My Son Passed Yesterday

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
Hello conure lovers, this is my first post.

My sun conure had an accident yesterday morning while I was sleeping.
He was startled by something human couldn't see / chasing after my mom.
He was fully feathered and not trimmed.
No idea how he hit the staircase, or maybe the floor, that's so not like him.
He broke his neck.
He stayed up for a few minutes just to see me for the last time.
I could not save him.
He died peacefully in my hands.
Me and my mom are beyond devastated.
Don't wanna believe this is real.
He is the first ever thing who calls me by the name daddy, I treated him like my son. He made me so happy.
He understands my language and my emotions
Accompanied me through the hardest moments in my life until after I got my PhD.
He is 1 year and 2 months old, spent 11 months with us.
We buried him in my backyard, a nice deep and sturdy stone grave with flowers on top, to make sure no raccoons can dig him out.

Maybe my parrot was indeed my son in my previous life. He came to see me in this life and went back to heaven after he served his purpose as the Lord summoned him. I am not yet religious.
I remember the day when I got him from the pet store, he willingly flew onto my shoulder as soon as the worker there opened the cage for me. There were a bunch of other birds inside and he was the only one who came to me.
He was 3 months old, and was able to say daddy without anyone teaching him. he did that within two weeks of settling in my house.
He was gifted, and so loved by us. We made sure we took the best care of him everyday. We miss him dearly.

~~~ A list of important posts in this thread ~~~

#3 and #4: Why I believe my son's transition is of paranormal origin. Who killed my son?

#34: My son's spirit guide and oversouling pigeon.

#55: My son's first appearance in my dream which later became reality. Is my son an old soul?

#58: My son's reincarnation / oversoul, and why I am convinced that afterlife exists.

~~~ Special Thanks ~~~

Terry57
freshprincess87
Farnoosh

IMG_7944.JPG

IMG_7946.JPG

IMG_7683.JPG

IMG_7283.JPG

IMG_7939.JPG

IMG_7681.JPG

IMG_7685.JPG

IMG_7687.JPG

IMG_7375.JPG

IMG_8111.JPG

IMG_8112.JPG

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so very sorry for your loss of your sweet boy. I have lost a couple of birds that way as well, and my heart hurts for you.
He showed how much he loves you by waiting to say goodbye to you. It's obvious you two had a special bond and that will always be there, in your heart.
Again, I am just so sorry.

OP
SunConureBaba

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Parrots
I did not want to believe supernatural things, but recently there have been weird things happening that cannot be explained by what I learned in physics. I will highlight the most suspicious things happened to my parrot and try to understand what has really happened. This is a series of real stories and I hope I don't violate forum rules by saying things out of the ordinary.

Ok so a number of things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I.

First my friend's mom who was 96 years old in January,
she fell on the floor and ended up in the hospital.
Before she passed, she told her daughter, my friend A that she wanted to go back to her hometown.

That night when she passed, a boy from her hometown had a weird dream, and this boy was very much loved by the granny in the past.
The boy dreamed of the granny coming to see him. The boy had not known that granny had passed.

There is a saying in China, that when a family member passed, he is gonna take away his most beloved thing.
My friend A was granny's most cherished daughter.

A few days later, my friend A fell on the floor and had a fracture in her hand when she was taking out garbage. The fracture wasn't treated seriously by the doctor here in Canada, and her hand was swelling so badly.
Until 4 months later she just had another surgery, her hand seems fine now

Another traditional rule in China is, if a family member passed, then anyone from that family should NOT go visit any friends in the next 100 days, or it will bring serious bad luck to whoever they visit.

II.

So here comes my side of the story.
My mom's friend B died of brain cancer end of this March.
We were very good friends.

She donated her body to the hospital for research purposes, and she did help a guy to restore vision.
In China it's super important to make dead people rest in peace (e.g. burial / cremation + proper funeral). We don't believe she got what she needed in this case. We attended her funeral, though. During the funeral I was wearing a winter jacket. While I was looking at her portrait, I sensed a strong cold feeling and my heart was racing. My sixth sense told me something wasn't right.

