifically to you.

HOWEVER! Keep in mind that with birds of any species...you just never know, they sometimes will bond to one specific person no matter what you do to try and keep him or her social. And often times bonded birds to one person become agressive to anyone else in the room. If this should happen to your room mates bird and it's NOT your room mate that this potential bird bonds to, what then? Another re-homed bird? It's something to think about. I tend to think that larger birds have more of a tendency to become 1 person birds...and because their bite is bigger and ouchier, this can be a very bad thing.

Anyway, under the circumstances I think a Green Cheek Conure is a good choice. I'm extremely partial to them now that one owns us. :) They are relatively quiet, and especially quiet compared to a larger parrot and their acrobatic skills are amazing! Quite comical characters.

BTW: We are a family of 5, plus all our kids friends who regularly socialize with our birds. And currently my husbands sister and her 2 kids are living with us...UGH! Makes for a packed house (8 of us) but very well socialized birds ;)

Good Luck!

Toni

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
What happens when you guys don't live together & he still travels? You have read about the # of rehomed birds. If he decides to do this & changes his mind down the road, will you take his bird? What if you fall in love w/this bird & he moves & takes it?

The way you worded the post, makes me wonder if he is mature enough to have a bird. This might not be the case. Does he have a track record of being a responsible animal care giver? Guide him to make the right decision.

Most Reactions

Latest posts