A few days before her death, I was living in a friend's house with my sun conure.
My parrot was in his cage, he saw something really scary that I could not see, started screaming as loudly as he could, the kind of scream was like when he would be critically threatened by something dangerous.
He kept screaming for 5 minutes and even I couldn't calm him down.
He was crawling in the corner of his cage, and staring at a corner in the room where I saw nothing.

Then a few days later my mom's friend B died.

My sun's erratic behaviors happened a few more times in the past month or two.
And sometimes my sun would suddenly fly off my shoulder and started screaming without reasons.

My son was likely facing a similar situation before his fatal accident. I suspect he was startled by something we can't see.

III.

My friend B's husband came over to visit us 1-2 weeks ago.
Remember the 100 days no visit rule I said earlier?
It was like 50 days after her passing.
My parrot strongly disliked the husband, trying to bite him.

After he left, a few strange things happened to my family.

We were renovating our basement, one of our stone boards suddenly fell off and crashed into pieces.
The guys had to go to the store and get a new one.
And on their way back, they got caught in a car accident, nothing serious though.

Then last Thursday, I fell for an online ad and lost some money because I was mentally exhausted. I purchased a service that I didn't want initially.

I was really sad, and it was my son who made me feel better.
I hugged him so much that day.
Fast forward 2-3 days, my sun died.

He likely had erratic behaviors before the accident.

We believe that our parrot protected us from that serious bad luck that's about to happen, something as serious as taking me or my mom's life.

Now we are safe but our son is gone...

IV.

Mom's friend B died of brain cancer, and my parrot hit his head and broke his neck, there is some similarity.

Friend B was a Christian. Her funeral was held in her church.

Friend B loved birds a lot. She spent a lot of time watching wild birds in her yard during the last year of her life. She knew I had a cute parrot but never got to see him.

2 days after my son's passing, I learned from my mom that friend B hated several people and vowed to revenge on them. We were not among those obviously, but we are friends with one of those people (friend C). We visited friend C's place about 3 months ago. While friend C was approaching my sun conure as he perched on my shoulder, my son bite friend C so fast and hard, and it immediately draw blood.

To the best of my knowledge, the people whom are hated by friend B have not got into any accident. I suspect that she might have confused those people with us, after her passing of course.

After friend B's passing, she appeared in my mom's dream a few times. In the dream, she invited my mom to eat with her family. Everyone was there, and she asked my mom to sit at her old spot. My mom agreed.

Last edited:
OP
SunConureBaba

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Parrots
I still don't wanna believe this has happened.
I never cried so hard before.
According to my mom, my sun was standing on the kitchen table before he flew off to chase my mom.
My sun made many loud noise during the accident.
Not screams, but continuous loud hitting sound, almost like someone was damaging my house.

And on the floor I could see many small feathers from his front head fell off and formed a ring of radius like 5 cm, a very tidy pattern.
No feathers were found on the staircase or the wall.
It's super weird to see that pattern. Normally you would expect if my sun hit the stair case upwards, then his feathers would fall into a much bigger area.

It makes me think that my parrot hit the floor instead of the stair case.
This is so not like him.
My sun moved a distance after the initial hit because he wanted to approach us, and we realized he had an accident and rushed down the floor, it was too late.

My parrot was really good at flying.
He knew if he could not reach the destination, he would either land safely or fly back to where he started.

Usually when he would chase after me or my mom,
he would scream loudly beforehand to let us know he was coming.
This time, no scream at all, just the fatal hit.

Last edited:
OP
SunConureBaba

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Parrots
I'm so very sorry for your loss of your sweet boy. I have lost a couple of birds that way as well, and my heart hurts for you.
He showed how much he loves you by waiting to say goodbye to you. It's obvious you two had a special bond and that will always be there, in your heart.
Again, I am just so sorry.
Thank you for the kind word Terry. I'm heart broken and don't know how long it will take me to get over this. My mom said I should never get any pets again due to the heart wrenching pain in the case we lose them. I'm actually, stupidly waiting for the rebirth of my sun, and hope I find him one day so we can again be a family.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’m so sad to read your message.

Birds are definitely little persons who uniquely bond with us. My very old Quaker, Lucy, passed away two years ago after being with me for 22+ yrs. Through roommates, marriage, grad school, divorce, and many life and residence changes. I still miss her every day and am sad she passed at night while I was sleeping.

I think your bird hung on to say goodbye to you and clearly loved you very much.

I feel also that there was a special connection between Lucy and me that could not have been better. I hope and expect I will see her again. I’m not religious but I also can’t fathom that nothing goes on after our bodies die.

I hope your memories of your conure become a source of joy and not sadness.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thank you for the kind word Terry. I'm heart broken and don't know how long it will take me to get over this. My mom said I should never get any pets again due to the heart wrenching pain in the case we lose them. I'm actually, stupidly waiting for the rebirth of my sun, and hope I find him one day so we can again be a family.
I hope so, too. I have met some new bird friends but not yet found Lucy. I think she was an enlightened being-so smart and peaceful- and I wonder if she has been taken up?

OP
SunConureBaba

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Parrots
I’m so sad to read your message.

Birds are definitely little persons who uniquely bond with us. My very old Quaker, Lucy, passed away two years ago after being with me for 22+ yrs. Through roommates, marriage, grad school, divorce, and many life and residence changes. I still miss her every day and am sad she passed at night while I was sleeping.

I think your bird hung on to say goodbye to you and clearly loved you very much.

I feel also that there was a special connection between Lucy and me that could not have been better. I hope and expect I will see her again. I’m not religious but I also can’t fathom that nothing goes on after our bodies die.

I hope your memories of your conure become a source of joy and not sadness.
Thank you for the kind words. We treat our birds as family members, especially if Lucy had accompanied you for a long time. I'm sorry to hear that. I wish her soul rest in peace and will reunite with you one day.

I was expecting my boy to be with me for 30+ years....

OP
SunConureBaba

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Parrots
Another detail I should mention.
My neighbor used to own 3 budgies. A few months ago his grandson came over and fed the budgies something, all 3 were dead.
2 days ago, my neighbor was doing yard sale, and my mom got the budgies' cage for $5. I always wanted a travel cage for my sun.
Initially, I told my mom that the cage was going to bring bad luck and asked her to throw it out.
My mom washed it with high pressure water and dried it. I changed my mind.
I put my son inside that cage and walked around my neighborhood for the first time.
My sun conure was excited, and nothing weird happened.

Everything was fine until the accident. My son was very healthy till the very end.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
**Hugs** So sorry to hear of your Sun/son's passing. It sucks when they get into accidents. **HUgs again** I very much believe that it could have been a supernatural event that you experienced. I believe my curent Peach Front Conure is the reincarnated soul of my past Peach Front , who was also my first conure.

OP
SunConureBaba

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Parrots
**Hugs** So sorry to hear of your Sun/son's passing. It sucks when they get into accidents. **HUgs again** I very much believe that it could have been a supernatural event that you experienced. I believe my curent Peach Front Conure is the reincarnated soul of my past Peach Front , who was also my first conure.
It would scare me if my son's passing was due to supernatural cause.

Why do you believe that your current conure is the reincarnation of your first?

About 24+ years ago, my mom saw a baby magpie fell out of its nest. A lot of people were there, my mom went ahead and picked it up. We took care of the magpie for 1 year. I remember the kind of screech it would make when he begged for his favorite food. It was kinda similar to the noise my sun made (not as loud). We released the magpie back to nature. He came back to see us twice, and he finally went away, probably because his new flock moved.

I have a feeling that my sun could also be a reincarnation of the magpie. However, the magpie was nowhere as affectionate / intelligent as my sun. Though magpies are supposed to be a lot smarter than suns.

Last edited:

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
It would scare me if my son's passing was due to supernatural cause.

Why do you believe that your current conure is the reincarnation of your first?

About 24+ years ago, my mom saw a baby magpie fell out of its nest. A lot of people were there, my mom went ahead and picked it up. We took care of the magpie for 1 year. I remember the kind of screech it would make when he begged for his favorite food. It was kinda similar to the noise my sun made (not as loud). We released the magpie back to nature. He came back to see us twice, and he finally went away, probably because his new flock moved.

I have a feeling that my sun could also be a reincarnation of the magpie. However, the magpie was nowhere as affectionate / intelligent as my sun. Though magpies are supposed to be a lot smarter than suns.
Their birthdays are around the same time, from the same pet store and from the same parents. They're both very sweet birds and they're both peach front conures. Plus they just FEEL the same. :) It's pretty cool.

freshprincess87

Dec 30, 2016
Australia
Parrots
8 little lovebirds
I'm really sorry you lost your son, Sunconurebaba. I'm also currently coping with losing three ducks whom were murdered by a trespassing dog a week ago. It's extremely hard. I feel your pain. I especially admire that you refer to him as son, and his species is a sun conure. I made the mistake of letting my ducks get fresh air, thinking they were protected in a playpen, but the playpen ended up trapping them and they were killed. My mum (who lives in another state) also said many times after I told her what happened, she couldn't understand, we had let one of the ducks outside many times before without issue. Why all of a sudden when we start to let the younger ducks outside as well, this tragedy happened? Why was the dog there and not contained by it's owner? I think of these things everyday, and I keep replaying what I could have done differently that day as well. I feel broken most of the time and I'm struggling to get through each day, as it feels like they have no meaning anymore. Writing posts on this forum has helped and provided some comfort. Because the people who read the posts and reply, truly do understand our pain.

I think you went through a lot with your son. I think he loved you a lot, and that you loved him a lot too. I also have lovebirds, and like you, they have been with me the last 6 years as I went through university. I struggled with some subjects at the beginning and I just remember them being there in the next room chattering away and they gave me motivation to push myself and keep trying. They watched me cry, they watched me scream in relief when I figured something out. When I broke down mentally last year and had to organise medical exemptions from my study requirements, my ducks, who were only tiny ducklings at the time, were with me the whole time. And as I navigated myself with dealing with my emotions and stress, they were with me, while they were growing up themselves.

Your son sounds like he was the most wonderful companion. And I think he knows how much you loved him. And he loved you a lot too especially if he protected you and your mum.

I sometimes believe in some superstitious/supernatural things. It depends on what it is though. Sometimes I think things happen for a reason. But sometimes I think, why does it have to happen in such a cruel way? Or so suddenly, when we think it's just a normal day and that we are going to do our usual things, and then all of a sudden things take a turn, and life has changed in the most horrible way ever.

Please know, that you aren't alone in grieving right now. And that it will bring a bit of comfort to talk to the people here on the forums because they understand our pain. Sometimes our friends or family in real life do not understand our pain or play it down, when i comes to a pet passing. Because they don't understand. Just know that you aren't alone. And I strongly feel that your son loved you and that he knew that you loved him a lot as well.

OP
SunConureBaba

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Parrots
Their birthdays are around the same time, from the same pet store and from the same parents. They're both very sweet birds and they're both peach front conures. Plus they just FEEL the same. :) It's pretty cool.
This is very good to know! I hope my son could find his peace and reincarnate as soon as possible. I hope to see him again one day.

OP
SunConureBaba

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Parrots
I'm really sorry you lost your son, Sunconurebaba. I'm also currently coping with losing three ducks whom were murdered by a trespassing dog a week ago. It's extremely hard. I feel your pain. I especially admire that you refer to him as son, and his species is a sun conure. I made the mistake of letting my ducks get fresh air, thinking they were protected in a playpen, but the playpen ended up trapping them and they were killed. My mum (who lives in another state) also said many times after I told her what happened, she couldn't understand, we had let one of the ducks outside many times before without issue. Why all of a sudden when we start to let the younger ducks outside as well, this tragedy happened? Why was the dog there and not contained by it's owner? I think of these things everyday, and I keep replaying what I could have done differently that day as well. I feel broken most of the time and I'm struggling to get through each day, as it feels like they have no meaning anymore. Writing posts on this forum has helped and provided some comfort. Because the people who read the posts and reply, truly do understand our pain.

I think you went through a lot with your son. I think he loved you a lot, and that you loved him a lot too. I also have lovebirds, and like you, they have been with me the last 6 years as I went through university. I struggled with some subjects at the beginning and I just remember them being there in the next room chattering away and they gave me motivation to push myself and keep trying. They watched me cry, they watched me scream in relief when I figured something out. When I broke down mentally last year and had to organise medical exemptions from my study requirements, my ducks, who were only tiny ducklings at the time, were with me the whole time. And as I navigated myself with dealing with my emotions and stress, they were with me, while they were growing up themselves.

Your son sounds like he was the most wonderful companion. And I think he knows how much you loved him. And he loved you a lot too especially if he protected you and your mum.

I sometimes believe in some superstitious/supernatural things. It depends on what it is though. Sometimes I think things happen for a reason. But sometimes I think, why does it have to happen in such a cruel way? Or so suddenly, when we think it's just a normal day and that we are going to do our usual things, and then all of a sudden things take a turn, and life has changed in the most horrible way ever.

Please know, that you aren't alone in grieving right now. And that it will bring a bit of comfort to talk to the people here on the forums because they understand our pain. Sometimes our friends or family in real life do not understand our pain or play it down, when i comes to a pet passing. Because they don't understand. Just know that you aren't alone. And I strongly feel that your son loved you and that he knew that you loved him a lot as well.
Thank you for comforting me.

I feel very sorry for your loss too. Ducks are affectionate birds and I used to own a few when I was a kid. They would follow me around everywhere. Did you let your ducks out in the front yard or backyard? The backyard is usually safe as it's fenced. I used to let my son out in the backyard without protection. He flew off my shoulder to my neighbors backyard twice. The two neighbors he visited are good friends of mine, and they do not own big dogs unlike my other neighbors, so I could retrieve my son quickly.

I used to put my son in his cage in my backyard too. Then I noticed there were giant golden eagles in my area, at least 8 of them. They showed no interest in my son though, and my son was curious to see them flying. After that I would supervise my son everytime I took him out.

Now I'm beginning to accept the fact that my son is gone. I think you should too. Don't blame yourself. I'm still depressed and cries a lot though. I know my son would not want to see me so sad. I was doing job search but now I have to pause it.

Sometimes things just happen out of your control. I had the feeling from about 2 months ago that there was something out there trying to kill my son, since the first time he went berserk in his cage, terrified screaming nonstop at nothing. Birds can see things we can't see (ultraviolet lights), they can sense electromagnetic fields. My son would not startle for nothing. And when they do, they would fly off with full force in random directions. I think this is what lead to my son's accident. And I have reasons to believe that this was a supernatural event.

There was another time when he would shake his head left and right rapidly, sneezing, and fly in circles. I was terrified and realized that he was choked by something. I fixed that in no time. However, I could not save him 2 days ago. I knew the hit was fatal and I'm no surgeon. I gave my son the best anti-inflammatory, calming, fast acting pain killer I have (super concentrated reishi spore oil), and watched him passing peacefully. He was lying in my hands on my bed, looking at me, and slowly closed his eyes while I kissed him.

I'm no longer welcomed by screams when I get up from the bed in the morning, cuz my son is gone. I left his cage open at his favorite spot, and put fresh water and food in it, just in case his soul may come back one day so he can have something to eat.

I visit his grave a few times everyday, pray that he would find his peace and reincarnate so we can be a family again.

Last edited:
OP
SunConureBaba

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Parrots
Maybe it's not healthy to keep wanting my son to come back to me after his passing. I should instead encourage my son to get on his next journey. I will do a small ritual for him this coming Sunday.
I believe my son has protected my family, and his sacrifice earned him a huge amount of good karma. According to Buddhism, those with the best karma will reincarnate as human. I hope my son will do so and I look forward to seeing him one day.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I have no answers... only hope and admiration and support. I am so glad you're here to access our unique Community. You are dealing in Love. Lots of it. I feel that. Thank you for sharing it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts